Who starts opening night?

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
I'm pretty sure if you explain to Reimer the reason why Bernier is starting in Montreal and Reimer gets the start in Philadelphia. Then depending on how they play, one of them gets the home opener. I don't think James would be opposed to that.

Twist and Shout

Dec 30, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
I'm pretty sure if you explain to Reimer the reason why Bernier is starting in Montreal and Reimer gets the start in Philadelphia. Then depending on how they play, one of them gets the home opener. I don't think James would be opposed to that.

I'd like for this to happen because really, being the starter on opening night shouldn't count for much with the competition we anticipate between the two...but starting on opening night against one of our biggest rivals has to count for something and I'm sure both of them are dying to play in it, regardless of whose starting the next day.

cujoflutie

I can't believe I'm going to be the first one to bring this up but you folks remember Scrivens got the opening night nod vs. the habs last year? In fact the last leaf goalie to start the opening and closing game of a season was Andrew Raycroft back in 2006/07 and since people are bringing up the french goalie factor; that season the backup was JS Aubin and we did normally start him against the habs with mostly positive results. The season finale was a must win game against the habs. Raycroft started and got lit up. Aubin came in and the team came back and won.

I don't think it's automatic that French goalies do well there, for instance Jose Theodore has been terrible when visiting Montreal and MA Fleury's been lit up a few times there too.

Anyhow if it were up to me: Bernier gets the Habs, reimer the flyers for two reasons;
-the habs know Reimer better than Bernier
-the Flyers likely know Bernier better due to having a handful of ex-Kings.

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
I can't believe I'm going to be the first one to bring this up but you folks remember Scrivens got the opening night nod vs. the habs last year? In fact the last leaf goalie to start the opening and closing game of a season was Andrew Raycroft back in 2006/07 and since people are bringing up the french goalie factor; that season the backup was JS Aubin and we did normally start him against the habs with mostly positive results. The season finale was a must win game against the habs. Raycroft started and got lit up. Aubin came in and the team came back and won.

I don't think it's automatic that French goalies do well there, for instance Jose Theodore has been terrible when visiting Montreal and MA Fleury's been lit up a few times there too.

Anyhow if it were up to me: Bernier gets the Habs, reimer the flyers for two reasons;

Not necessarily. The Flyers play the Leafs 4 times in a season. I'm sure they would've picked up on something by now.

Mr Scarface*

Pretty good analyzis up there on the french goalies. Patrick Roy was always very good against frenchie teams after he got canned.

I agree on the bottom as well. Bernier for the Habs and Reimer for the Flyers what I've think. (With british accent).

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
It should be Reimer, he's the incumbent and he's arguably had a better pre-season, though Bernier has been solid as well in limited minutes.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Don't think it matters. Both have had solid outings in preseason. But if Bernier fails to completely a full game with his next start in preseason, maybe Reimer should be the shoe in for the first game :laugh:

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Reimers earned the first game. Both have made some great saves, both have let in a couple of softies, but overall, very impressed with both. Probably want to save Bernier's pugilistic skills for flyers in Philly.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Reimer. Imo, he hasn't done enough to lose the starters job yet and Bernier hasn't done enough to take it from him.

They have both played well.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
I think people need to stop saying that Reimer hasn't done anything 'to lose' the starting job. From everything Nonis has said, he wants the two goalies to push each other competitively and eventually have one of them establish themselves as the number one. No matter how people on here feel about it, management has made it very clear that the position is for either goalie to 'earn', not for one to 'to keep' and the other 'to win'. Some may not like it but there's no point in arguing amongst ourselves about it. Regardless of our individual feelings on the matter, the decisions aren't ours to make.

Kyle Doobas*

Although I just spent the entire summer arguing with the 15-20 of Reimer's relatives who apparently post here, to me, it makes much more sense for Bernier to start in Philly. It'd be throwing him to the wolves a bit, I think, to start him vs. Montreal, with it being in his home province, opening night, etc.

It'd be interesting to see how he responded in that type of situation, but at the end of the day you want to give your team the best chance to win, and Reimer has been there before and played really well, so it'd be a pretty easy call for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mar 26, 2010
Bernier, for the simple fact that we are playing the habs and that game is in Montreal.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Bernier cuz he's the hometown kid. They've both been great so far in the pre-season.

And the people that are "#teamreimer" are not looking out for whats best for the team and should check themselves. Everyone should be hoping Bernier becomes the clear cut number one. If it is Reimer, we are stuck with a 3 million dollar backup, and Reimer would then get a big pay day at the end of the season making our already bad situation coming up, even worse. Look I get if you like the kid, but at the end of the day, we're all fans of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

There's no logical reason to hope Reimer emerges as our number 1 other than some bs feel good underdog story.

Last edited:

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Bernier needs to outshine Reimer in order to earn the number one spot, and he very well may at some point. However, he hasn't done that yet.

To not give the start to Reimer immediately causes a ton of stories and speculation about a goalie controversy.

Reimer gets the first start.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad