Who, quietly, had a very impressive season?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Bishop -- had no clue he was among the leaders in the goaltending categories, nice bounce back to his 2016 form.

Strome really impressed me after we traded for him. 51 points in 58 games while gaining confidence everyday. After all the bust talk, looks like he'll reach his potential. Brendan Perlini as well, ever since that game against TOR he's really picked it up and show flashes of his goal scoring abilities / potential.

Thanks Arizona :nod:

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
Had JVR played a full season it's likely he would have at least matched his typical stat-line from his Toronto days [~30 goals, 0.70PPG].

It's impressive seeing how he's often cited as an example of an immediately terrible contract around here.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Dahlin. Fantastic rookie season for a defensemen. If he played on a better team or was canadian he would be talked about every day on this board. Buffalo have an amazing player in him already, he does everything at a top level.

Btw i just hope NYR can get an elite talent on their roster soon. Makes everything more fun when you have that top player/talent on your team and its been a long time since we had that. Im jealous of all the teams with elite forwards/defensemen....

To be fair for a 10 year stretch you had the best goalie, or one of them, on your team.

(still have him, but hasn't been the same the last couple years)

Reactions: nashnaidoo

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
they still threw a bad contract at him, and it wasnt his MS that made the deal bad. Was poor judgment.

Did the same with Bolland, Hossa, Keith, and Seabrook.... Keith's cap hit isnt SO bad, but theyre still stuck with him untill 22-23 unless they plan to "cheat" a la LTIR.

They won their Cups, but now are facing the consequences. Who knows when theyll be contenders again.

We'll be back in the dance next season. Keith's cap hit was an absolute steal during his prime so I have ZERO issues with out even now. We had the best d-man in the league for just over 5 million per season.

With the kid trio of Strome/DeBrincat/Perlini we finally have some young talent to help out Kane/Toews, after years of drafting late this was a welcome youth injection that also came fairly cheap. Now we have a guy like Gustafsson who emerged and scored 60 points out of nowhere. (add him to this thread BTW).

Our main issues is Crawfords health, hasn't been the same since he dealt with vertigo. God bless him.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Jacob Trouba hit 50 points, beating his previous best season by 17 points. 13th best scoring by a defenseman on the season. Really feel like he flew under the radar this season.

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City
This thread makes me realise how much we had a great NHL year, one of the funnest in a while and very offensive. Many players reached career years.

The most "quietly impressive" for me would be Brett Connolly, took a while to develop but I think he's gonna get even better for years to come.
Jeff Skinner with 40 goals on a mediocre Buffalo team.
Andrew Shaw on pace for 60 pts.
Erik Gustafsson, came out of nowhere and finished the season with 60 pts, as a dman.
A change of scenery for the Strome brothers did wonders.
Many other players were named already in this thread but Thomas Chabot, Jordan Binnington, Athanasiou, Kahun and Phillip Danault deserves recognition this year also.

TopCheese

Mar 16, 2016
canada
Sebastian Aho. Think it is very understated just how good this guy is. He has impressive stats with 30 goals , 83 points and +25. He is such a unique player every time I have seen a canes game. Just controls the game every time he is on the ice

Bleeker

Mar 6, 2011
Middle Earth
Carl Soderberg : 82-23-26-49
Michal Kempny : 71-6-19-25 +24
Andreas Athanasiou : 76-30-24-54
Paul Stastny : 49-13-29-42
Vince Dunn : 78-12-23-35
Filip Hronek 46-5-18-23
Travis Sanheim : 82-9-26-35
Ryan Murray : 56-1-28-29 +20
Kevin Labanc : 82-17-39-56
Phillip Danault : 81-12-42-53

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Monahan despite slowing down pretty hard over the last couple months improved on his career high by 18 points going over point-per-game for the first time in his career.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Jack Campbell had a .928 sv% in 31GP for LA and still had a losing record. He literally let in one fewer goal every game than Quick to no end.

Hyman especially. Has just been beastly this year

8th on the team in 5v5 P/60, behind Moore and Ennis despite being stapled to Tavares/Matthews for most of the season. Sorry, no, he's a lot closer to wildly overrated than quietly beastly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad