Who starts opening night?

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Reimer should start.

He had a successful season last year. It isn't like the leafs trading for Cujo when Potvin had a shaky year.

He was here first and he played well.

Goalie battle will add some fun this year. Hopefully it isn't too heated to become a distraction.

Fact check: They signed Cujo as a UFA; they didn't trade for him.

Penalty Kill Icing*

Fact check: They signed Cujo as a UFA; they didn't trade for him.

If you replace the word 'traded for' with 'brought in', his point still applies. Time to ignore minor details.

Avec Fromage*

Bernier starts Montreal. Reimer plays Philadelphia and the home opener.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
If you replace the word 'traded for' with 'brought in', his point still applies. Time to ignore minor details.

I never said his point didn't apply. I'd prefer that posts didn't give people an inaccurate version of Leaf history.

Perhaps, I was assuming too much when I labeled it as "Fact check" -- which, to me anyway, implies a minor factual correction. Perhaps I should have stated more clearly that it didn't invalidate the point of the post.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
The stronger goalie should get the start. At the moment it seems like that goalie is James Reimer.

Enough with the hometown boy nonsense, Reimer and the habs have a history and I'm sure he's just as eager to get the start as Bernier.

For the moment I'm also going to assume that we haven't been lied to and that the Leafs plan on giving Reimer a fair chance at retaining his starting role. If this is the case then they need to show more faith in him than hfboard seems to.

SkateSave

Dec 15, 2009
I never said his point didn't apply. I'd prefer that posts didn't give people an inaccurate version of Leaf history.

Perhaps, I was assuming too much when I labeled it as "Fact check" -- which, to me anyway, implies a minor factual correction. Perhaps I should have stated more clearly that it didn't invalidate the point of the post.

Fairly enough corrected. I knew he was UFA but I was in Bernier mode.

Mansfield

possession obsession
Apr 4, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Should be reimer. He was excellent for us last year and has clearly been superior to bernier in preseason, by a fairly large margin too.

that said, wouldn't be surprised if bernier got it given the hometown thing

RoyalGremlin

The future is now.
Jun 19, 2007
Before preseason, Bernier. Now, Reimer deserves it. Even if Bernier has fancier stickhandling, which I love, Reimer's stopped more.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Reimer deserves to play the season opener, he just plain out outplayed Bernier in the pre-season. Both were very good but I thought Reimer looked more in control. Bernier gave up some questionable goals at times, where as Reimer was the only reason we were in some of the games.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
reimer starts against habs

bernier against philly

whoever had best game gets third start until he loses
then repeat

It will most likely be as you say but by mid-season in my mind you have to have a number 1 guy and stick with him. I don't see both going back and forth all year.

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
Come on guys

Bern is way better than Reim

Bern > Reim

Please vote for Bern - no favoritism please (enough said)

Go Leafs Go

Isn't this post favoritism right here?

Reimer hasn't done anything to lose the starting spot, in fact he's probably solidified himself in that role after his pre season play.

I hope that management doesn't try to push Reimer out of the starting role because Bernier has to earn it in my opinion.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
amazing how little Bernier has to do to "earn" starts around here.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
it'll be Reim Time in Montreal! I don't really care who plays as long as we win, but I think Reimer has earned the opening start. Unless Carlyle wants to play one of his annoying, nepotic, Gardiner-esque mind games and he gives the net to Bernier.

Penalty Kill Icing*

To further confirm the starter for tomorrow:

Mark Masters ‏@markhmasters 4m
Does Jonathan Bernier know what the plan is for tomorrow? 'No clue. I guess we'll find out in the warm-up.' (wry grin)

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Bwhahahaha. Love Leafs Lunch backtracking on the starter.

Last week (something such as this)

"Bernier is 100% the starter in Montreal"

today

"Reimer is 100% the starter tomorrow night"

Its like they're shocked Reimer just didnt role over and give up his job :laugh:

Azura

Nov 16, 2007
I'm fine with Reimer starting in Montreal. I'm working that night so I won't be able to watch the game anyway. The next night I'm free though so Bernier would be nice to see then.

The Hockey Life

Feb 27, 2011
Leafs Nation
Based on pre-season, its likely Reims will get the start. He wasn't that much better than Bernier, they both had 1 bad outing.

I think Reimer get's the nod now. So I will have to pay my buddy $5...

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad