Who starts opening night?

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
You'll never convince some people until you can find something on this nonsensical "rebound control" fetish that Glen Healy started.

Best way to "measure" that is count the number of second and third chances they give up. If there is a shot released (doesn't have to be on net) within 2-3s after a save, then the rebound landed in a bad spot.

Unfortunately, noone keeps tracking useful stats like that. The NHL statistians are at least a decade behind on technology.

BayStreetBullies*

Maybe to a point but one has played many more games than the other. Bernier was also acquired based on his potential which is higher than Reimer's.

Realized potential > unrealized potential, just saying.

gustavsson50

Jul 19, 2010
Brampton
Been seeing this alot lately on alot of blogs that some ppl want reimer to do good and some ppl want bernier to do good. Why cant we cheer for both of them. They both r leafs and thats what I m cheering for. I hope they both rip it.

Penalty Kill Icing*

If Bernier starts the first game this season, then our opening night goalies for last few seasons would be:

2013-14: Bernier
2013: Scrivens
2011-12: Reimer
2010-11: Giguere
2009-10: Toskala
2008-09: Toskala
2007-08: Raycroft.

We have had a totally different goalie starting the opening night for us for all but one years. :laugh:

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
Reimer. He's not losing the #1 spot based on meaningless preseason performances.

Patience

Sep 8, 2013
Carlyle said he'll alternate them. Bernier started last night, presumably Reimer starts tonight. Bernier starts in Montreal, Reimer in Philadelphia.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
originally I would have said Bernier and ultimately I think he will be the #1 guy
he's TL's guy

but considering the preseason and Reimer being the incumbent he should get the start.

Bernier hasn't done anything to supplant him and Reimer hasn't done anything to deserve not being the starter.

agree with this. also, noticed bernier just got bombed in the stats although i missed the last 1/2 of the game last night. what i can say is that we looked sloppy at times and detroit looked...precise. you can't seem to make mistakes against them with them walking all over your face.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
He hasn't had the chance to realize it yet. Now is his chance and we'll see if he can or not.

This reminds me of Favre vs. Rodgers. Fans always love what they know vs. what they dont.

If Bernier performs at the level he is capable of playing then Reimer will be an afterthought.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Come on guys

Bern is way better than Reim

Bern > Reim

Please vote for Bern - no favoritism please (enough said)

Go Leafs Go

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Have to say, it's a tough choice, but Reimer has had the slight edge in preseason in terms of sv percentage, wins. Bernier played only one full preseason game it's a small sample size. Carlyle will probably take what he saw in scrimmages into the decision. I think Carlyle will give Bernier every chance to take the 1 spot, unless he melts down in a few consecutive games. So I wouldn't be surprised if Bernier is in net opening night. I like his rebound control, glove hand better than Reimer's, I like Reimers size, battling instincts, but his rebounds produce, roughly, an extra 5 chances a night.

I love Reimers attitude, you can see he is a little mad when people ask him about Bernier...gives the right answer stating just wants to be at his best when the season starts, let's his play do the talking.

In the end, I think Bernier will play around 50 games, Reimer will get the rest.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
McLaren is injured so the answer is obvious. Save Bernier for Philly when the Leafs may need another fighter.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I still think that Bernier is giving the Montreal start because he's from the Montreal area and they then come back with Reimer against Philadelphia.

The Reaper

Men of Mayhem
Dec 29, 2010
Canada
Come on guys

Bern is way better than Reim

Bern > Reim

Please vote for Bern - no favoritism please (enough said)

Go Leafs Go

What has Bernier done to warrant that he is better than Reims?

Reims has had a better career and is much more experienced sooo yea Reims is better

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
What has Bernier done to warrant that he is better than Reims?

Reims has had a better career and is much more experienced sooo yea Reims is better

To be fair, if Reims was in LA instead of Toronto he wouldn't have much of a career either so far. Dare I say, he wouldn't be as highly touted as Bernier either. But I get it, if ifs and buts were candies and nuts we'd all have a merry Christmas.

SkateSave

Dec 15, 2009
Reimer should start.

He had a successful season last year. It isn't like the leafs trading for Cujo when Potvin had a shaky year.

He was here first and he played well.

Goalie battle will add some fun this year. Hopefully it isn't too heated to become a distraction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->