Who would you choose 1st overall? (non Oiler fans)

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
With all this talk about this draft having no real star talent at the top or no real consensus #1, I am interested in who others would pick for the Oilers. Assuming no trades, if you were Steve Tambelleni who would you select and why?

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
RNH......franchise caliber centers are harder to come by than defensemen

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Larsson. I think he could be a monster defender in the future, and with a team that (i think) has no young franchise d-men, having a young one in Larsson along with the already young offense would be beneficial.

saillias

Sep 6, 2004
Calgary
I would try to make a trade for established talent, there have been better drafts to have 1st overall. If that wasn't possible, I would trade down in the top 6 and pick up another 1st. In this draft I see the value of the pick itself being placed higher than the player you can get with that pick.

Edit: Assuming no trades, Couturier.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I think Couturier has the best chance of being the best player, and is the safest bet to be a top line center. Not saying someone else might not end up better (same would be said for all prospects), but that's who I'd take.

He's been the top point producer and best offensive player in this draft class for two straight years. Think about that in the context of draft history.

Look at other guys who were dominant a year before their draft year, and most of their production only went up a bit in their draft year. Specifically, guys like Crosby (17%), Stamkos (15%) and Hall (8%) all saw modest production gains versus their draft year peers, many of whom more than doubled their production. But it didn't mean they weren't the right "first pick". A guy like Tavares' production actually dropped in his draft year, and he likely only saved his 1st overall status with a stellar WJC (but not without argument).

For Couturier, his production increased by 17% this year on a ppg basis, despite having a worse team and mono to start the year. All this, and he was still the top ppg player in the enture CHL (let alone his draft class). Everyone says their are concerns about upside, and having watched him, I don't get it. He is a dominant player.

I know people point at numbers, but offensive players are defined by production, and there have been none better than Couturier. As such, and based on watching him play, I think he's the safest bet to be a premiere offensive centerman. There is no way this guys development has plateaud, anymore than it did for Crosby, Stamkos, Hall or Tavares in their draft years.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Couturier just seems like he would be the best fit. His two-way game complements Hall and Eberle giving them more freedom offensively. On top of which he has good vision, size and passing so it's not like he's an offensive slouch either.

Coco the Monkey*

Aug 31, 2010
Couturier just seems like he would be the best fit. His two-way game complements Hall and Eberle giving them more freedom offensively. On top of which he has good vision, size and passing so it's not like he's an offensive slouch either.

He won't be able to catch up with them.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
RNH or Larsson. Probably RNH seeing as how Oilers have struggled to develop centers.

It does create some challenges if they pick him. I can't see RNH and Gagner as your two scoring line centers. Too easy to play against, I suspect.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Couturier or RNH. I like RNH's offensive skills, but his size is a bit concerning. Couturier has the full package and I love his size and defensive skills. Toss up.

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
With all this talk about this draft having no real star talent at the top or no real consensus #1, I am interested in who others would pick for the Oilers. Assuming no trades, if you were Steve Tambelleni who would you select and why?

Either Larsson, the most NHL-ready defenseman of the bunch, or Landeskog, the most NHL-ready forward of the bunch. The Oilers need more talent that can start to help immediately.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
Considering if I was the GM for the Oilers, I would do what most GM's should do. Listen to my scouts. Everything the Oilers scouts have said makes it seem that RNH is the best player in the draft. So I would draft him.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
If my scouts think RNH is the best, I take him there. Then I target D with 19/31. Possibly use one my 3rds (61/73) to move up from 31 if only for the PR of walking out with three first rounders. RNH + two of Oleksiak/Beaulieu/Morrow/Klefbom/Morrow/C.Murphy/Mayfield/Musil seems like a pretty solid haul.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad