Who should the Kraken take with the #2 overall pick?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Centers are going to be hard to come by in the expansion draft. So it would make sense to draft a Center.
This is something that has been bought up several times but that would be drafting for need. It is a terrible idea to do so.

I am all for drafting Beniers but its not because he is a C. Its mainly because I feel he is the 2nd best player behind Power. But if Francis feels that Clarke has a higher upside than Beniers (and a lower or similar floor), he may just feel comfortable going that way. Same is true if he feels Eklund can be a game changing winger like Patrick Kane or Panarin.

Keep in mind that whoever we draft this season is unlikely to play on the team.

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Centers are going to be hard to come by in the expansion draft. So it would make sense to draft a Center.
When you are talking about top ten picks, I think it is always wise to ignore position and just draft who you feel is the best player available.

Only if you can't decide who is BPA, then should you look at position.

Seattle should have a lot of draft capital and extra players that they can move to bring in centers, and there may be a few options via the UFA market.

The centers in this draft are all probably a few years away from making any sort of impact in this league, and so much can change personnel wise on both a roster and farm in just a couple of seasons that it really doesn't make sense to draft for position when starting every position from scratch.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
When you are talking about top ten picks, I think it is always wise to ignore position and just draft who you feel is the best player available.

Only if you can't decide who is BPA, then should you look at position.

Seattle should have a lot of draft capital and extra players that they can move to bring in centers, and there may be a few options via the UFA market.

The centers in this draft are all probably a few years away from making any sort of impact in this league, and so much can change personnel wise on both a roster and farm in just a couple of seasons that it really doesn't make sense to draft for position when starting every position from scratch.

And we aren't going to get any good Center in the expansion draft. The expansion draft is going to be Blue line heavy. Only way i see seattle taking Dman if buffalo passes on power and take the Center.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
And we aren't going to get any good Center in the expansion draft. The expansion draft is going to be Blue line heavy. Only way i see seattle taking Dman if buffalo passes on power and take the Center.
Looking at the list of available expansion players, I anticipate more than 75% of them that are taken will not be in Seattle in 3 years, so I am not too worried about filling out specific team balance in year one.

I am more worried about developing a solid farm system quickly so the team can draw from prospects that are a bit further in development on Entry Level Contracts shortly down the road, and not have to reply on rushing draft picks and likely crippling their development in the process.

I think the odds that the Kraken will be competing for the cup next year are really not very good, so I am embracing the patient approach and hoping a few lean years lead to a strong team in 5 or 6 seasons that will be a perennial cup contender. With another top 5 pick next years stacked draft, Seattle should have a chance to draft a much higher caliber center prospect than Berniers.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Looking at the list of available expansion players, I anticipate more than 75% of them that are taken will not be in Seattle in 3 years, so I am not too worried about filling out specific team balance in year one.

I am more worried about developing a solid farm system quickly so the team can draw from prospects that are a bit further in development on Entry Level Contracts shortly down the road, and not have to reply on rushing draft picks and likely crippling their development in the process.

I think the odds that the Kraken will be competing for the cup next year are really not very good, so I am embracing the patient approach and hoping a few lean years lead to a strong team in 5 or 6 seasons that will be a perennial cup contender. With another top 5 pick next years stacked draft, Seattle should have a chance to draft a much higher caliber center prospect than Berniers.

Seattle has a decent chance at making the playoffs cause of how weak the pacific is. Also can't assume we'll be one of those 1-11 slot teams after our first year.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Have you watched the bottom 5 teams at all? The Red Wings had the least amount of talent in the league (with injuries and COVID included) and yet somehow managed to finish above 4 of them.

I expect Seattle to finish 10 - 15 from the bottom, so it'll take lottery luck to get Wright. Defense by committee (no true top pair), grab a decent goalie, and trade with Tampa for forwards since they're up against the salary cap. The big missing part is centers though. I assume Seattle will acquire Tyler Johnson through waivers, but the rest is a question mark.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Have you watched the bottom 5 teams at all? The Red Wings had the least amount of talent in the league (with injuries and COVID included) and yet somehow managed to finish above 4 of them.

I expect Seattle to finish 10 - 15 from the bottom, so it'll take lottery luck to get Wright. Defense by committee (no true top pair), grab a decent goalie, and trade with Tampa for forwards since they're up against the salary cap. The big missing part is centers though. I assume Seattle will acquire Tyler Johnson through waivers, but the rest is a question mark.
Detroit has coaching stability, and their players have the benefit of some chemistry, know the system, and know their jobs. They had a lot of vets that while granted, mostly are pretty short on top end talent, they can be effective if used correctly. They also were the beneficiaries of above average goaltending that the teams below them did not have.

Comparing records when there is no inter-divisional play is pretty misleading. Had Detroit played in the North, I am positive their record would have been even better, and had they swapped places with the devils, I believe it would have been actually worse.

I expect Vancouver and LA to be better this year in the west, and i anticipate the Sens, Devils, and Redwings will show better as well. Hell, if Buffalo hangs on to Eichel and Reinhart and manages to get some goaltending, I fully expect them to be competitive (They were above .500 last season in that brutal eastern division in games Ulmark played in goal, unfortunately, the rest of their goalies were pretty awful).

And no, I do not expect Seattle to have the 1st overall pick next year, so Wright is not a realistic hope, but most of the forwards in the top 10 will more than likely come into the draft ranked as higher potential prospects than Berniers currently is, and 4 of them are likely to be natural centers.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Detroit has coaching stability, and their players have the benefit of some chemistry, know the system, and know their jobs. They had a lot of vets that while granted, mostly are pretty short on top end talent, they can be effective if used correctly. They also were the beneficiaries of above average goaltending that the teams below them did not have.

Comparing records when there is no inter-divisional play is pretty misleading. Had Detroit played in the North, I am positive their record would have been even better, and had they swapped places with the devils, I believe it would have been actually worse.

I expect Vancouver and LA to be better this year in the west, and i anticipate the Sens, Devils, and Redwings will show better as well. Hell, if Buffalo hangs on to Eichel and Reinhart and manages to get some goaltending, I fully expect them to be competitive (They were above .500 last season in that brutal eastern division in games Ulmark played in goal, unfortunately, the rest of their goalies were pretty awful).

And no, I do not expect Seattle to have the 1st overall pick next year, so Wright is not a realistic hope, but most of the forwards in the top 10 will more than likely come into the draft ranked as higher potential prospects than Berniers currently is, and 4 of them are likely to be natural centers.
It's a horrible system, a defensive shell. They actually achieved .500 pt percentage since late Feb which is amazing, but they achieved that with no top pair D, a top center that put up 9 goals and 23 assists in 44 games, and AHL level third pair D. So what's to say that Seattle can't do the same or better? They'll get a better overall D lineup in the expansion and a better overall lineup with the possible exception of centers. .500 point percentage would mean a 20th place finish.

BTW, if you tell any Wings fan that Blash is a great coach, you'd get laughed off the board. Pretty much every fan wanted Blash replaced, but I predicted he'd be extended when they started playing better in March. I'm just glad Bylsma is gone, it was the league's worst PP. And speaking of really bad PP, they just promoted the PP coach to head coach in CBJ, so don't expect them to do any better next season.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
While I can see the comparison between Clarke's and Makar's shot and release, i have to take serious issue with the video narrator's take on skating. At 18, Makar was a strong north-south skater. Clarke is not. While Clarke has shifty feet dancing the blueline, his skating form, strength and speed are all below average, which is something I feel is really going to hold him back.

Looking at comparisons, I see a lot more Matt Carle in Clarke than Cale Makar. And while his IQ and shiftiness may help make him a solid NHL player some day, His lack of quickness and top end skating are red flags to me when looking for a prospect to take with a top 2 pick.
I don't think a lot of posters here watch videos, I've already pointed out Clarke's knock kneed skating. He can't use his outside edge at all because of that stance. We definitely agree on Clarke (not a top 2 pick), the team that picks him better have a damn good skating coach. He may be the kid that falls in this draft, there's always at least one.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
It's a horrible system, a defensive shell. They actually achieved .500 pt percentage since late Feb which is amazing, but they achieved that with no top pair D, a top center that put up 9 goals and 23 assists in 44 games, and AHL level third pair D. So what's to say that Seattle can't do the same or better? They'll get a better overall D lineup in the expansion and a better overall lineup with the possible exception of centers. .500 point percentage would mean a 20th place finish.

BTW, if you tell any Wings fan that Blash is a great coach, you'd get laughed off the board. Pretty much every fan wanted Blash replaced, but I predicted he'd be extended when they started playing better in March. I'm just glad Bylsma is gone, it was the league's worst PP. And speaking of really bad PP, they just promoted the PP coach to head coach in CBJ, so don't expect them to do any better next season.

And yet people would say he's better than who they had for CBJ.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
And yet people would say he's better than who they had for CBJ.
There are a lot of fans that hate Torts, but he's not the only reason why CBJ was losing.

They should have upgraded instead of promoting one of the worst PP coaches in the league. It's a poorly run organization, just like Buffalo and Ottawa.

Edit: Obviously it's my opinion, but it isn't without basis:
Seth Jones Not Interested In Re-Signing With Columbus, Per Report | 1st Ohio Battery
Pierre-Luc Dubois' trade request puts Blue Jackets under NHL spotlight (dispatch.com)

and of course there's Laine who had 21 points and went -29 under the offensive assistant that is now head coach.

Last edited:

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest

I didn't and I will not defend Blashill as a headcoach. I honestly believe Yzerman brought him back yet again to help with the tank for the 22 and 23 drafts.

But there is something to be said about coaching stability and system familiarity. A team that plays the same system for 4+ years will have an advantage over a team that is learning it's 3rd system in 4 years, and a team of less talented vets with a consistent, stable system can accomplish more than a more talented team of younger players that are adapting to constantly changing systems.

Seattle will be filled with a mix of players all trying to learn a new system with revolving linemates and there is no guaranty of chemistry or success, as these things usually take a good portion of a season to come together as new coaching staffs try to sort out roles and make personnel decision on what works and what doesn't.

I think the smart thing to do will be to re-evaluate after the expansion draft and all the trades have been finalized and then see what Francis is working with, and plan a course for the year then. Crazy trade opportunities sometimes do arise on draft day, but having a solidified vision on expectations that influence those trades and decisions is probably pretty important to set before the actual draft.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I don't think a lot of posters here watch videos, I've already pointed out Clarke's knock kneed skating. He can't use his outside edge at all because of that stance. We definitely agree on Clarke (not a top 2 pick), the team that picks him better have a damn good skating coach. He may be the kid that falls in this draft, there's always at least one.
Yeah, I am really not sure how he is being rated so high by some of the media outlets out there. To me, Hughes is by far the higher upside player, even with his injury.

To be honest, I wouldn't be too upset if Francis drafted Edvinsson, although i think the risk with him is a little too high for the 2nd overall pick, but he has all the tools, and it is impressive to watch his offensive aggressiveness and defensive positioning and awareness playing in the SWE - 1 against much older players. If he drops, I think he is going to be the steal of the draft.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
There are a lot of fans that hate Torts, but he's not the only reason why CBJ was losing.

They should have upgraded instead of promoting one of the worst PP coaches in the league. It's a poorly run organization, just like Buffalo and Ottawa.

Edit: Obviously it's my opinion, but it isn't without basis:
Seth Jones Not Interested In Re-Signing With Columbus, Per Report | 1st Ohio Battery
Pierre-Luc Dubois' trade request puts Blue Jackets under NHL spotlight (dispatch.com)

and of course there's Laine who had 21 points and went -29 under the offensive assistant that is now head coach.

and yet torts gets all the blame for it...

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I didn't and I will not defend Blashill as a headcoach. I honestly believe Yzerman brought him back yet again to help with the tank for the 22 and 23 drafts.

But there is something to be said about coaching stability and system familiarity. A team that plays the same system for 4+ years will have an advantage over a team that is learning it's 3rd system in 4 years, and a team of less talented vets with a consistent, stable system can accomplish more than a more talented team of younger players that are adapting to constantly changing systems.

Seattle will be filled with a mix of players all trying to learn a new system with revolving linemates and there is no guaranty of chemistry or success, as these things usually take a good portion of a season to come together as new coaching staffs try to sort out roles and make personnel decision on what works and what doesn't.

I think the smart thing to do will be to re-evaluate after the expansion draft and all the trades have been finalized and then see what Francis is working with, and plan a course for the year then. Crazy trade opportunities sometimes do arise on draft day, but having a solidified vision on expectations that influence those trades and decisions is probably pretty important to set before the actual draft.
Stevie isn't tanking, if he was he would've brought Howard back instead of signing Greiss. The team just doesn't have talent. Blash doesn't help the tank either because his goal is to get to .500 pt % by trying to go for 0-0 tie games. The main complaint from fans is that he's not developing players at all.

If a team wanted to emulate Blash, it's not that hard. He's not a coaching genius, he's a collegiate goalie. They play a defensive shell most of the game as long as the game is within 1 goal. We call it the 1-2-2, dump but don't chase. Which is still better than the previous season where the system was toss the puck to center ice. (They had 4 AHL level D the previous season.) Anyone who's played organized hockey can figure out the system, it's how you normally play to protect a lead at the end of a game. Blash's system is to do it the entire game without a lead.

In any case, I just hope the players selected are as motivated as VGK players were. Grinder type players tend to mesh pretty quickly, I'm hoping for 4 lines that can cycle the puck and grind it out even if they can't score. While they won't get to the Cup Finals, I don't expect a bottom 10 finish either. But a lot of that has to do with deals made before the expansion draft, Francis needs to rip a few teams off like McPhee did.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
We call it the 1-2-2, dump but don't chase
LOL

I believe you, but as an outsider who admittingly watches very few Redwing games, his moves look to be more focused on mostly trying to reload the system before putting much energy or draft capital into trying to build something competitive in Detroit (which honestly, i think is smart).

Reactions: SoupNazi

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Yeah, I am really not sure how he is being rated so high by some of the media outlets out there. To me, Hughes is by far the higher upside player, even with his injury.

To be honest, I wouldn't be too upset if Francis drafted Edvinsson, although i think the risk with him is a little too high for the 2nd overall pick, but he has all the tools, and it is impressive to watch his offensive aggressiveness and defensive positioning and awareness playing in the SWE - 1 against much older players. If he drops, I think he is going to be the steal of the draft.
I'd be pissed if Seattle drafted Edvinsson with Beniers a potential top Centre was staring the Krakens in the face

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
First year taking a look at prospects and the draft process so im not too sure how often quality centers pop up nor am i too educated on how good of a prospect Beniers is but If the Kraken believe in him and believe he can turn into a quality center I think we should take him. As a Wild fan we are desperate for a quality center to pair up with KK and Fiala and would hate to see the Kraken pass on one.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I mean, Vegas has made the semifinals in 3 of their first four seasons. And the Kraken has MORE leverage than the Knights did because of the flat cap.
When I compare Seattle's most likely available players and then compare them to Vegas, it literally is night and day to me. Vegas was gifted 2 young 30 goal scorers in Smith and Marchessault, and also got young guys with pedigree that had scored at lower levels and were still young and had shown glimpses of greatness in Karlsson, Perron and Haula.

On D, they had young quality players available. Schmidt had 41 points in 43 games as a defenseman for Minnesota in the NCAA. Theodore and McNabb both put up more than a point per game in juniors. All three of those guys were at the age that they were primed for a breakout in the NHL. I see some quality vets available to Seattle, but no where near the potential.

In net, Vegas got a stanley cup winning former#1 overall pick in Fleury that was still in his prime and that went on to finish top 3 in Vezina voting. I don't think Seattle will be so lucky.

Then when i take into account that the vegas draft wasn't that long ago, the talent is more diluted, and teams learned a lot of lessons from that draft, it is hard for me to believe that Seattle will have nearly as much success picking up quality players. This year I expect teams to trade amongst themselves to limit losses, possibly getting some draft capital. Vegas will probably take one of the better draft eligible players for picks since they will still be exempt. San Jose has a forward slot open. Phoenix has a defensive slot available, etc.

With all that said, I believe Vegas was a fluke and I do not recommend using them as a good reason to bet any cash on Seattle making the finals soon.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I'd be pissed if Seattle drafted Edvinsson with Beniers a potential top Centre was staring the Krakens in the face
I think it comes down to how good you think Berniers is actually going to be. I just dont see him as a top 3 pick in most drafts. I think he is being ranked higher than he should be because he is the only natural center in the top 10. I think more Radek Bonk or David Legwand (both fine players, but not worthy of top 3 picks)

I think he has a high floor with his tenacity, but I don't view his ceiling as a top center. I think if he peaks, it'll be as a decent two way 2nd line center, which is still pretty good, but having the chance to draft the 2nd overall pick doesn't happen all that often, so I'm more inclined to take a gamble on the high ceiling player when looking at the top of the draft.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
When I compare Seattle's most likely available players and then compare them to Vegas, it literally is night and day to me. Vegas was gifted 2 young 30 goal scorers in Smith and Marchessault, and also got young guys with pedigree that had scored at lower levels and were still young and had shown glimpses of greatness in Karlsson, Perron and Haula.

On D, they had young quality players available. Schmidt had 41 points in 43 games as a defenseman for Minnesota in the NCAA. Theodore and McNabb both put up more than a point per game in juniors. All three of those guys were at the age that they were primed for a breakout in the NHL. I see some quality vets available to Seattle, but no where near the potential.

In net, Vegas got a stanley cup winning former#1 overall pick in Fleury that was still in his prime and that went on to finish top 3 in Vezina voting. I don't think Seattle will be so lucky.

Then when i take into account that the vegas draft wasn't that long ago, the talent is more diluted, and teams learned a lot of lessons from that draft, it is hard for me to believe that Seattle will have nearly as much success picking up quality players. This year I expect teams to trade amongst themselves to limit losses, possibly getting some draft capital. Vegas will probably take one of the better draft eligible players for picks since they will still be exempt. San Jose has a forward slot open. Phoenix has a defensive slot available, etc.

With all that said, I believe Vegas was a fluke and I do not recommend using them as a good reason to bet any cash on Seattle making the finals soon.
They got the #1 goalie because Pittsburgh had cap issues (plus a 2nd round pick), and there are teams in similar circumstances, some that need to make room for the upcoming season (Tampa) and others that need to make room to re-sign players after the season. The pre-draft deal making is just as important as the draft itself. Theodore was acquired in a trade, in exchange for picking Stoner. Prime example of what Francis needs to do.

The odd thing about that draft is that McPhee isn't even a good negotiator. He's the same idiot who traded Forsberg for Erat and a bunch of draft picks for Tatar. I have confidence that Francis can do just as well as he did.

Plus that #1 goalie is available in free agency, along with Taylor Hall, RNH, Dougie, Landeskog, Barrie, etc. Pretty thin at center though, unless you like RNH. Could just ask Tampa to waive Tyler Johnson again.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
They got the #1 goalie because Pittsburgh had cap issues (plus a 2nd round pick), and there are teams in similar circumstances, some that need to make room for the upcoming season (Tampa) and others that need to make room to re-sign players after the season. The pre-draft deal making is just as important as the draft itself. Theodore was acquired in a trade, in exchange for picking Stoner. Prime example of what Francis needs to do.

The odd thing about that draft is that McPhee isn't even a good negotiator. He's the same idiot who traded Forsberg for Erat and a bunch of draft picks for Tatar. I have confidence that Francis can do just as well as he did.

Plus that #1 goalie is available in free agency, along with Taylor Hall, RNH, Dougie, Landeskog, Barrie, etc. Pretty thin at center though, unless you like RNH. Could just ask Tampa to waive Tyler Johnson again.
Smith and Haua were also trade acquisitions with the intent of protecting other players. I don't see very many teams willing to give up promising prospects to protect players. You may be right with Washington, as they are in a tough spot with their goalie situation, but what would they be willing to part with? Oshie maybe? I'm not seeing a Haula or Theodore return here.

If Francis wants to overspend big in Free agency, then all bets are off, but given his past, I doubt he makes a big splash on any of the top UFAs in year one, as they are all going to probably be well overpaid.

Hoping to poach quality players from Tampa may be hard too, as all of their top players except Point and Sergachev have NTCs, and none of them will waive, and they aren't moving point or sergachev unless the return is huge.

I have a feeling Tampa may try to waive Tyler Johnson again, so he may be had for free, but if Johnson is one of your top 6 centers and you don't have line driving wings, you probably aren't going to be super successful. I would prefer Seattle stay away to be honest, he's small and not very good defensively, and at this stage of his career, while versatile in a pinch, he no longer is the dynamic offensive player he was 6 or 7 years ago.

I'm looked for good cap casualty quality targets, but not seeing the quality Vegas had available. Have their been any rumors of potential targets?

Last edited:

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Smith and Haua were also trade acquisitions with the intent of protecting other players. I don't see very many teams willing to give up promising prospects to protect players. You may be right with Washington, as they are in a tough spot with their goalie situation, but what would they be willing to part with? Oshie maybe? I'm not seeing a Haula or Theodore return here.

If Francis wants to overspend big in Free agency, then all bets are off, but given his past, I doubt he makes a big splash on any of the top UFAs in year one, as they are all going to probably be well overpaid.

Hoping to poach quality players from Tampa may be hard too, as all of their top players except Point and Sergachev have NTCs, and none of them will waive, and they aren't moving point or sergachev unless the return is huge.

I have a feeling Tampa may try to waive Tyler Johnson again, so he may be had for free, but if Johnson is one of your top 6 centers and you don't have line driving wings, you probably aren't going to be super successful. I would prefer Seattle stay away to be honest, he's small and not very good defensively, and at this stage of his career, while versatile in a pinch, he no longer is the dynamic offensive player he was 6 or 7 years ago.
Tampa is going to need to pay assets to get Johnson off their roster (trade/expansion draft), buy him out or just let him play his contract out. Outside of the first option they still end up with a hit on their cap.

Waiving last year didn't help and neither will it this year. If the worst teams in the league did not take on Johnson for 'free', little chance that Francis would do that when the Lightning's backs are even further up against the wall.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Tampa is going to need to pay assets to get Johnson off their roster (trade/expansion draft), buy him out or just let him play his contract out. Outside of the first option they still end up with a hit on their cap.

Waiving last year didn't help and neither will it this year. If the worst teams in the league did not take on Johnson for 'free', little chance that Francis would do that when the Lightning's backs are even further up against the wall.
I think the problem was that he was unwilling to waive the NTC clause, so no deal could be worked out with slight retention or other options.

He doesn't have a NMC, so Tampa waived him, but with 3 years and Covid uncertainty, no one took a gamble. Now he has 2 years instead of 3, and the actual dollars owed will only be 8.5 for two years, so he might be a little more valuable and someone might take a chance on him. I am sorta hoping it isn't Seattle.

If worst comes to worst, I think Tampa might waive him and if no one bites, they may keep him in the minors to force his hand to waive his NTC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->