Who is the most over-hated player?

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
so you dont like his politics and thus hes a bad person? guess you must hate half of america huh

(note im not a republican, far from it actually)

That's not what I'm saying. Did you see what sources I provided from past incidents? He's got a history of being a knob. I say he's still the same kind of person, just clearly more closeted about it.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
To be fair, he is a very different person now. Many of us have heard stories about the kind of person he was when he played, and we all saw what he was like on the ice. One of my all time favourites, but there were a lot of reasons a person could dislike him back then.
He talked about the whys on tout le monde en parle, a french talk show, told something about the proven abuser that is Marcel Aubut harrassing Lindros' mother. He keeps repeating he would've never played for such a disgraceful owner. Had nothing to do with politics, unfortunately, the media here derailed the whole thing.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
As a Wings fan, this is someone I had a seething hate for when he played, but for me it's far and away Scott Stevens.

The revisionist history on him here is ridiculous, I'm guessing by people who never saw him play. They look at a video of his top 10 biggest hits and think he was running guys all game every game. And even in his top 10 hits, all of them are legal by todays rules except the Lindros and Kariya hit and maybe one other.

He was tough as nails, a devastating hitter though he was more of an offensive D-man early in his carer during his time with the Capitals. And in spite of what Domi said, he fought plenty of times and backed up his hits. He just wasn't stupid enough to take himself off the ice for 5 minutes because Domi was bent out of shape about a clean hit.

Honorable mention to Subban, Doughty and Toews.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
"Ended" shouldn't be taken literally here. Let's say he ended their careers as being (among) the best forwards in the league.

There are two chapters in the career of Eric Lindros, there's before the Stevens hit and after the Stevens hit.
Except he didn't do that either. Both players were just fine after their respective hits and both continued to produce at close to the same point they were before the hits. Their problems were injuries and concussions suffered at the hands of other people

GOilers88

Upside Down Canadian Flag
Dec 24, 2016
The reason why Toews gets a lot of hate is because of his fans claiming that he is the best player in the game. Or that he is better than some of the greats that played before him. Toews is a great player, but not the best and not as good as some have claimed. And when people make outrageous statements, other people are going to jump all over that. Blame his fans on all the hate he gets. (O.K. blame his fans for MOST of the hate he gets. There might be someone out there that hates him just to hate him.)
Never seen anyone claim anything remotely close to Toews being the best player in the game.

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016
Except he didn't do that either. Both players were just fine after their respective hits and both continued to produce at close to the same point they were before the hits. Their problems were injuries and concussions suffered at the hands of other people

upload_2020-3-23_20-58-46.png

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
You're right dude, Kariya was so effected by the hit that two years later, he put up 85 pts. His best season point wise since 99-00. He was still so effected by it, that next season he put 76 pts. Season after that he put up 65. He had better seasons AFTER the hit than he did the few years before. He didn't slow down point wise until he destroyed his hip while playing for St. Louis and even then he was over a ppg. In December of 2009, he got another concussion from Kaleta which slowed him down tremendously.

Lindros didn't play in 2000-01 but came back the following year and was, wait for it, a PPG player. The next season he struggled as did the whole Rangers team. 03-04, he only played 39 games due to another concussion and put up 32 pts. 05-06 he played 33 games due to a ligament tear in his wrist. Put up 22 pts. The next season, his last he only played 49 games because he just wasn't an effective player anymore.

Both of these guys were fine after the hits and their play didn't suffer until a few years later from other injuries and concussions but yeah, continue on with Stevens "ended" their careers

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
Sean Avery. He never really crossed the line when it came to injuring an opponent and is yet viewed in the same way like Matt Cooke.

I have to agree here. Not a likeable player by any means. Played the aggravating pest welland did the embellishing thing every now and then, but not once have I seen him trying to injure an opponent.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
Never seen anyone claim anything remotely close to Toews being the best player in the game.

I guess you wasn't on this site during Chicago's cup runs. There WAS a couple of threads about Jonathan Toews. And yes, some posters were trying to say that he was the best player in the game, especially with his intangibles. Sorry you missed it, but that's what happened.

alphabetical

May 8, 2013
He is overvalued by the fanbase. Other fans don't hate him. They are tired of hearing about the intangibles that earned him his current contract. It's a lack of respect, not hatred

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016
You're right dude, Kariya was so effected by the hit that two years later, he put up 85 pts. His best season point wise since 99-00. He was still so effected by it, that next season he put 76 pts. Season after that he put up 65. He had better seasons AFTER the hit than he did the few years before. He didn't slow down point wise until he destroyed his hip while playing for St. Louis and even then he was over a ppg. In December of 2009, he got another concussion from Kaleta which slowed him down tremendously.

Lindros didn't play in 2000-01 but came back the following year and was, wait for it, a PPG player. The next season he struggled as did the whole Rangers team. 03-04, he only played 39 games due to another concussion and put up 32 pts. 05-06 he played 33 games due to a ligament tear in his wrist. Put up 22 pts. The next season, his last he only played 49 games because he just wasn't an effective player anymore.

Both of these guys were fine after the hits and their play didn't suffer until a few years later from other injuries and concussions but yeah, continue on with Stevens "ended" their careers

Sums up my point, but you keep bringing the word 'ending', which I corrected to say 'shortened' in this context. He was bred to be the GOAT. As a comparison, imagine McDavid being 'only' ppg for one season and going down drastically from there until he retires in 3 years.

You're clearly a fan of his, and as the thread says, I hate the player. Let's cheer on it.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
My personal most hated player is Mr. Turtle himself, Claude Lemieux.

H.M - Barret Jackman, Corey Perry, and Adam Foote

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I think Crosby has always been overhated. I've never loved him but respect him very much as a player. I can say between my life and here he's gotten the most underserved hate.

Claude Lemeiux has always been the most deserved hate to me, nod to Dale Hunter.

Dark horse for not hated enough is Messier. Dirtiest star level player I've ever seen by a country mile. Shouldve been suspended multiple times for elbows and head shots even back then.

Reactions: Oneiro

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->