Who is the most over-hated player?

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
You always see a bunch of threads for "most overrated", "most underrated" etc. but who is the most over-hated player in the league (or on your favourite team)?

A guy like Brad Marchand is hated... but he does a lot of shitty things that kinda earn that hate.

So, who is a guy that gets a lot of hate or is often scapegoated for losses that doesn't really deserve it?

Example (and inspiration for the thread): Brett Howden. Rangers fans (myself included) love trashing the guy, but he's still really young and figuring the game out.

Hattrickkane88

Apr 11, 2019
Scott Stevens for sure, he was one the greatest leaders of all time and i'm not even just talking about Hockey, this guy could lead a team into armed combat and come out on top.

He was only suspended two times for a total four games his entire career, even Mcdavid is half way there and many players with clean reps have been suspended much more then 4 games..

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I'm a newer Canucks fan (2011) and I have never understood why fellow Canuck fans hate Mark Messier so much.

He came in and demanded the C from long term captain and popular Canuck Trevor Linden. He also took his number 11, but that was an honoured number for a player that I believe passed on which upset lots of people in Vancouver. After all that he didn't play very well for Vancouver and didn't stay very long.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
He came in and demanded the C from long term captain and popular Canuck Trevor Linden. He also took his number 11, but that was an honoured number for a player that I believe passed on which upset lots of people in Vancouver. After all that he didn't play very well for Vancouver and didn't stay very long.

I also have it on good authority that he didn’t wash his hands after using the bathroom. That upset some people.

Reactions: mcnucker and Oddbob

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Corey Perry
Ryan Kesler

Are both guys that come to mind.

Marchand is hated with reason, real dirty plays with clear intent to injure. Perry and Kesler are assholes but not to that degree, still hated throughout the league.

Reactions: Quack

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Corey Perry
Ryan Kesler

Are both guys that come to mind.

Marchand is hated with reason, real dirty plays with clear intent to injure. Perry and Kesler are assholed but not to that degree, still hated throughout the league.

Both of those guys earned all their hate. Perry is right there with Marchand when it comes to doing really trashy stuff between whistles when the refs are engaged in other matters. Things like sticking guys in the ribs and other such garbage.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Both of those guys earned all their hate. Perry is right there with Marchand when it comes to doing really trashy stuff between whistles when the refs are engaged in other matters. Things like sticking guys in the ribs and other such garbage.

You're kinda making my point, he's playing at the limit every shift but he's not a guy that'll go out deliberately injuring other guys for the most part.

I guess he deserves the hate, but damn that stuff goes on every game and he's singled out because he's so good at doing his job within the guidelines of the game.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Was it Brett Hull that told him to sit down one time when he was trash talking Joe Sakic?

Yep, he was running his stupid mouth, and Brett grabbed him by the jersey and forced him to sit, and said you don't say another word about Sakic, because he has earned that respect. This was during the heated rivalry between the Avs and Wings and Hull still told him to shut up!

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
You're making my point, he's playing at the limit every shift but he's not a guy that'll go out deliberately injuring othet guys for the most part.

Actually we are telling you he earned his hate. This is about guys who didn't earn it, and Perry has more than earned his. Perry crossed the limit many many times.

From a Wings perspective and getting hate from our fans, it is Brendan Smith. Smith didn't turn out like we hoped (hope was a true #1) and while he wasn't great, he also wasn't terrible, but he got shit on constantly on the Wings forum.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Hated by his own fanbase or hated by opposing fanbases?

Toronto’s hate of Daniel Alfredsson was a bit much.

The only thing that ever bothered me about Alfredsson was his combo of bad hair cut and stupid facial hair. He always looked like a gross wet dog. As a player he didn't really do anything to earn hate other than being on a rival if you are a Leafs fan. Now TO has the lead in terrible facial hair (cough Matthews cough)!

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Actually we are telling you he earned his hate. This is about guys who didn't earn it, and Perry has more than earned his. Perry crossed the limit many many times.

From a Wings perspective and getting hate from our fans, it is Brendan Smith. Smith didn't turn out like we hoped (hope was a true #1) and while he wasn't great, he also wasn't terrible, but he got shit on constantly on the Wings forum.

Fair enough, for me I really don't hate these players. They play on the line and are entertaining to watch. They don't try to injure guys out there, it's subtle little things that rub most people the wrong way. For me that doesn't make me hate the player, I don't think they deserve to be hated to play the game like they do, it's efficient hence why people dislike it.

On the other hand guys like Gudas, Torres, Cooke, Marchand totally deserve the hate IMO.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
You're kinda making my point, he's playing at the limit every shift but he's not a guy that'll go out deliberately injuring other guys for the most part.

I guess he deserves the hate, but damn that stuff goes on every game and he's singled out because he's so good at doing his job within the guidelines of the game.
If you have to say he doesn’t go out and deliberately injure people “for the most part” then he deserves the hate.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
If you have to say he doesn’t go out and deliberately injure people “for the most part” then he deserves the hate.

Disagree, they actually don't but I said it that way because anyone could pull out a clip from almost any player and argue that there was intent to injure. Even Crosby and Draisaitl don't try to injure for the most part.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad