Who is the most over-hated player?

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Currently, Evander Kane gets by far the most hate on the Sharks from other fan bases. He probably gets as much hate as Raffi Torres got during his time in SJ.

Reactions: Fixxer

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
What are the odds that the day after i posted this comment there was a story about Stevens and Domi on TSN, that's funny.

I also watched it and Domi makes it sound nice but i'm sure if we heard Stevens side it would be cleared up. Stevens was the leader and he can't lead in the penalty box, he was actually in the penalty box when
Niedermeyer was destroyed as well which would make one try to avoid the box.

Didn't Stevens have somewhere around 100 career fights?
I hated the guy when he played for the Blues (of course) but I can't say I agree with Domi on this one.

Would Domi respect him more if he just sucker punched guys in front of the net instead of waiting til they had the puck and lining them up?

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Mr Hockey himself Gordie Howe was universally hated

I used to hate Gretzky, until he got traded to LA. Then I realized I just hated Edmonton.

Messier was not hated by Canucks fans just for taking the C away and dividing the room and wearing Wayne Maki's #11. He was hated for dirty plays such as spearing Rich Sutter in the teeth in a sucker move (the dentist found messier's tape lodged in his mouth the next day). We had a long history with him before he ever joined the team.

Reactions: Fixxer

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Currently, Evander Kane gets by far the most hate on the Sharks from other fan bases. He probably gets as much hate as Raffi Torres got during his time in SJ.

You'd either have to be from Winnipeg or be a Jets fan to understand. I don't know where to start with him, I mean I could start with how he walked out on his tabs at Winnipeg restaurants, but one that stands out for me is how he called Winnipeg a city full of racists.

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
He was the "heel" character of the NHL

If you ever get the chance watch his interview with Larry King. He doesn't talk about being that role, but he's definitely a complex individual who wasn't just some dumb meathead.
And really was hated for his trash talking. Never had many suspendable antics besides him never shutting up.

You know who should be hated more?

Bryan Marchment.

That guy routinely went out of his way to injure other players.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Lindros

Refusing to play for Quebec was a dick move, but he was a teenager and was just following the advice of his advisors

Listening to him during interviews in the subsequent years, the guy seems incredibly humble and likeable

Last edited:

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Lindros

Refusing to play for Quebec was a dick move, but he was a teenager and was just following the advice of his advisors

Listening to him during interviews the subsequent years, the guy seems incredibly humble and likeable
To be fair, he is a very different person now. Many of us have heard stories about the kind of person he was when he played, and we all saw what he was like on the ice. One of my all time favourites, but there were a lot of reasons a person could dislike him back then.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
I disagree, he's a career ending cheapshot artist who targeted all-stars and rarely dropped the gloves to pay the price.

As hockey fans we should all despise the player he was.
Whose career did he end with a cheap shot and don't say Willis because he didn't end Willis's career.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Most European players probably in the past. Seemed to get hate for either being soft and if they fought back for being dirty. Basically got hate just for being from a different culture and having a different approach towards the game.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Lindros

Listening to him during interviews in the subsequent years, the guy seems incredibly humble and likeable

Lindros problem is he did this 3 times.

First when he was a 16 year old kid, he refused to play for Sault Ste Marie, then as an 18 year old refusing to play for Quebec, then sat out an entire year of his prime because he didn't want to play for Philly anymore.

Don't get me wrong, hes a very likeable guy now that hes older but when you refuse to play for a team three times.... the hate is justified.

Phil Esposito owned the Soo Greyhounds at the time, so when he refused to play for an all time great like him, that really pissed off the Old Boys Club.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Lot os opinions disguised as fact, here.

Howe was not universally hated. He was universally respected. He was not the only guy in the league who was tough. Guys like Kurtenbach and Harris would stand up to him all day long.

Stevens play was within the rules during the time he played. At that time, head hunting in the open ice was not considered dirty , and was the price forwards paid for skating with their head down. What is forgotten is that stepping up to make that hit is a skill in itself, because if the forward sees you he can usually evade, and go around, making you look like a fool. Guys like Giles, Baun, and Horton all were artistes of the open ice hit, and were considered tough, not dirty.

Who gives a shit what a plug like Tie Domi thinks? He was a goon, not a hockey player.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Lindros problem is he did this 3 times.

First when he was a 16 year old kid, he refused to play for Sault Ste Marie, then as an 18 year old refusing to play for Quebec, then sat out an entire year of his prime because he didn't want to play for Philly anymore.

Don't get me wrong, hes a very likeable guy now that hes older but when you refuse to play for a team three times.... the hate is justified.

Phil Esposito owned the Soo Greyhounds at the time, so when he refused to play for an all time great like him, that really pissed off the Old Boys Club.
Biggest head down player,in junior kids would just bounce off him...In the NHL not so much

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad