Who should the Kraken take with the #2 overall pick?

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Tampa also can't trade any of their players to encourage Francis to draft Johnson because all their players have NTCs. And they can't expose other players to get Seattle to trade for Johnson because he won't waive either. It is an ugly catch 22 and they have very little leverage to move him, other than draft capital.

*EDIT*- Nevermind me, I am confused, as I thought Johnson's contract was only for two more years, but it looks like he actually has 3 more. But his NTC does become a 20 team NTC clause this offseason, but you are right, no one is taking that contract without serious compensation. Unfortunately, the players Seattle might be interested in as that compensation all have NTCs too.

Last edited:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Tampa also can't trade any of their players to encourage Francis to draft Johnson because all their players have NTCs. And they can't expose other players to get Seattle to trade for Johnson because he won't waive either. It is an ugly catch 22 and they have very little leverage to move him, other than draft capital.

what makes you thikn he won't waive and accept a trade to Seattle?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I think draft capital and prospects could be one thing. The other could simply be exposing a roster player (no NMC but NTC is fine) who they are willing to part with AND Seattle actually wants. Then add an agreement saying that when they waive Johnson we will take him as is.

Ofcourse that could mean even more salary for us so said player has to be very appealing to us.

Reactions: Gniwder

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I think it comes down to how good you think Berniers is actually going to be. I just dont see him as a top 3 pick in most drafts. I think he is being ranked higher than he should be because he is the only natural center in the top 10. I think more Radek Bonk or David Legwand (both fine players, but not worthy of top 3 picks)

I think he has a high floor with his tenacity, but I don't view his ceiling as a top center. I think if he peaks, it'll be as a decent two way 2nd line center, which is still pretty good, but having the chance to draft the 2nd overall pick doesn't happen all that often, so I'm more inclined to take a gamble on the high ceiling player when looking at the top of the draft.
And if Beniers isn't that high ceiling numero dos Centre then who is?Seattle takes beniers because it's easier to find Defensive players then Offensive players who play the game the right way...Beniers is the choice bank on it

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

*EDIT*- Nevermind me, I am confused, as I thought Johnson's contract was only for two more years, but it looks like he actually has 3 more. But his NTC does become a 20 team NTC clause this offseason, but you are right, no one is taking that contract without serious compensation. Unfortunately, the players Seattle might be interested in as that compensation all have NTCs too.
1) A deal can be made so that the arrangement is to claim Tyler from waivers
2) Players with NTC can be exposed in the expansion draft so Seattle can pick that player

Let me give you a ridiculous example, let's say the deal is to give Seattle Brayden Point to take TJ. Brayden is left exposed in the draft, TJ is waived and Seattle claims both. (I know TB isn't giving away Brayden, just using it as an example). You have to be creative, the GMs will be. The only players that TB can't deal are Kuch, Stamkos, Hedman, and Vas (NMCs). TJ is certainly past his prime, but the expansion draft is short on centers (no pun intended).

As for the Caps (your previous post), Seattle takes Vanacek. I love TJ Oshie, he's a great player and personality but he's getting old. There would have to be additional incentive (top prospect) to take Oshie, and I doubt they're willing to do that. The big deal here is that Vanacek is cheap, so it frees up room to sign at least one UFA.

As for UFAs, total payroll was a concern back when Francis was with Carolina. I don't think they were at the cap IIRC. Regardless, there are better deals out there because of the flat cap. I'm not a big fan of RNH, but I think Francis would have to consider him because otherwise the team doesn't have anyone remotely close to a top line center. (Yes, I know that's not his current role.)

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I think it comes down to how good you think Berniers is actually going to be. I just dont see him as a top 3 pick in most drafts. I think he is being ranked higher than he should be because he is the only natural center in the top 10. I think more Radek Bonk or David Legwand (both fine players, but not worthy of top 3 picks)

I think he has a high floor with his tenacity, but I don't view his ceiling as a top center. I think if he peaks, it'll be as a decent two way 2nd line center, which is still pretty good, but having the chance to draft the 2nd overall pick doesn't happen all that often, so I'm more inclined to take a gamble on the high ceiling player when looking at the top of the draft.
When Seattle GM is looking at Matty Beniers he is looking at a player that should remind him of himself when he was the 4th overall pick in the 1981 draft by Hartford Whalers. Francis was a 200 ft player who could score,check and do pretty much everything same as Beniers...those players don't just grow on trees everyday

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
what makes you thikn he won't waive and accept a trade to Seattle?
He's been in Tampa for a long time. He probably has a family that he doesn't want to move. He refused to accept a trade to anywhere last offseason, not entirely sure why he would accept one now if he wasn't forced to.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
And if Beniers isn't that high ceiling numero dos Centre then who is?Seattle takes beniers because it's easier to find Defensive players then Offensive players who play the game the right way...Beniers is the choice bank on it
There is not a consensus topline center in this draft, whereas there will probably be 4 of them in next years draft. This is part of the reason they are calling this draft a weak draft.

Finding a legitimate #1 defensman is not easier than finding a top line center. Both positions are extremely hard to fill as they are both just as equally rare.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I think draft capital and prospects could be one thing. The other could simply be exposing a roster player (no NMC but NTC is fine) who they are willing to part with AND Seattle actually wants. Then add an agreement saying that when they waive Johnson we will take him as is.

Ofcourse that could mean even more salary for us so said player has to be very appealing to us.
That could work, but that is a lot of salary to take on, as none of those deals could be retained on going this route.

Question, what player is worth taking on that much combined salary for? If I am Tampa, I am probably not giving up Point, Sergachev or Cirelli just to rid myself of Johnson when I can bury him in the minors. One year of Palat or 2 years of Killorn aren't really worth it. I bet Tampa would do Gourde, but 4 years of over 10 million of cap hit for Gourde and Johnson is not really worth it. That leaves Cernak maybe? Possibly McDonagh? Although that's a ton of cap too.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
1) A deal can be made so that the arrangement is to claim Tyler from waivers
2) Players with NTC can be exposed in the expansion draft so Seattle can pick that player

Let me give you a ridiculous example, let's say the deal is to give Seattle Brayden Point to take TJ. Brayden is left exposed in the draft, TJ is waived and Seattle claims both. (I know TB isn't giving away Brayden, just using it as an example). You have to be creative, the GMs will be. The only players that TB can't deal are Kuch, Stamkos, Hedman, and Vas (NMCs). TJ is certainly past his prime, but the expansion draft is short on centers (no pun intended).

As for the Caps (your previous post), Seattle takes Vanacek. I love TJ Oshie, he's a great player and personality but he's getting old. There would have to be additional incentive (top prospect) to take Oshie, and I doubt they're willing to do that. The big deal here is that Vanacek is cheap, so it frees up room to sign at least one UFA.

As for UFAs, total payroll was a concern back when Francis was with Carolina. I don't think they were at the cap IIRC. Regardless, there are better deals out there because of the flat cap. I'm not a big fan of RNH, but I think Francis would have to consider him because otherwise the team doesn't have anyone remotely close to a top line center. (Yes, I know that's not his current role.)
See my post above for disscussions on the waiver idea.

As for Washington, I agree . The sweetener would have to be a pretty nice piece on top of Oshie to keep Seattle from grabbing one of their goalies. But that brings us back to the original point, not many(if any) teams are willing to move top prospects to force seattle to take certain players over other players the way Florida, Anaheim, and Minnesota did with Vegas. And if you took out those three deals, there is no way Vegas has the success they have had so far this early on in their expansion.

RNH i a fine player, but he isn't a legit top line center playing with average wingers. Anyone that signs him to play that role is probably going to be extremely disappointed so I hope that isn't a consideration.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
When Seattle GM is looking at Matty Beniers he is looking at a player that should remind him of himself when he was the 4th overall pick in the 1981 draft by Hartford Whalers. Francis was a 200 ft player who could score,check and do pretty much everything same as Beniers...those players don't just grow on trees everyday
I saw Francis play live his rookie season, the first jersey I owned was a Hartford Francis sweater. Comparing Beniers to Francis is something akin to Blasphemy in my book.

But my bias aside, believe me when I say that Beniers level at this age is no where near to what Francis' was at that age. The chance Beniers goes on to have a hall of fame career is really, really small. He's a fine prospect, but that's it. There's only a few drafts that he may have been considered a top three pick if he were a prospect in any of the drafts of the past 20 years, and if there had been a full year of Junior league and scouting this season, i question whether or not he would actually be a top 5 prospect.

I won't hate the pick if that is who Francis decides to go with, but I will believe Power, Hughes, and Edvinsson may have been better choices.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
When I compare Seattle's most likely available players and then compare them to Vegas, it literally is night and day to me. Vegas was gifted 2 young 30 goal scorers in Smith and Marchessault, and also got young guys with pedigree that had scored at lower levels and were still young and had shown glimpses of greatness in Karlsson, Perron and Haula.

On D, they had young quality players available. Schmidt had 41 points in 43 games as a defenseman for Minnesota in the NCAA. Theodore and McNabb both put up more than a point per game in juniors. All three of those guys were at the age that they were primed for a breakout in the NHL. I see some quality vets available to Seattle, but no where near the potential.

In net, Vegas got a stanley cup winning former#1 overall pick in Fleury that was still in his prime and that went on to finish top 3 in Vezina voting. I don't think Seattle will be so lucky.

Then when i take into account that the vegas draft wasn't that long ago, the talent is more diluted, and teams learned a lot of lessons from that draft, it is hard for me to believe that Seattle will have nearly as much success picking up quality players. This year I expect teams to trade amongst themselves to limit losses, possibly getting some draft capital. Vegas will probably take one of the better draft eligible players for picks since they will still be exempt. San Jose has a forward slot open. Phoenix has a defensive slot available, etc.

With all that said, I believe Vegas was a fluke and I do not recommend using them as a good reason to bet any cash on Seattle making the finals soon.

Like I've said before, the biggest difference between Vegas and Seattle is the time other teams had to prepare.

Vegas was announced about a year before they came in, which hardly leaves time for GM's to adjust their rosters for an expansion draft.
Let alone one with completely different rules than before.

With Seattle teams had 2 1/2 years and you can see difference in NMC's(52 currently compared to 66 with Vegas) and roster structures this time around.
I think as the current season started there were over 900 players that were set to become either an UFA or RFA this summer.

I think we'll still be able to make side deals and add picks/prospects during the expansion draft but it might not be as much as Vegas got.

Also, even Vegas started trying to built more conventional but realized they're way closer to competing with their early success and used their trade capital to win now.

Sam Cosentino is no expert and no Scout either

He worked for the Portland Winterhawks during a time when Travis Green was there as well.
It's also just one take and people can make up their minds however they want.

He's been in Tampa for a long time. He probably has a family that he doesn't want to move. He refused to accept a trade to anywhere last offseason, not entirely sure why he would accept one now if he wasn't forced to.

Johnson supposedly worked with Tampa last offseason and even dropped a couple of teams from his NTC to make a trade happen.
And yet still no one took him given his contract, production and the current financial climate we're in.

That could work, but that is a lot of salary to take on, as none of those deals could be retained on going this route.

Question, what player is worth taking on that much combined salary for? If I am Tampa, I am probably not giving up Point, Sergachev or Cirelli just to rid myself of Johnson when I can bury him in the minors. One year of Palat or 2 years of Killorn aren't really worth it. I bet Tampa would do Gourde, but 4 years of over 10 million of cap hit for Gourde and Johnson is not really worth it. That leaves Cernak maybe? Possibly McDonagh? Although that's a ton of cap too.

I've got absolutely no interest in taking on McDonnagh's contract on top of Johnson's.
That's nearly $12 mil for the next few years on guys in their 30's who had declining producion(McDonnagh during the regular season).

Don't get me wrong, McDonnagh is still very good(during the playoffs) but he's 32 and still has five more years at $6.75 AAV left and those final years probably won't be fun.

Looking at Tampa I think their first in 2022 and a young player like Joseph, Barré-Boulet or Foote are more what we should be looking at.
That's actually the way Vegas approached it and got very good results.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Like I've said before, the biggest difference between Vegas and Seattle is the time other teams had to prepare.

Vegas was announced about a year before they came in, which hardly leaves time for GM's to adjust their rosters for an expansion draft.
Let alone one with completely different rules than before.

With Seattle teams had 2 1/2 years and you can see difference in NMC's(52 currently compared to 66 with Vegas) and roster structures this time around.
I think as the current season started there were over 900 players that were set to become either an UFA or RFA this summer.

I think we'll still be able to make side deals and add picks/prospects during the expansion draft but it might not be as much as Vegas got.
Strong points. But teams preparing aside, (which i totally agree with you that they are) I still hold firmly to the belief that everything broke pretty much perfect for Vegas, and for all the reasons you listed, plus the several i have stated multiple times in this thread, Seattle is not going to be nearly as competitive as the Knights were in year one. It just isn't realistic.

Johnson supposedly worked with Tampa last offseason and even dropped a couple of teams from his NTC to make a trade happen.
And yet still no one took him given his contract, production and the current financial climate we're in.
I did not hear this, I only read that he flat out refused. If that is true, then I suppose Tampa could try to retain in a deal, but still may be better of waiving him to free up the cap. At 5 million for 3 more seasons, i don't think Seattle should go anywhere near him, regardless of what is offered. He is not a top 6 center anymore. He has played some wing the past two seasons on their second line, but has not been all that effective.

I've got absolutely no interest in taking on McDonnagh's contract on top of Johnson's.
That's nearly $12 mil for the next few years on guys in their 30's who had declining producion(McDonnagh during the regular season).

Don't get me wrong, McDonnagh is still very good(during the playoffs) but he's 32 and still has five more years at $6.75 AAV left and those final years probably won't be fun.

Looking at Tampa I think their first in 2022 and a young player like Joseph, Barré-Boulet or Foote are more what we should be looking at.
That's actually the way Vegas approached it and got very good results.
Sorry, I was just postulating possibilities for the sake of expressing how trying to use Tampa to produce a winner sooner rather than later through the expansion draft was probably not the best idea with realistic offers the Lightning might agree to. For the record, I think staying away from over priced long term bad contracts should be the priority, and signing value players to reasonable deals while the flat cap is still squeezing all of the mid-tier UFA's is the best way to build this team.

Moving forward with cap space and not having any anchor contracts opens up possibilities in a year or two if the team looks like it might be ready to legitimately compete.

And to be honest, I think the Lightning will bridge their young RFAs and will be depending on them and their ELC callups to stay cap compliant, so prying any of them out of Tampa may prove very difficult.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Sorry, I was just postulating possibilities for the sake of expressing how trying to use Tampa to produce a winner sooner rather than later through the expansion draft was probably not the best idea with realistic offers the Lightning might agree to. For the record, I think staying away from over priced long term bad contracts should be the priority, and signing value players to reasonable deals while the flat cap is still squeezing all of the mid-tier UFA's is the best way to build this team.

Moving forward with cap space and not having any anchor contracts opens up possibilities in a year or two if the team looks like it might be ready to legitimately compete.

And to be honest, I think the Lightning will bridge their young RFAs and will be depending on them and their ELC callups to stay cap compliant, so prying any of them out of Tampa may prove very difficult.

There's absolutely nothing to be sorry about. ;)

I get the idea of adding a guy like McDonnagh(who's been really good in the playoffs again) but like you've said, those older guys with a big cap hit and a longterm contract should not be of interest.

BTW: If we can't reach a side deal with Tampa I'd just take Joseph/Foote, if we want to go younger, or Killorn/Palat if we want someone proven.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
There's absolutely nothing to be sorry about. ;)

I get the idea of adding a guy like McDonnagh(who's been really good in the playoffs again) but like you've said, those older guys with a big cap hit and a longterm contract should not be of interest.

BTW: If we can't reach a side deal with Tampa I'd just take Joseph/Foote, if we want to go younger, or Killorn/Palat if we want someone proven.
Foote was my thought on the pick from Tampa. He may not help as much in year one, but i see him as one of the few young defenders available that has stepped up his game at lower levels and i feel could be one of those guys that breaks out and becomes something special. It's a bit of a risky pick, but one i feel is worth it.

The other situation I will be watching closely will be with Carolina. Will they move one of their young defenders before the draft, or offer something to avoid losing them? Or will they just expose one knowing Seattle will definitely grab them?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Foote was my thought on the pick from Tampa. He may not help as much in year one, but i see him as one of the few young defenders available that has stepped up his game at lower levels and i feel could be one of those guys that breaks out and becomes something special. It's a bit of a risky pick, but one i feel is worth it.

The other situation I will be watching closely will be with Carolina. Will they move one of their young defenders before the draft, or offer something to avoid losing them? Or will they just expose one knowing Seattle will definitely grab them?
Taking Foote (or Cernak if they go 7-3-1) would be the best way to screw Tampa, they are $5M over the cap without re-signing any players and 19 players. Foote and Cernak are cheap, and won't help their cap situation.

Tampa Bay Lightning - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Burying TJ doesn't help the situation because only $1.125M can be buried in the AHL. They'd still have a $3.875M cap hit. TB has to make a deal with Seattle to get rid of salary, they don't have much choice since most of their players have NTC/NMC. Making a deal with other teams like Detroit will cost far more in terms of additional assets.

Carolina will probably just let Seattle pick a D much like the Caps did with Schmidt. They draft well, I don't think they give up picks.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Taking Foote (or Cernak if they go 7-3-1) would be the best way to screw Tampa, they are $5M over the cap without re-signing any players and 19 players. Foote and Cernak are cheap, and won't help their cap situation.

Burying TJ doesn't help the situation because only $1.125M can be buried in the AHL. They'd still have a $3.875M cap hit. TB has to make a deal with Seattle to get rid of salary, they don't have much choice since most of their players have NTC/NMC. Making a deal with other teams like Detroit will cost far more in terms of additional assets.
I would think Cernak would be protected, and if they weren't going to protect him, I'd expect them to trade him for futures before the draft and then protect Foote. Foote has potential, but Cernak has value that I feel Tampa wouldn't let go without getting something in return.

On Johnson- sorry, the bury him comment was a follow up to the idea of taking the route of demoting him to get him to work with the team on a trade, post #125
If worst comes to worst, I think Tampa might waive him and if no one bites, they may keep him in the minors to force his hand to waive his NTC.
I worded that very poorly and didn't repeat the premise, and given it was out of context with the discussion bouncing around, it was poor form. The idea was that a trade with some retention might be the only way to move that contract.

Honestly, I think it would take a whole lot more than Tampa will be willing to concede for Francis to take on that contract. 3 years at 5 million is a lot of wasted space when there will be some pretty good mid-tier UFA's in the next couple of seasons that could be had for less. Taking on Johnson's contract to get a player or two that will help immediately looks less enticing when you factor in that most of Tampa's useful players come with rather short contracts and high cap-hits.

Maybe the 22 1st? Tampa has traded two 1sts in a row, and next year's draft is strong. I'd think moving it to dump Johnson would be a last resort plan, and they'd exhaust all other options first. And even then, I don't think that pick alone is near enough to entice Francis to take on that contract.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I would think Cernak would be protected, and if they weren't going to protect him, I'd expect them to trade him for futures before the draft and then protect Foote. Foote has potential, but Cernak has value that I feel Tampa wouldn't let go without getting something in return.
Therein lies their dilemma. They have a lot of good players, some of them with cheap salaries. They'd have to protect 8 skaters to protect 4D, so that would expose Killorn and Palat, which would alleviate some of their salary issues unless Seattle takes Foote instead. That's why I said taking Foote would screw them, $5M over the cap and no relief.

I would be shocked if TB did nothing. It's hard to speculate what the deal will be but it has to include TJ and a lot of sweetener. I doubt a late first round pick will do it, because I'd rather take Foote who was a first rounder. That alone means the payback has to be at least 2 first round picks or equivalent prospect/player. That'll come out to $7.5M/pick, which seems about right.

For reference, the Wings got a 2nd rounder for eating $3.2M of actual salary and $5.7M of cap space for one year in the Marc Staal deal.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Therein lies their dilemma. They have a lot of good players, some of them with cheap salaries. They'd have to protect 8 skaters to protect 4D, so that would expose Killorn and Palat, which would alleviate some of their salary issues unless Seattle takes Foote instead. That's why I said taking Foote would screw them, $5M over the cap and no relief.

I would be shocked if TB did nothing. It's hard to speculate what the deal will be but it has to include TJ and a lot of sweetener. I doubt a late first round pick will do it, because I'd rather take Foote who was a first rounder. That alone means the payback has to be at least 2 first round picks or equivalent prospect/player. That'll come out to $7.5M/pick, which seems about right.

For reference, the Wings got a 2nd rounder for eating $3.2M of actual salary and $5.7M of cap space for one year in the Marc Staal deal.
While I am not certain it would take both Tampa's 1sts in 22 and 23 to get Francis to take on the Johnson contract at full price, I am fairly certain that Tampa would try to find some other route to get under the cap before agreeing to a deal like that.

If i am BriseBois, i would seriously think about going 4-4-1 and protecting Foote and Cernak and exposing McDonagh, Killorn, Palat, and Gourde . That route, while they would lose a decent player, their core is intact, they keep their picks, and no matter who Seattle takes, they'd clear a lot of cap.

Getting rid of Johnson will help for next year, but it still isnt going to be enough, and I don't see a lot of other moves they can make that won't cost them a ton going forward. Losing Foote only makes their cap situation in 2 years when Sergachev and Cernak hit RFA look that much worse.

Reactions: NatoGhost

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
While I am not certain it would take both Tampa's 1sts in 22 and 23 to get Francis to take on the Johnson contract at full price, I am fairly certain that Tampa would try to find some other route to get under the cap before agreeing to a deal like that.

If i am BriseBois, i would seriously think about going 4-4-1 and protecting Foote and Cernak and exposing McDonagh, Killorn, Palat, and Gourde . That route, while they would lose a decent player, their core is intact, they keep their picks, and no matter who Seattle takes, they'd clear a lot of cap.

Getting rid of Johnson will help for next year, but it still isnt going to be enough, and I don't see a lot of other moves they can make that won't cost them a ton going forward. Losing Foote only makes their cap situation in 2 years when Sergachev and Cernak hit RFA look that much worse.
At which point Seattle takes Killorn, and TB still needs to make another move just to get under the cap with their existing contracts while not having a full roster. So then they'd have to deal with a dumpster fire team to get rid of salary, and it'll cost them that much more. Obviously I'm a fan of a dumpster fire team, Stevie has already set the price at $3M of dead salary for a 2nd round pick. TJ's contract will cost 5 second round picks or equivalent.

The difference between Seattle and a dumpster fire team is that TJ is a useful player for Seattle (though way overpaid), whereas he's dead weight for dumpster fire teams with up and coming young centers. Seattle also has the advantage of being able to spend to the max cap because the arena is fully sold out. The easiest path to salary cap compliance for TB is through Seattle, either they make a deal or pay someone else more.

If they go the 8-1 route, Seattle gets scoring help even without a deal. Still works out for the team.

Reactions: andys

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
At which point Seattle takes Killorn, and TB still needs to make another move just to get under the cap with their existing contracts while not having a full roster. So then they'd have to deal with a dumpster fire team to get rid of salary, and it'll cost them that much more. Obviously I'm a fan of a dumpster fire team, Stevie has already set the price at $3M of dead salary for a 2nd round pick. TJ's contract will cost 5 second round picks or equivalent.

The difference between Seattle and a dumpster fire team is that TJ is a useful player for Seattle (though way overpaid), whereas he's dead weight for dumpster fire teams with up and coming young centers. Seattle also has the advantage of being able to spend to the max cap because the arena is fully sold out. The easiest path to salary cap compliance for TB is through Seattle, either they make a deal or pay someone else more.

If they go the 8-1 route, Seattle gets scoring help even without a deal. Still works out for the team.
Killorn is having a real nice postseason this year, but at 32, I think Tampa would be ok if he was the cost to get through the expansion without losing Foote, Cernak or any of their picks.

Johnson's NTC will be the most flexible on the team this offseason, so with some retention and a small sweetener, he may be moveable. At 5 million per, I think he's stuck in Tampa, but at say 3.5, a versatile center that can play up and down the lineup and any position might be moveable without costing too much.

And it honestly wouldn't surprise me if they try to move on from McDonagh this offseason. It probably isn't long before his contract starts to really cost more than he brings. A team like Buffalo that is poised to lose Ristolainen, McCabe, Reinhart, and possibly Eichel, will have cap space, and is in desperate need of veteran leadership on the blueline. They might actually contemplate taking on that contract without any added incentives, depending on how the next couple of months go down.

Reactions: NatoGhost

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013
I'm a Lightning fan and honestly didn't come here to talk Tampa, but since you all brought them up...

Just to address a couple of points brought up above. No way they expose Cernak. He has way too much value to the team. I'd rather expose Sergachev, which they won't do. Either way if they were to let one of those 2 go it would be via trade since both have high value.

I would offer 1st rounder to take TJ but if Seattle wants 2 firsts & 2 prospects I'd tell them to go pound sand. TJ is still a good player and while not worth his contract I'd rather trade him retaining 1.5 to 2m somewhere else than give up the equivalent of 4 first round picks.

If I'm JBB I go one of two routes.

1 G - Vasy
4 D Hedman, McD, Serg, Cernak
4 F Kuch, Point, stammer, Cirelli

You want Gourde, TJ, Palat or Killorn? Take them. Good players but helps with our cap crunch. Seattle will do what's in their best interest.

A younger cheaper prospect? Foote, Joseph, Colton? I'd rather you took a 5M forward but we'll survive. Foote while being a former first round pick isn't a huge loss for Tampa. Tampa will have to look to trade probably 2 of TJ, Palat, Killorn, Gourde separately and while TJ would require retention or sweeter or both, if the demands for him are too ridiculous we keep him and play him and trade 2 of the other 3. The other 3 I think all have value so I don't think that would be too huge of an issue.

With the next route Tampa elects to expose McD. He's a stud and if exposed Seattle should take him. I don't think Tampa will do this because it hurts them short term for sure. But it does help with cap and if Seattle seems to think like a few of you guys and is unwilling to take long term deals for aging players (even though that's still a good deal for a very good player imo) and doesn't take him? That's OK too.

Option 2:

1 G - Vasy
3 D Hedman, Serg, Cernak
4 F Kuch, Point, stammer, Cirelli + Colton, Joseph...Maybe Gourde & whichever of Palat/Killorn they'd rather protect. Id' lean towards protect Killorn expose Palat. The idea here is protecting the younger cheap players.

Tampa doesn't really want you taking Colton or Joseph. Colton more so than Joseph at the moment we want to keep. But neither are really who Seattle should target imo. I mean they're promising young players but have they shown enough? Depends what they get elsewhere I guess. If you take them not the end of the world either.

Also the other 3rd option would be protect Foote instead of McD that would be the only difference in the first one I listed.

Anyways that's the opinion of one Tampa fan.

Looking forward to following this process for Seattle though as I'm planning to take them on as my #2 team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad