Who would you choose 1st overall? (non Oiler fans)

Erza Scarlet

following the mantle
Jun 9, 2011
Requiem
I'm not really that impressed from anyone in the top 10 aside from Hubredeau, Strome, Hamilton and Hopkins but I'll still take Hopkins 1st overall

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Huberdeau... He's only gone up in rankings. If given another 2-3 months of hockey..he would surpass RNH and be number 1 ranked player.

Regina Pat

Keep Kadri
May 16, 2010
The ODR
Ryan Nugent Hopkins, but it is a VERY close call.

I'm prone to favorite guys like Landeskog though. I feel like leaders such as him don't come around often.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Couturier. Ideally, i'd look to trade down a couple spots if possible to grab him, but since this says 'no trades'...i'd just take him at #1. When you hear people down on him and you get the 'Jordan Staal' comments and the 'low ceiling' type things, it doesn't really worry me. To be honest, i think a Jordan Staal type would be a great fit between Eberle and Hall on the Oilers top line. The size and defensive acumen Couturier coud bring to that line would make it better as a whole...and i still think a lot of people are discounting Couturier's offensive upside far too much. So it seems like a relatively 'safe' pick, with a ton of upside. I'm a big fan of that.

RNH is enticing with the skill he shows, but the size is definitely a concern for me...in that sitation. I'm all for BPA to an extent, but at some point you do have to consider team needs and the situation a player will fit into, especially when there is no surefire consensus BPA.

ComradeChris

May 15, 2010
If I'm Edmonton I look at what next ears draft is gonna be like before making a final choice for this one. They WILL have the #1 pick both years. I say take Larsson this year and take a number 1 center next year. There is always a number one center in a draft... franchise defenseman aren't always present. Then again it could be the opposite because I have no idea what the 2012 draft will be like.

Jean Ralphio

Dec 13, 2008
If I'm Edmonton I look at what next ears draft is gonna be like before making a final choice for this one. They WILL have the #1 pick both years. I say take Larsson this year and take a number 1 center next year. There is always a number one center in a draft... franchise defenseman aren't always present. Then again it could be the opposite because I have no idea what the 2012 draft will be like.

2012 actually is shaping up to be the year of the defenseman, there are a lot of high-end guys that should go in the top 10.

GroceryStick

FURDA
Jun 8, 2011
North Bay, ON
Edmonton should draft Larsson because he will be a stud in the nhl guaranteed. RNH could potentially be a star as well but I feel that if Edmonton drafts him they will start him in the nhl next year which will stun his development. Example Sam Gagner.
Whoever drafts RNH needs to let him play one more junior season.

The only players that could possibly step in this year are Larsson, Landeskog and possibly Coutourier.

Jean Ralphio

Dec 13, 2008
Edmonton should draft Larsson because he will be a stud in the nhl guaranteed. RNH could potentially be a star as well but I feel that if Edmonton drafts him they will start him in the nhl next year which will stun his development. Example Sam Gagner.
Whoever drafts RNH needs to let him play one more junior season.

The only players that could possibly step in this year are Larsson, Landeskog and possibly Coutourier.

I don't understand why people use this (flawed) argument so often. He put up 49 points as an 18 year-old. How would another season in London been better for his development? He was on pace for a career high in points this year before a freak injury ended his season.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Sticking with my boy Lando. Had him as my #1 choice back when Couturier was the #1 ranked guy....

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Answer it this way...

I think posters here are answering this the wrong way. Don't pretend you're the Oilers GM and try to fit a prospect into their team...

...Instead pretend you're the GM of an expansion team and had no players. The slate is 100% clean...

Who do you draft as the first player ever for your franchise...?

Kershaw

I think posters here are answering this the wrong way. Don't pretend you're the Oilers GM and try to fit a prospect into their team...

...Instead pretend you're the GM of an expansion team and had no players. The slate is 100% clean...

Who do you draft as the first player ever for your franchise...?

If that is the scenario, I'd pick RNH or Landeskog since they seem like players to market around.

dm1371

May 29, 2010
Chicoutimi, QC
RNH makes alot more sense to me than Couturier, because let's face it: Edmonton needs a top 6 center badly.. Horcoff just doesn't fit there anymore and Hall needs a guy who can set him up, this is all RNH. Plus, Edmonton has the 19th pick that they could use to draft a d-man(their secondary need) like Musil, Oleksiak or maybe even move up to get a guy like Siemens or Beaulieu

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
RNH for me. Worst case scenario he's a good 2nd line C, but I see him becoming a star #1 C, maybe not a Datsyuk level player, but I think he has a good shot at becoming a Brad Richards level player in his prime. He's a fantastic skater with elite vision, he's super shifty, he's a very good puck handler, he has a hard and accurate wrister that he releases quickly, basically just a stud in terms of offensive skills. Sure he's a bit skinny at the moment (though height wise he's fine, so will hopefully fill out), and he sometimes isn't as dominant 5 on 5 as you'd like, but he looks to have clearly the most star potential to me. The way I see it, the other 1st overall options seem to me like semi long shots to become true stars, most look more like just solid players (Larsson seems like he'll be more of an Ohlund type, Landeskog seems like a rich man's Andrew Ladd, Couturier maybe a Travis Zajac), while RNH seem to have the tools/ability to become a true star on the level of someone like Brad Richards. At 1st overall I'm not settling for just a solid player, I want a star, and RNH seems more like a star to me than any of the other candidates.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
I don't understand why people use this (flawed) argument so often. He put up 49 points as an 18 year-old. How would another season in London been better for his development? He was on pace for a career high in points this year before a freak injury ended his season.

Because after 49 pts he put up 41 pts the next two years.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Thats debatable... IMO Larsson is the BPA. Edmonton has problems on both D and at C... However they have budding stars at Forward, not so much on D

Regardless of Edmonton's needs, it's BPA every time and to me that is Nugent-Hopkins. Huberdeau might be in the conversation but that's about it for me.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Larsson all day with this....Oilers have great forwards already, they are lacking a center but they have no defense either and a talent like Larsson does not come around every draft...Larsson will steady a defense and run a power play from the point and control the tempo of the game, he is a guy who can bring A LOT of offense from the point with his big shot and good passing ability, a PP quarter back is just what Edmonton needs to take more advantage of those power plays and open up the ice a bit more for the forwards so the other team has to worry about the offensive guy at the point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad