Who starts opening night?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I personally think how the schedule works out:

Bernier gets Opening Night
Reimer gets Flyers, Sens, Avalanche.

then you go from there. (I'd persume that Bernier would get the new two teams (Oil & Predators).

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Reimer has finished top10 in sv% 2 of his 3 seasons, and outplayed bernier so far in the nhl.

Reimer has also outplayed bernier this preseason.

I can kind of understand the thinking that bernier may earn the starting job this year, but man, he has to EARN it.

Handing him the opening night start when reimer has clearly earned it is not only a slap in reimer's face, but a slap in the team's face as well.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
For the record:

Vs. MTL:

Reimer: 8gms, 4-3-0, 2.69gaa, 2so, .919sv%
Bernier: 2gms, 0-2-0, 3.03gaa, 0so, .900sv%

Vs. PHI:

Reimer: 5gms, 2-3-0, 3.23gaa, 0so, .903sv%
Bernier: 1gms, 0-1-0, 10.84gaa, 0so, .727sv%

yikes.

just give Reimer both the starts. no need to force a competition that one goalie is winning anyways.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
He actually makes less money than Kessel and is suspended so that logic is a bit flawed as well. :naughty:

Perhaps the biggest difference and most relevant would be the fact that we didn't give up any assets for Clarkson. We definitely did for Bernier.

Bernier in Montreal

Reimer in Toronto

Edit: I thought that they were playing the Flyers at home.

Habs: Bernier
Flyers: Reimer
Sens: Reimer
Avs: Bernier

Last edited:

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Reimer has finished top10 in sv% 2 of his 3 seasons, and outplayed bernier so far in the nhl.

Reimer has also outplayed bernier this preseason.

I can kind of understand the thinking that bernier may earn the starting job this year, but man, he has to EARN it.

Handing him the opening night start when reimer has clearly earned it is not only a slap in reimer's face, but a slap in the team's face as well.

I'll have to disagree with you here. Given that the game is being played in Bernier's home town against the team that I'm presuming he cheered for as a kid, I think that Reimer would understand.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Absolutely shocked that Bernier isn't winning this poll. Not that I think those people or anyone are wrong but because of our usual new toy syndrome.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
They've been even in preseason (maybe a slight edge to Reimer), but I will go James here just because of the fact that he was dominant against the Habs in '12-'13. Bernier starts the next night against Philadelphia.

Azura

Nov 16, 2007
Absolutely shocked that Bernier isn't winning this poll. Not that I think those people or anyone are wrong but because of our usual new toy syndrome.

I'm not. People love Reimer and his nice guy persona. Bernier is the guy threatening their favourite.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

the poll would have been different two weeks ago.

now that we've had our first taste of seeing side to side, some people are realizing that maybe reimer ain't so bad.

Azura

Nov 16, 2007
No one really thinks Reimer is that bad. It's just that Bernier has the potential to be better.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Reimer. The incumbent deserves it, especially considering Bernier hasn't outplayed him.

This whole hometown thing is completely overrated IMO. Bernier can get the start the next time the Leafs are in Montreal.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I'll have to disagree with you here. Given that the game is being played in Bernier's home town against the team that I'm presuming he cheered for as a kid, I think that Reimer would understand.

So Bernier will want to win more, and thus try harder? IMO this is a ridiculous argument.

When Bernier takes the net, he can have it. Until then, Reimer is our starter and, as such, is in the net for the opener.

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
For the record:

Vs. MTL:

Reimer: 8gms, 4-3-0, 2.69gaa, 2so, .919sv%
Bernier: 2gms, 0-2-0, 3.03gaa, 0so, .900sv%

Vs. PHI:

Reimer: 5gms, 2-3-0, 3.23gaa, 0so, .903sv%
Bernier: 1gms, 0-1-0, 10.84gaa, 0so, .727sv%

yikes.

just give Reimer both the starts. no need to force a competition that one goalie is winning anyways.

Nice sample size you have for Bernier there. 3 games obviously that number is enough to judge a goalie on. For a person who solely relies on statistics you seem to have no clue about the most basic concept.

I personally have nothing against either goalie but your personal bias for Reimer is freaking hilarious.

BayStreetBullies*

I personally have nothing against either goalie but your personal bias for Reimer is freaking hilarious.

To be fair, it seems that most of the bias is for "team Bernier". I guess a lot of people on here don't realize they both play for the same team.

cujoflutie

So Bernier will want to win more, and thus try harder? IMO this is a ridiculous argument.

When Bernier takes the net, he can have it. Until then, Reimer is our starter and, as such, is in the net for the opener.

It's more of a case of doing a solid for the player. Starting in Montreal would mean more for Bernier than it would for Reimer. Same as how starting in Winnipeg would mean more for Reimer than it would for Bernier.

I don't have a horse in the race, I want whichever one gives the leafs a better chance to start (and I'm not sure who that is at this point). That being said I'm of the mindset that it was Reimers job to lose and he hasn't done that yet. Both played like #1 goalies in the pre season.

Carlyle has always been known to ride the hot goalie as opposed to scheduled starts regardless of whom he has anointed as the starter; In Anaheim he rode Bryz and Hiller for stretches despite them being considered the backups and of course Hiller did eventually take over for Jiggy. Last year he did start Scrivens over a healthy Reimer in consecutive games twice. So it's not like whomever starts more games in October will automatically get 50 more starts. I'd wager if we get a shutout on opening night, he'll go back to that same guy against Philly.

marquee

Apr 7, 2011
Based on that logic, Clarkson should be #1RW ahead of Kessel. :laugh:

See now your ignoring the talent gap between both wingers.

With the investment they made in bernier due to politics bernier most likely will end up being the starter and given more rope.

It don't matter who starts day 1.

marquee

Apr 7, 2011

Meh. There has been a love affair with Reimer since 2011 summer.

How else can you explain Zeke using irrelevant stats such as wings..or solely looking at save % and ignoring other peripherals.

But hey not all of us compare starters to backups.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
wait a sec - how can I do both of those?

a) use irrelevant stats like wins
b) solely look at save%

pretty sure it's impossible to do both.

what "peripherals" did you want to look at, btw? because I can assure you they're all in Reimer's favor, too.

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
To be fair, it seems that most of the bias is for "team Bernier". I guess a lot of people on here don't realize they both play for the same team.

I don't have a problem with people prefering one goalie over another. The issue I have with Zekes post is the way he uses his statistics, in that he doesn't use statistical evidence to come to a conclusion. He instead comes to a conclusion first and then he specifically searches for statistics that support his points, like the post I was quoting.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I don't have a problem with people prefering one goalie over another. The issue I have with Zekes post is the way he uses his statistics, in that he doesn't use statistical evidence to come to a conclusion. He instead comes to a conclusion first and then he specifically searches for statistics that support his points, like the post I was quoting.

How do I do this?

I'm pretty sure I've used every single stat in the world in my stats comparisons.

which stats am I ignoring? how am I being selective?

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
wait a sec - how can I do both of those?

a) use irrelevant stats like wins
b) solely look at save%

pretty sure it's impossible to do both.

what "peripherals" did you want to look at, btw? because I can assure you they're all in Reimer's favor, too.

I agree that Bernier has not played as well as Reimer in preseason. But here you are using a sample of 3 games to prove that Reimer has played better than Bernier against the same opponents.

If I have time, ill look into the last 82 games played by both goalies. Using statistics then that will show more accurately who has played better statistically.

BayStreetBullies*

I don't have a problem with people prefering one goalie over another.

Right now there is absolutely no reason to prefer one goalie over the other. It's important to remember that the name on the front of the jersey is more important than the name on the back.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Right now there is absolutely no reason to prefer one goalie over the other. It's important to remember that the name on the front of the jersey is more important than the name on the back.

That's because people are too busy being delusional thinking they somehow run this team.

Reimer isn't the starter. Bernier isn't the starter. It doesn't matter one damn bit what anyone thinks or who they hope will be the starter. As of right now this is a duel for that #1 spot and it's likely that no one guy has the advantage over the other in the eyes of those who call the shots. For anyone to suggest otherwise, they probably just like to hear themselves talk because it's all garbage at this point. The stupid hashtags and arguments, so trivial and childish and you shouldn't expect those people to pay attention to your post...it's too sensible for them :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad