Who starts opening night?

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Reimer looks to be the starter

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 1h

Like my pal @GagnonFrancois, also hearing plan is for Reimer to start over Bernier tomorrow for Leafs in Montreal...

Francois Gagnon ‏@GagnonFrancois 4h

Unless randy Carlyle wants to surprise the #Habs, Jonathan Bernier will start his first game in MTL as a #Leafs on the bench. Reimer in!

Mikey88

Feb 18, 2010
Troll City
Either way it doesn't really matter who gets the 1st game but i would go with Reimer and then Bernier vs Philly. They will both get an even shot at being #1.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Couple of thoughts. Reimer definitely deserves to start over Bernier if we're talking pre season. Reims seems to be fighting for his career, in an interview he mentioned he was a homegrown product and bleeds for the organization so he's definitely stepped it up, I think he's differentiating himself from Bernier.

If I were to imagine the Leafs as a cup contender, I think I prefer the physical tools of a Bernier and that confidence and nonchalance he brings to the job to the underdog personality Reimer brings, but I can't say I'm all that impressed with Bernier's nonchalance and relative uncompetitiveness in pre season action. He hasn't proven anything but carries himself like an incumbent. He had great moments but not really air tight goaltending, which is what you want to see from a guy who wants to steal a job. He might need to show more fire.

But as long as the Leafs get great goaltending it doesn't matter who is starting.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
That really depends on who the Leafs would rather see Bernier go toe-to-toe with..

Carey Price or Mason/Emery the next day

:sarcasm:

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Choosing a #1 goalie off their personality. :facepalm:

Choose the #1 goalie off who plays the best on the ice.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I'll say it - i'm actually scared of putting Bernier in at this point. he has not looked good at all.

CanadianLov3

Feb 21, 2013
G😍 Leafs
I'll say it - i'm actually scared of putting Bernier in at this point. he has not looked good at all.

Come on zeke, really? I love Reimer just as much as you, but Bernier has been good. He's played tougher opponents and he was really good in scrimmage. He's looked good in net despite what the stats show.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I didn't like that horrawful goal he gave up the game before detroit, either.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
I didn't like that horrawful goal he gave up the game before detroit, either.

New system, new coaching, new team, new conference, new equipment.

I can understand him not lighting it up right now, but don't discount his talent over the course of a long season.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I drempt that the Leafs traded Reimer last night, and didn't get a very good return(I can't recall what they got).

I was pissed, then I woke up, Reimer was still here and Kessel was signed :laugh:

The Hockey Life

Feb 27, 2011
Leafs Nation

What? He's looked good other than the Red Wings game. He faced way harder opponents than Reimer in the preseason, but Reims deserves the start for his performance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad