Who should the Kraken take with the #2 overall pick?

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Question, if the Rangers called and offered Buchnevich, Strome, Jones and Howden for the 2nd overall do you do it? Don't think anyone wants DeAngelo or would throw him in at 50%. Strome and Buchnevich would be 2 of your 3 1st line players. If not what would it take?
As other posters have already said, it would take quality over quantity. Probably would have to be something around Kakko or Laf.

While your offer may have some value in a vacuum, realistically, Buchnevich is going to be looking for a big payday and his new contract may be somewhat of a gamble. Strome will be UFA and is also going to demand a big raise, and unlikely worth his new deal. Howden has a lot of potential, but at 23 he is starting to look more like a guy that needs a change of scenery/reclamation project than a quality NHLer. Jones is a nice piece and his offensive development has tracked well, but he is undersized for the style of game he plays defensively, and while he may very well be a great NHL player in a few years, there is some concern and uncertainty there too.

If Seattle were to accept more of a Quantity vs Quality offer, then that Quantity would have to be far greater than the quality of 2AO, and from the Rangers perspective, it would probably hurt. I would think the package would start with Lundkvist or Schneider, include a first, and another piece you would not really want to part with. I think the Rangers would be much better off selling off all the assets you offered individually to get the most value.

I am assuming the logic of why Drury would be making this trade would be to target Beniers? (given the Rangers wealth of prospects on D, and this draft being loaded with D prospects at the top end) If i were him, I would make certain that if Buffalo moves Eichel and Reinhart, that they wouldnt be taking Beniers first overall before I made any moves.

Reactions: kihei

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
As other posters have already said, it would take quality over quantity. Probably would have to be something around Kakko or Laf.
We have more expansion draft picks than roster space. I agree we do not need quantity.

I think the way to handle it is to pick extra Dmen and trade them to a dumpster fire team like Detroit for picks or prospects.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Wish I were closer to the city and could hang out there sometimes, sounds fun.
Same. Only thing that kept me from looking at season tickets. That commute just won't work for me on a regular basis.

I am seriously thinking of going to some pre-season games though if they do end up playing them in Everett. Much easier for me.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
sadly people still think we should screw ourselves long term just so we get Eichel.
What "people"? No one has even give a serious proposal, and no one has suggested Seattle "screw themselves long-term" to acquire him.

Honestly, Seattle doesn't really even have the assets to acquire Eichel.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
What "people"? No one has even give a serious proposal, and no one has suggested Seattle "screw themselves long-term" to acquire him.

Honestly, Seattle doesn't really even have the assets to acquire Eichel.

That's what i been trying to tell folks who thinks Eichel is gonna end up here....

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I believe posters where using Eichel as an exaggeration to drive home a point on what it might take for Seattle to move the pick. I don't think anyone was actually seriously suggesting it.

If we do its not going to be for Eichel. That neck issue makes it too big of a gamble worth throw 2-4 draft picks to buffalo since we have no prospects to give up only players we take from the expansion draft.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
If we do its not going to be for Eichel. That neck issue makes it too big of a gamble worth throw 2-4 draft picks to buffalo since we have no prospects to give up only players we take from the expansion draft.
No need to worry about that. Eichel is too good for Buffalo to trade for just picks, so there is no chance it would happen.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
That makes absolutely no sense.

We're starting from scratch without any prospects(besides Luke Henman, who wasn't signed to an ELC after being taken in the 4th round four years ago) and need to built that prospect pool for our future.

But most importantly, the majority of players taken during the expansion draft won't be around within the next two to three seasons and therefore you don't take them into consideration.
I think Vegas has about five guys left from their expansion draft while playing their fourth NHL season.

11 Vegas players are from the ED:

Fleury
Tuch, Karlsson, Carrier, Reilly, Marchessault, Reaves, Nosek
McNabb, Whitecloud, Theodore

That’s fairly substantial.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
11 Vegas players are from the ED:

Fleury
Tuch, Karlsson, Carrier, Reilly, Marchessault, Reaves, Nosek
McNabb, Whitecloud, Theodore

That’s fairly substantial.

5 players were drafted the rest were trades. Theodore was a trade.

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
5 players were drafted the rest were trades. Theodore was a trade.

But they were trades made at the ED. As in 11 players that resulted from the ED. Wasn’t the argument that players from the inaugural roster/ED won’t be here within 2-3 years?

Reactions: Piffle

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
But they were trades made at the ED. As in 11 players that resulted from the ED. Wasn’t the argument that players from the inaugural roster/ED won’t be here within 2-3 years?

i don't count trades as part of the 30 players selected. There are only 5 players left from the draft itself. The rest were either pre-draft trades or post draft trades.

The argument was most players selected during draft day itself wouldn't be there in 2-3 years which is true.

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
i don't count trades as part of the 30 players selected. There are only 5 players left from the draft itself. The rest were either pre-draft trades or post draft trades.

The argument was most players selected during draft day itself wouldn't be there in 2-3 years which is true.

I don’t follow the logic. If a team trades you a player to not take another player and that player is a key piece of your team 5 years later, that player is a result of the ED. At the start of the day they had zero players. At the end of the day, they had a group of players from which 11 are still on the roster. What difference does it make if they directly selected Theodore or were given Theodore to not take Vatanen/Manson?

Reactions: Piffle

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I don’t follow the logic. If a team trades you a player to not take another player and that player is a key piece of your team 5 years later, that player is a result of the ED. At the start of the day they had zero players. At the end of the day, they had a group of players from which 11 are still on the roster. What difference does it make if they directly selected Theodore or were given Theodore to not take Vatanen/Manson?

Inaugural year roster would be better phrase to use. Vegas was given Shea to take a player that was LTIR'd retired who later right away announced retirement.

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

Flash20

DC Homer
Oct 16, 2009
Buffalo
but He's not really worth a first round pick though. I can see him being here we'll give you him to take such and such player.

Why don't you think hes worth a 1st? He's a young( 25g a year guy)( great 2 way forward) plays both (top winger and first-line center )thats pretty incredible
a wizard on the power play and great leadership

He would be your mark stone
He would likely be our captain with jack gone but now they're both going

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Why don't you think hes worth a 1st? He's a young( 25g a year guy)( great 2 way forward) plays both (top winger and first-line center )thats pretty incredible

Mark Stone's one of the elite two way forwards in this game and I haven't really seen that in Reinhart.

Though, I think @gstommylee meant he's not our first round pick(2 overall) because that would be way too much for him.
Especially given his contract status.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

He's not the type of player that would fetch a first like Eichel would. Why do people want us to hurt ourselves long term by reducing our potential prospect pool.

Flash20

DC Homer
Oct 16, 2009
Buffalo
Mark Stone's one of the elite two way forwards in this game and I haven't really seen that in Reinhart.

Though, I think @gstommylee meant he's not our first round pick(2 overall) because that would be way too much for him.
Especially given his contract status.

He's a RFA you guys would have full control of the numbers .

I didn't say he was mark stone I'm saying the face of the franchise

Sam reinhart is a very good 2 way player btw and has been part of some horrible teams with buffalo and coaching staff.

Wouldn't Surprise me when he becomes a 80 point player he's to good

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad