Who should the Kraken take with the #2 overall pick?

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Trade up with Buffalo to get Power. How to do it in the expansion draft. We take player Sabres want to dump in exchange for 1st overall and they get 2nd overall.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Trade up with Buffalo to get Power. How to do it in the expansion draft. We take player Sabres want to dump in exchange for 1st overall and they get 2nd overall.

And here's the thing that isn't much of a drop between 1 and 2.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Can't imagine Buffalo doing this. It would take way more than that to pry Power away from them.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Can't imagine Buffalo doing this. It would take way more than that to pry Power away from them.

Weak draft pool and Buffalo can offload a bad contract onto us for a swap. There is no difference between 1 and 5 this draft.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Weak draft pool and Buffalo can offload a bad contract onto us for a swap. There is no difference between 1 and 5 this draft.
I don't think there is much difference either, but a 6 foot, 5 1/2 inch defenseman who is a unanimous #1 choice among Bob McKenzie's ten NHL scouts? Those guys don't grow on trees.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I don't think there is much difference either, but a 6 foot, 5 1/2 inch defenseman who is a unanimous #1 choice among Bob McKenzie's ten NHL scouts? Those guys don't grow on trees.

Here's the thing its buffalo.. The experts can say what they want there is no guarantee buffalo will actually take power. They could but they may not. All i am saying is for certain on what buffalo will actually do with that pick. What if they need a center more than they want a Dman, they could do that.

MattMan

May 31, 2021
Here's the thing its buffalo.. The experts can say what they want there is no guarantee buffalo will actually take power. They could but they may not. All i am saying is for certain on what buffalo will actually do with that pick. What if they need a center more than they want a Dman, they could do that.

Didn't Buffalo fire all of their scouts? I think they are very likely to follow pretty closely to the draft boards. I'd love for Power to drop to us, though.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Didn't Buffalo fire all of their scouts? I think they are very likely to follow pretty closely to the draft boards. I'd love for Power to drop to us, though.

The problem is who is making the actual decisions here. Its the owner an his wife is team president and the GM is basically a yes sir. i do what ever you want person. I don't trust that the team will actually take power or even keep the pick if someone comes up with an offer.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
I dont think it matters, hopefully whoever they determine to have a higher ceiling. This is an opportunity to have a front man for this team for years to come.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

Absolutely not.
We should just leave the pick to the scouts and pick who we think is BPA at #2.

Also, Power isn't that kind of a clear cut of a #1 pick as some are trying to tell you.
With the Sabres already having Dahlin as #1 LD and problems at Center(especially if Eichel were to be traded) they might even go ahead and take Beniers at #1.

It's not like their rankings haven't been wrong before and most importantly this years draft class has been really tough to scout and as soon as you go outside of the established McKenzie you'll find out that things are all over the place, even at #1.

And I'm not talking about some online mock drafts but rather other sites(like Dobbersports for example) which are also dedicated to the Draft and have scouts working for them.

BTW: I'm personally looking at Beniers at #2 but I'm actually open to a lot of different scenarios.
I might even be OK with trading down with teams like Columbus, New Jersey or Detroit being in the top six and having multiple first round picks.

Last edited:

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018
if Power goes #1 as expected any of Beniers, Clarke or McTavish would be great picks IMO, probably in that order

Reactions: wraparound

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
From an upside perspective I would take
Brandt Clarke (potential top pair RHDs don't grow on trees)
Kent Johnson (IMO has the highest upside of any player in this draft and is a C)
Owen Power if the Sabres don't take him 1st for some reason.
Or be bold and swing for the fences with Jesper Wallstedt (some believe he is a better goalie prospect than Askarov, idk where I stand on that but they're both great).

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Kent Johnson (IMO has the highest upside of any player in this draft and is a C)
Or be bold and swing for the fences with Jesper Wallstedt (some believe he is a better goalie prospect than Askarov, idk where I stand on that but they're both great).

Well, if we're talking upside then Simon Edvinsson is probably the guy to look at.
He's got all the tools(size, great hands, skating, defense) you would want but seems to need a bit more time(than others) to develop.

Just read a pretty interesting article on him by the Athletic.

Anyways, it's going to be interesting what Francis and the scouts/analytics department decide to do at #2.

Reactions: UnkleKraker

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I think the first two really ought to be Beniers and Power in either order. I figure with a top 2 pick, either would be great. A lot of people seem to really like Hughes, but I'm not sold as a 2nd overall, same with Edvinsson. Clarke is an interesting thought, but again... 2nd overall... nah.

I suppose it depends on what they think they need after the expansion draft. Not a whole lot of time to figure that out either, but with that being the case, I think it's crazy not to go with one of those two... but I'm no expert like the guys making the pick.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Beniers is my choice.

But if Powers falls...eh, he looks like a stud Dman.
Since the Expansion draft is practically devoid of top flight,top 6 type forwards,Matthew Beniers is a no brainer that has no 1, no 2 type potential at centre if handled and developed properly

Reactions: Cogburn

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I'd be very disappointed if we take a goalie with the #2 pick. Way too much a roll of the dice. I'd prefer a D or a C that we can build around.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Since the Expansion draft is practically devoid of top flight,top 6 type forwards,Matthew Beniers is a no brainer that has no 1, no 2 type potential at centre if handled and developed properly

The expansion draft should have absolutely nothing to do with the entry draft, IMO.

I also don't expect our first rounder to be a contributor during our first season given that those kids have missed out on at least a year of their development.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
The expansion draft should have absolutely nothing to do with the entry draft, IMO.

I also don't expect our first rounder to be a contributor during our first season given that those kids have missed out on at least a year of their development.

Totally agreed on the bolded.

I expect us to pick Beniers who is in college. If he was CHL or WHL I would have expected him to get a few games at the start of the season before being sent down (not burn ELC) but with him being in college that is not an option. I expect him to go back to Michigan and try to win the Frozen Four.

Reactions: andys

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Reactions: andys

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->