Who should the Kraken take with the #2 overall pick?

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
not really...if they are keeping Eichel they need a 2nd line center more than another top pair left d. if they are trading Eichel then they need a center more than another top pair left d.
I think you could do it for cap space and cash...take Okposo in expansion draft in exchange for flipping 1OA and 2nd OA
They have Reinhart for now, who was great as their #1 center when Eichel was out.

The hope in Buffalo is Mittelstadt will soon be up for 2nd line center duty moving forward, he made huge strides last season.

They also have Dylan Cozens who is a natural center. He played his first pro year on the wing, but should get some time playing center this season if Eichel is out or traded.

All that said, I don't think Adams drafts Power. He seems to want to do everything "differently" than conventional wisdom dictates... for better or worse.

If Buffalo move Eichel, trading Okposo's contract won't be a priority, he is useful and they like having him around, (even if he is overpriced by 3.25 million). They would, however, be extremely interested in Hill or Vanecek if Seattle drafted either, imo.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
The rankings are for sure all over the place. Black book is something I have bought yearly now just released their final version. They have Beniers at 4 behind Power, Eklund and Edvinsson. McKeen's (another I purchase yearly) has Power, Beniers, Eklund and Hughes as their top-4. FC Hockey seems to have released their guide as well (another I purchased) also has Beniers at 4 behind Power, Clarke and Hughes.

I was not sold on us picking Eklund at #2 but I am definitely warming up to it. He is a winger but the more I read about him the more I get the feeling that he can drive a line on his own.

Reactions: jbron

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
What do Kraken fans think of trading 2OA? Say as a main piece for Eichel?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
What do Kraken fans think of trading 2OA? Say as a main piece for Eichel?

Assuming his neck injury checks out and is not an issue, I would need to get a clearer picture on what the package for Eichel would be. And I doubt we get that till atleast after the expansion draft when we are likely to get some more picks, prospects and have some tradeable assets.

Personally, I would like to still keep our 2OA pick just to get our own identity player.

Reactions: wraparound

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Assuming his neck injury checks out and is not an issue, I would need to get a clearer picture on what the package for Eichel would be. And I doubt we get that till atleast after the expansion draft when we are likely to get some more picks, prospects and have some tradeable assets.

Personally, I would like to still keep our 2OA pick just to get our own identity player.

We do not have the assets to spare to land him.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
We do not have the assets to spare to land him.

Depends on what Buffalo wants. After the expansion draft we will have a roster (of sorts) with some NHL players, some prospects and more picks in addition to our own picks. We are NOT going to have any blue-chip/elite prospects or players. If Francis wanted, he could definitely make a decent offer for Eichel around our picks AND the best we get in the expansion draft (eg: Dumba, Dunn, etc.).

I don't think its a question of assets we have to spare. It is more about forging your own identity with your top picks or trying to buy your way to good start in the NHL. I prefer to keep our picks and only start spending assets after we have a few elite and blue-chip prospects of our own in a few years.

Reactions: Puckrobber

Puckrobber

Backup Netminder
Feb 28, 2016
Central Oklahoma
I like Eichel, but, the neck issue is a worry. He could be fine to start the season, then, a bad hit in the 1st game could injure him permanently. Plus, the Sabres are asking for the moon to get him.

I'd rather draft some great players, and let them make their own Kraken history.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Two Scouching videos about Beniers and Clarke.

Nice scouting videos. The narrator seems to track a lot of stats, even if they look to be over small sample sizes

The guy really seems to like Beniers, but my one concern with Beniers that I don't think he addressed is that he has a lack of awareness of space.

Defensemen backing up are going to tend to be right where they want to be position wise, and instead of skating to open space with the puck, drawing the D out of position and creating space for his linemates, Beniers skates right at the D, throws a head fake, and skates wide around them, then skates right to the next defender and throws the same move.

This serves him pretty well in the NCAA, and he will be able to use it on bottom pairing guys, and overly aggressive forecheckers in the NHL, but as he moves up the foodchain and plays on higher scoring lines, he will face much tougher defensive assignments, and good lateral skating defensemen with strong gap control are going to eat him and that move alive.

His tenacity and motor almost guarantee he could be a useful NHL player as a third line energy center, and I don't doubt he could find a nice role as a solid second line option for a line built to play north south, but to be an effective top line pivot, I feel he is going to have to change his style and the way he reads the ice to reach that potential.

Reactions: derriko

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
The rankings are for sure all over the place. Black book is something I have bought yearly now just released their final version. They have Beniers at 4 behind Power, Eklund and Edvinsson. McKeen's (another I purchase yearly) has Power, Beniers, Eklund and Hughes as their top-4. FC Hockey seems to have released their guide as well (another I purchased) also has Beniers at 4 behind Power, Clarke and Hughes.

I was not sold on us picking Eklund at #2 but I am definitely warming up to it. He is a winger but the more I read about him the more I get the feeling that he can drive a line on his own.
Eklund would be awesome. Either one of Beniers or Eklund should be the pick at 2.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
What's the opinion on Jesper Wallstedt around here?

Just thought it would an effing awesome if you guys pick him and he becomes the actual Kraken. Franchise goalie.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
If we can get a mid first from a deal, I'd absolutely be good with taking him. But not at 2.
I really like Wallstedt game but agree not worth 2nd overall. Maybe, if was 7th-10th overall range if got through trade? He's going to go early in 1st round but don't think top 5.

Reactions: Irie

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Yeah. But I am starting to see more prospect reports which have Beniers higher than Power as well.
Me, too. In fact there seems to be even less clarity about the top five than their was a month ago. At this point so many sources have wildly different rankings that it is hard to say. But Power and Beniers still look like the concensus top pair once the dust settles, especially for teams seeking a D or a C.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I'm thinking it'll be Beniers at 2. I would take Brandt Clarke though, as I truly think he's the best player available in the draft. He's not quite Makar, but similar skillset. If we can get a potential 1D it's something I'd jump at.

If we want a forward I'd go with William Eklund. Kid is very underrated from what I'm reading, and also has star potential.

Reactions: EXTRAS

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I'm thinking it'll be Beniers at 2. I would take Brandt Clarke though, as I truly think he's the best player available in the draft. He's not quite Makar, but similar skillset. If we can get a potential 1D it's something I'd jump at.

If we want a forward I'd go with William Eklund. Kid is very underrated from what I'm reading, and also has star potential.
I am warming to the Eklund idea. Hearing nothing but good things and his stock is definitely rising.

I am really starting to believe Adams passes on Power to draft a forward, and Francis scoops Power up at 2.

I honestly think Clarke drops out of the top 5 due to his physical limitations.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I am warming to the Eklund idea. Hearing nothing but good things and his stock is definitely rising.

I am really starting to believe Adams passes on Power to draft a forward, and Francis scoops Power up at 2.

I honestly think Clarke drops out of the top 5 due to his physical limitations.

Eklund kinda reminds me of Pettersson where he’s flying under the radar a bit and is going very underrated. I wouldn’t at all be surprised if he and Brandt Clarke are the top 2 players coming out of the draft.

I get why some GM’s may pass on Clarke but that would be a huge mistake.

Reactions: gameface

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Based on expansion draft roster, I'm sticking with Beniers as my guess.

Low event hockey roster with too many D, and decent goalies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad