Who should the Kraken take with the #2 overall pick?

Flash20

DC Homer
Oct 16, 2009
Buffalo
He's not the type of player that would fetch a first like Eichel would. Why do people want us to hurt ourselves long term by reducing our potential prospect pool.

The prospects Vegas drafted aren't helping very much just saying .

You're getting a complete player that is developed and young to a player that might become him

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

You're getting a complete player that is developed and young to a player that might become him
It's only been 4 years since their first draft, 4 of their 2017 picks are NHL players, 2 of those were traded, and 1 is playing in the Cup finals right now.

Generally speaking, only the top 2 or 3 picks make the NHL right away and most teams usually only hit on one or 2 draft picks per draft. Their only mistake was trading Suzuki instead of Glass. (Or I suppose they could have taken Robert Thomas that draft, that kid has a knack for getting the puck. Always seems to be in the right spot.)

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

Flash20

DC Homer
Oct 16, 2009
Buffalo
It's only been 4 years since their first draft, 4 of their 2017 picks are NHL players, 2 of those were traded, and 1 is playing in the Cup finals right now.

Generally speaking, only the top 2 or 3 picks make the NHL right away and most teams usually only hit on one or 2 draft picks per draft. Their only mistake was trading Suzuki instead of Glass. (Or I suppose they could have taken Robert Thomas that draft, that kid has a knack for getting the puck. Always seems to be in the right spot.)

I dont see anyone in this draft ready for next year imo .

I just think it's smarter to trade for a fully developed player right now then wait 5 years

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
He's a RFA you guys would have full control of the numbers .

I didn't say he was mark stone I'm saying the face of the franchise

Sam reinhart is a very good 2 way player btw and has been part of some horrible teams with buffalo and coaching staff.

Wouldn't Surprise me when he becomes a 80 point player he's to good
Have you looked at the RFA contracts that good/elite players have been getting for the last few years? There is not that much difference between RFA and UFA contracts if a player is as good as what you are touting Reinhart to be. Sure, Seattle could choose to play hardball but that would hardly be the ideal way to kick-off a new franchise.

As far as value goes, I think Reinhart could get a pick in the 8-15 range. He is a good player but I would not even think of moving the 2nd overall pick for him.

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

Flash20

DC Homer
Oct 16, 2009
Buffalo
Have you looked at the RFA contracts that good/elite players have been getting for the last few years? There is not that much difference between RFA and UFA contracts if a player is as good as what you are touting Reinhart to be. Sure, Seattle could choose to play hardball but that would hardly be the ideal way to kick-off a new franchise.

As far as value goes, I think Reinhart could get a pick in the 8-15 range. He is a good player but I would not even think of moving the 2nd overall pick for him.

He probably take a discount with you guys 5.8-6m for 7 years to be very close to home

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
He probably take a discount with you guys 5.8-6m for 7 years to be very close to home

That is a very fair cost for Reinhart but I would be surprised if he settles for under 7M AAV. You (or I) have no way of know whether he settles for 6M x 7.

Also, we don't really have assets for Reinhart. You are not getting our 2nd overall for Reinhart and we don't have anything else of value that could make the deal palatable for the Sabres. Really bad trading partners.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

I just think it's smarter to trade for a fully developed player right now then wait 5 years
True, nobody in this draft looks NHL ready at all. I think both Power and Beniers have already decided to go back to U of M for another season.

The whole thing about developing prospects is that ELC contracts are cheap. You need a few good cheap contracts down the line or the team winds up with cap space issues. Assuming an ELC slide, 4 seasons from now Beniers will have a cap hit around $1M, whereas a "developed player" could have a cap hit of $7M or more.

Power & Beniers are 1 & 2 for me now. Not into trading the pick.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
True, nobody in this draft looks NHL ready at all. I think both Power and Beniers have already decided to go back to U of M for another season.

The whole thing about developing prospects is that ELC contracts are cheap. You need a few good cheap contracts down the line or the team winds up with cap space issues. Assuming an ELC slide, 4 seasons from now Beniers will have a cap hit around $1M, whereas a "developed player" could have a cap hit of $7M or more.

Power & Beniers are 1 & 2 for me now. Not into trading the pick.

Same. I think this team is going to be more than a Reinhart away this season from competing. We are currently lacking in trade assets because we are a brand new team. THe 2nd overall is off the table for Reinhart. However, there will be some players/prospects available after the expansion draft. And IF somehow Francis is able to strong-arm GM's into additional first round picks in 2021/22, maybe he can choose to trade them (or some combination of picks/prospects/expansion draft players) for the likes of Reinhart.

Though like I said earlier. We are just not going to be good trading partners if you are expecting a high return like top-5 1st round picks or really good prospects. Pretty sure Buffalo can get a better return from other teams.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

So lets have no prospect pool cause they won't be ready right away... Who says we have to wait 5 years..

You do realize not every draft is perfect that have NHL ready players right out the gate. Outside of maybe 1 or 2 picks and that isn't a given every year are really NHL ready.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

Sam Reinhart ist a nice complementary player who's currently an RFA and has one year left before his UFA status.

You don't trade a #2 overall pick for that, especially as an expansion team trying to built your talent pool, even if the draft is supposedly a weak one.

BTW: If you want to trade him you should look a bit more up north from Seattle where the Vancouver Canucks have the #9 overall pick and would like to add established top six forwards.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

kraken

Jun 30, 2021
Beniers_Michiganhockey_0357.jpeg

This is who I want and expect to see

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
I think picking 2nd overall this year their is no real clear 2nd prospect to pick from Beniers/Clarke/ Eklund/ Edvinsson? Could even throw Hughes/Guenther in mix but that's kind of stretching it. Still curious to see how expansion draft goes first. What picks will they get and will they get an offer they can't pass up?

Piffle

Oct 31, 2007
As far as I can tell, the two most sensible choices are Beniers and Eklund (assuming Powers goes first). Beniers if you want a 2-way C (who's top end is probably a bit below Toews) and Eklund if you want the top end scorer that is still good defensively (who's top end is probably a bit below Zetterberg). Based on his history, I assume Francis would go with Beniers, but I'd personally rather pick Eklund.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
As far as I can tell, the two most sensible choices are Beniers and Eklund (assuming Powers goes first). Beniers if you want a 2-way C (who's top end is probably a bit below Toews) and Eklund if you want the top end scorer that is still good defensively (who's top end is probably a bit below Zetterberg). Based on his history, I assume Francis would go with Beniers, but I'd personally rather pick Eklund.
Eklund was my choice before lottery ball results.

Reactions: UnfinishedBusiness

Silkytentacles

Mar 9, 2021
Oregon
Very happy to be in this spot where we can land a top tier player. Any of Kent Johnson, Matt Beniers, Owen Power, Luke Hughes, William Eklund or Brand Clarke and I’ll be Happy. I have a feeling Francis wants a D man hopefully we can snag two picks in the top 15 like vegas did.

Last edited:

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
View attachment 451507

What are everyone's thoughts on Brandt Clarke?
Lowest ceiling of the top four D in the draft, but probably higher floor (less boom or bust) than Hughes or Edvinsson. He likely tops out as a top four guy that can run a powerplay and be a shooting option in the right situation.

He's shifty on his skates in traffic, but over all he lacks quickness and is not a strong overall skater. His lack of north-south skating is going to hold him back from ever being a true, two-way top pairing guy in my opinion, but his hockey IQ might be enough to make him useful enough to carve out a solid NHL career. (This is my opinion, I am sure others have different takes.)

There was some player discussion on him on pages 2-4 or so of this thread i believe.

Reactions: derriko and kraken

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
View attachment 451507

What are everyone's thoughts on Brandt Clarke?
Read a few scouting reports and am actually someone who would not be too upset if we took him as our pick (unless Power is available). Skating is an issue but he has shown that he can already produce playing with men. Also, skating can actually be fixed. I feel he has a higher chance of success in the NHL than Hughes or Edvinsson.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Read a few scouting reports and am actually someone who would not be too upset if we took him as our pick (unless Power is available). Skating is an issue but he has shown that he can already produce playing with men. Also, skating can actually be fixed. I feel he has a higher chance of success in the NHL than Hughes or Edvinsson.
I rather take gamble on Clarke if they go defense way. My pick still is Eklund think he has the perseverance Kraken are looking for.

Reactions: kraken

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Are you guys leaning overall toward Beniers?

Silkytentacles

Mar 9, 2021
Oregon
Luke Hughes should get a realistic look at number 2. I have a feeling Ronny is going to draft a D man and I think Hughes has Super high upside. He’s basically a 2022 prospect with his late birthday. Lots more room for growth in his game. His skating, puck skills and vision are unmatched in the draft. I seen him making the USA roster for the world jr U20 tourney and just dominating. I’d really like Beniers, Eklund or Johnson if we go with a forward. Clarke wouldn’t be the worst pick at 2 either. Kind of skeptical about Edvinsson and his decision making. Anyway it’s hard to miss at 2 we will be getting a great prospect to start with

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Skating is an issue but he has shown that he can already produce playing with men. Also, skating can actually be fixed. I feel he has a higher chance of success in the NHL than Hughes or Edvinsson.

This is something that I strongly feel to be a huge misconception that is often reiterated on these boards.

Through my experiences in life, i have come to believe the two things that are extremely hard to coach in hockey with noticeable improvements are skating and awareness (hockey IQ).

Power skating drills work to increase the energy in each stride to some extent, and strength and conditioning coaches work with certain players to try to improve their skating, but the improvements are not massive. Conditioning allows for players to maintain their top speeds for longer shifts, but power skating drills and coaching don't usually re-write technique in established players.

While it may not seem so, a large portion of skating speed relies heavily on fast-twitch muscles. You can't really coach that.

A players skating technique is the other portion, and it is developed over years of skating. Players balance points and equilibrium are ingrained in their muscle memory. To try to ask a player to completely change their skating form would almost be akin to asking an established quarterback or pitcher to throw and pitch with their off hand. Stickhandling, passing, and even defensive stickwork all put the body in specific balance positions that players learn over years of playing and the muscle memory is part of their game. (remember, most of these prospects have been skating for 14-15+ years.)

We hear about coaching staffs working with professional skating coaches and assume it is easy to fix, but if you think about it, how many times have bad skaters in the league actually become good skaters after the clubs add the routine during the offseason. Guys improve, and I have witnessed some decent improvements first hand in much younger players, but I can say without hesitation that I have never seen a drafted prospect with poor skating become a good skater with the help of NHL strength and conditioning coaches.

This is just my opinion and experience, so take it with a grain of salt

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Luke Hughes should get a realistic look at number 2. I have a feeling Ronny is going to draft a D man and I think Hughes has Super high upside. He’s basically a 2022 prospect with his late birthday. Lots more room for growth in his game. His skating, puck skills and vision are unmatched in the draft. I seen him making the USA roster for the world jr U20 tourney and just dominating. I’d really like Beniers, Eklund or Johnson if we go with a forward. Clarke wouldn’t be the worst pick at 2 either. Kind of skeptical about Edvinsson and his decision making. Anyway it’s hard to miss at 2 we will be getting a great prospect to start with
Nice post. Decent thoughts on Hughes and a refreshing take outside of the general consensus.

As everyone knows in this thread, I am not a big fan of Clarke at 2OA, not because of risk, but because I feel his potential isn't high enough for 2OA.

On the flip side, it is the risk factor of Edvinsson at 2OA that has me worried, but I would honestly be excited if he was the pick. I watch him playing against much older players, and his aggressiveness and positioning without the puck are pretty impressive for how young he is, and with the puck he just oozes raw skill.

Johnson is raw too, so while a great prospect, I don't think he is worthy of 2AO.

Eklund's highlight videos are pretty impressive, but I honestly haven't watched any of his game footage to actually form a legitimate opinion. While I think I'd be excited if they drafted him, I'd be lying if i also said i wasn't the slightest bit worried about how his game will translated to NA.

Reactions: Silkytentacles

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Can't imagine Buffalo doing this. It would take way more than that to pry Power away from them.
not really...if they are keeping Eichel they need a 2nd line center more than another top pair left d. if they are trading Eichel then they need a center more than another top pair left d.
I think you could do it for cap space and cash...take Okposo in expansion draft in exchange for flipping 1OA and 2nd OA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad