Who, quietly, had a very impressive season?

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Dahlin. Fantastic rookie season for a defensemen. If he played on a better team or was canadian he would be talked about every day on this board. Buffalo have an amazing player in him already, he does everything at a top level.

Btw i just hope NYR can get an elite talent on their roster soon. Makes everything more fun when you have that top player/talent on your team and its been a long time since we had that. Im jealous of all the teams with elite forwards/defensemen....

Last edited:

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Andrew Shaw had some injuries but still produced his best offensive season:

19G - 28A- 47P in 63 games.
For those of you doing the math at home:

That's a 25g 61p pace over 82 games.

From Andrew Shaw. And he looks like a 60 point guy too, not just leeching points from elite linemates.

Very impressed by his play this year

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I remember that main board thread saying Sebastian Aho should get consideration for the Hart Trophy because he was a one-man-army-offense on the Hurricanes. I replied, "not really, they also have Teräväinen".

"OMG, :help: are you serious !€%&¥!!¢‰&%/!!" was the answer.

Not long thereafter Teräväinen was picked off the Aho line, but continued to put up points with wicked offenseman Jordan Staal whereas Aho fell back to earth, and at seasons end Aho finished only 7 points ahead.

I think you might be exaggerating a bit? Unless the search function didn't work correctly, or you are referring to a different thread (which could be the case). As far as I can tell, there was 1 single response to your post in that thread and it was simply "What?". I posted it below.

Sebastian Aho for the Hart Trophy?

How can Aho win the Hart when he plays on the same line as the Teuvo.

I agree though on TT. He had a quietly good year.

Reactions: DaveG and ehhedler

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Can't comment much on other teams, but Dougie Hamilton also had an outstanding season and a lot of it went unnoticed because he was injured early in the season so the Canes had to lighten his minutes due to that. From my understanding, he has a history of really turning it on the 2nd half of seasons in the past as well.

18 goals (only 2 on the PP) and 39 points (only 7 on the PP). Since Jan 1st though, 15G, 29P and +15 in 44 games played. He's been fantastic with Slavin on the top pairing and is a big reason the Canes are in the playoffs.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
I bet the Hawks wish they knew Bickell had MS before the deal...
they still threw a bad contract at him, and it wasnt his MS that made the deal bad. Was poor judgment.

Did the same with Bolland, Hossa, Keith, and Seabrook.... Keith's cap hit isnt SO bad, but theyre still stuck with him untill 22-23 unless they plan to "cheat" a la LTIR.

They won their Cups, but now are facing the consequences. Who knows when theyll be contenders again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Voight

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Mantha kinda got overshadowed by Larkin and Athanasiou. Guy would've scored 30 if he hadn't broken his hand on somebody's face.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Pretty sure the winner of this award is Marcus Pettersson.

Third in scoring among rookie defenseman. Lead all rookie defenseman in +/-.

Was also an iron man that played in 84 games.

It was so quiet he played for my favorite team and I didn’t even realize any of this until just a little while ago by dumb luck when looking at another player’s stats.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Mantha kinda got overshadowed by Larkin and Athanasiou. Guy would've scored 30 if he hadn't broken his hand on somebody's face.

was kind of an expected season from him, considering scoring went up across the league, no?

I think Athanasiou was a bigger surprise.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Ryan Johansen....second highest points Season in his career this year. He's a pass first kinda guy, so probably won't get the love...but man is he generating scoring chances.
And in a season where Forsberg and Arvi both missed a rather large chunk of time.

Speaking of which, Arvidsson scored 34 goals and 48 points in only 58 games. Nashville probably has its first 40 goal scorer if he doesn't get hurt.

Reactions: bdub24

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Evan Rodriguez. One of the very few players on our roster to exceed expectations and he actually far exceeded them. Our 4th best forward by a mile.

Larsson, while not contributing a lot offensively, was great this season, a possession monster.

4th line was better than 2nd and 3rd all season long.

Reactions: sabremike

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad