Who, quietly, had a very impressive season?

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Krejci has been mentioned (20G 53A), but I would also include Jake Debrusk. He had 27 goals in 68GP, which is about at 32 goal pace. Not too bad for a pick that was panned in 2015.

Btown

Oct 1, 2011
David Krejci tied his most points in a season this year. Bruins only iron man with the exception of a rest once playoff seating was done and there was nothing to play for (healthy scratch).
Really held down the Fort early while injuries added up for the Bruins.
Can’t wait to see what he can do in the playoffs. He has the ability to raise his game to that next level.

Reactions: Fixxer

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
People listing guys like Max Domi and wheels come on, both had amazing years in do is case surprising but that’s not what the thread asked, it said quiet so that should almost automatically disqualify any star or too player on a Canadian team because that’s never quiet. Lol

Anyway

Huberdeau, dadanov, (2 years in. Row)
Reinhart, E Rod (2 years in a row)
Atkinson
Teravainen/Svechnikov
Parise
Zibinajed (butchered the name) Kreider
Connor (two years in a row)
Meier/Hertl
Krug, Krejci
Nurse
Cirelli

Reactions: DaveG and Gecklund

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
David Krejci tied his most points in a season this year. Bruins only iron man with the exception of a rest once playoff seating was done and there was nothing to play for (healthy scratch).
Really held down the Fort early while injuries added up for the Bruins.
Can’t wait to see what he can do in the playoffs. He has the ability to raise his game to that next level.

Always underrated playing in the top line during PBs injury definitely helped too

Reactions: Btown

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Had no idea about Hertl. Knew he was having a breakthrough year, but didn’t know it was just shy of ppg. Thought Timo Meier was going to be the guy to mention from that team. I was wrong.

Reactions: Gecklund and Fixxer

TopCheese

Mar 16, 2016
canada
Jack Campbell had a .928 sv% in 31GP for LA and still had a losing record. He literally let in one fewer goal every game than Quick to no end.

8th on the team in 5v5 P/60, behind Moore and Ennis despite being stapled to Tavares/Matthews for most of the season. Sorry, no, he's a lot closer to wildly overrated than quietly beastly.
It’s almost like there’s more to winning games than just getting points or something

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
Casey Cizikas was a +21 and had 20 goals this season shutting down top lines all year.
Ryan Pulock was a legit minute munching #1 Dman this year.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Kyle Clifford.

Career high in goals, points, and led the team in +/- while getting just about 100PIMS

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Erik Gustafsson is probably the most random 60 point season by a dman in quite a while.

What's funny is that he's an Oilers draft pick and what they need the most is a right handed offensive dman that can run the pp. He scored 17 goals too.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Erik Gustafsson is probably the most random 60 point season by a dman in quite a while.

Biggest product of Kane I have ever witnessed. Can't defend worth a damn either. A very boring miniature version of Burns is the best description for him imho. Reminds me of Del Zotto in his Ranger days as well.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Erik Gustaffson easily has the most surprising statline of 2018-2019.

17-43-60 in 79 games.

I was looking for him. What happened to him? I don't see any kind of offensive domination at any level and just last year he was between AHL and NHL.

And he's 27.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
:panthers

Frank Vatrano had 24 goals, 22 of them at even strength and 39pts in his first full season (81 games). Signed a 3 year extension for $2.53 million AAV and was acquired for a 3rd round pick, BOS selected Jakub Lauko with that pick.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Jeff Petry had a 46pts (13 goals) season while shutting down opposition, his best season so far.
Please don't remind me! (Oilers' fan)

I'm not sure how "quiet" it was, but I'm going to nominate the Oilers' Darnell Nurse. Yes, he still makes boneheaded plays on occasion, and yes he has that tendency to skate the puck into the corner and then lose it, but:
-- he was 4th on the Oilers in scoring (recall they had two of the top-five guys in the League)
-- career high in points
-- his 41 points are the most by any Oilers' D-man since Souray, 10 years ago
-- played almost 24 minutes a game

His plus/minus somehow wasn't as good as last season, but his skating and offensive game took major strides. If he could just learn how to one-time the puck on goal, he'd be a borderline All Star.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Oh right, in that case I'm impressed by Hyman's ability to not score points.

Also impressive: Valeri Nichushkin's zero goals and PIM in 57 GP.

Nope-no one can say anything positive about the Leafs.
Really: comparing a guy, who did nothing, to someone who PKs and scored 20g, really?

Take off your hater glasses.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Biggest product of Kane I have ever witnessed. Can't defend worth a damn either. A very boring miniature version of Burns is the best description for him imho. Reminds me of Del Zotto in his Ranger days as well.

What about all his points that Kane wasnt on the ice for? Goose basically made Chicago's powerplay go from last to top 10 once he was on the top unit

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
As per the title....

looking at the top 50 scorers, the one guy for me is Teuvo Teräväinen with 21G 55A

Dont think the Canes make the playoffs without him.

I bet the Hawks would take him and Bickell's contract back.

If Bickell's MS is discoverd earlier while he is still in Chicago they never need to trade him in the first place. That whole situation and everything that happened isnt something a team could really plan for especially when it mirrored symptoms of Vertigo that have been noted as early as 2014 and 15.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Please don't remind me! (Oilers' fan)

I'm not sure how "quiet" it was, but I'm going to nominate the Oilers' Darnell Nurse. Yes, he still makes boneheaded plays on occasion, and yes he has that tendency to skate the puck into the corner and then lose it, but:
-- he was 4th on the Oilers in scoring (recall they had two of the top-five guys in the League)
-- career high in points
-- his 41 points are the most by any Oilers' D-man since Souray, 10 years ago
-- played almost 24 minutes a game

His plus/minus somehow wasn't as good as last season, but his skating and offensive game took major strides. If he could just learn how to one-time the puck on goal, he'd be a borderline All Star.

Pretty neat, i hope the Oilers get good fast.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Darnell Nurse made strides offensively this year hitting double digit goals and 41 points. Didn’t progress as much defensively as I was expecting, but all in all it’s coming together for him.

He was in over his head at times when Klefbom and Sekera were out but he’s a legit top 4 D man.

With his elite skating, he’ll be a solid top 4 D man well into his 30s.

We need to find him a solid D partner for the future, Russell isn’t the guy long term.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Nope-no one can say anything positive about the Leafs.
Really: comparing a guy, who did nothing, to someone who PKs and scored 20g, really?

Take off your hater glasses.

120 other players managed to score 20 goals, and 6 of Hyman's were into empty nets. You're welcome to find scoring 14 goals alongside two of the best forwards in the league 'very impressive', if you insist.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
What about all his points that Kane wasnt on the ice for? Goose basically made Chicago's powerplay go from last to top 10 once he was on the top unit
Then he would be your ordinary 20-30 d-man who is a disaster in his own zone if he did have some good ole Kaner carrying...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad