Who is the most over-hated player?

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
Sums up my point, but you keep bringing the word 'ending', which I corrected to say 'shortened' in this context. He was bred to be the GOAT. As a comparison, imagine McDavid being 'only' ppg for one season and going down drastically from there until he retires in 3 years.

You're clearly a fan of his, and as the thread says, I hate the player. Let's cheer on it.
Sums up your point? The Stevens hit had absolutely nothing to do with Lindros career going downhill after it. That hit didn't cause the later concussion and wrist injury that effectively ended his career.

Imagine McDavid being in his 30s after having an injury plagued career, getting a concussion, missing a year, coming back as his usual self then suffering OTHER injuries that caused his career to be shortened and it would be the same situation. The concussion caused by Stevens had ZERO to do with how his career went afterwards considering he suffered another concussion two years later followed up by a wrist injury that ended his career.

Not necessarily a fan of his, just get tired of seeing the same old argument that he ended careers with cheap shots. You're letting your hate for him override that Lindros career ended because of other injuries that had nothing to do with Stevens. Power forwards for the most part tend to burn out earlier than other players and he's a classic example of that because of the way he played.

Reactions: Voight

scott clam

Sep 12, 2018
Only time I ever see him mentioned by Leaf fans is when they are playing the Pens. Pens are the furthest thing from being on the minds of Leaf fans. Honestly the answer is someone from another Canadian team.

Alfredsson, Draisatl, Sedins, etc.
Leafs fans hate Crosby because he always make them look bad. They don't hate him as much as Philly fans, but there's actually a surprisingly large amount of Flyer fans in Southern Ontario.

Red Wing fans and Hab fans aren't so hot on him either.

And then there's the Bruin fans here....

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Leafs fans hate Crosby because he always make them look bad. They don't hate him as much as Philly fans, but there's actually a surprisingly large amount of Flyer fans in Southern Ontario.

1. There is a large list of players who have made the Leafs look bad. If anything, Ovi has made them look worse.

2. Leaf fans are not contained to the GTA, so this point makes no sense. Why would Leaf fans care what another fanbase thinks of someone just because they live close? If this were the case, Ottawa fans would have hate for Crosby too lol.

scott clam

Sep 12, 2018
1. There is a large list of players who have made the Leafs look bad. If anything, Ovi has made them look worse.

2. Leaf fans are not contained to the GTA, so this point makes no sense. Why would Leaf fans care what another fanbase thinks of someone just because they live close? If this were the case, Ottawa fans would have hate for Crosby too lol.
What area do you live, may I ask?

Because where I live(just outside of the GTA) there is a lot of Crosby haters. Or at least there was.

Leaf fans may have more of a reason to hate OV, but they don't. OV is generally more likeable.

Crosby is much more polarizing: he has the best selling jersey, but ppl still call him "crysby" and a "diver", even though he doesn't dive anymore. At least not nearly as bad as when he was younger.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
I thought Mr. Turtle is Brad Marchand? No?
It's probably happened at some point, but I cannot recall a single instance of anyone dribbling a limp Marchand around the rink because he wouldn't fight. He did refuse to throw down against Eller last season, but that was just funny - imagining Eller training, dead eyed in the barn, all Youngblood style in anticipation of the rematch against Marchand, only to have Marchand laugh at him.

Fans can call him whatever. He earned it with that shot on Marcus Johansson. But a little fella racking up 11 fights in his career with the closest opponent size-wise being Ehlers, doesn't speak to being coward like Lemeiux.

PK Subban in his prime. The hate was ridiculous.

It kinda was. He was great villain for Bruins fans, but I'm not sure why everyone else ripped on him. He was sneaky dirty and shied away from knuckles when the other guy was bigger/meaner, but you could say that about 100 different guys in the league. His massive personality invited naysayers, but his equally massive talent should have invited respect as well.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility

Because where I live(just outside of the GTA) there is a lot of Crosby haters. Or at least there was.

Leaf fans may have more of a reason to hate OV, but they don't. OV is generally more likeable.

Crosby is much more polarizing: he has the best selling jersey, but ppl still call him "crysby" and a "diver", even though he doesn't dive anymore. At least not nearly as bad as when he was younger.

I'm just saying that in my experience this is very far down on the list of Leaf fans. Seems more of an attempt to be a victim on someone's behalf and you just picked a group you thought people wouldn't question. But Leaf fans really don't give a crap about most teams in the league, it's the other way around.

scott clam

Sep 12, 2018
I'm just saying that in my experience this is very far down on the list of Leaf fans. Seems more of an attempt to be a victim on someone's behalf and you just picked a group you thought people wouldn't question. But Leaf fans really don't give a crap about most teams in the league, it's the other way around.
That's a very a harsh judgement. Very edgy.

Y'know when I say here in "Leafland" I'm not just talking about Leaf fans right?

I'm talking about GTA and surrounding area, ie the part of the country where I live. I can't really talk about anywhere else. Not all the knucklehead anti-Crosby people here are Leaf fans, but a lot of them are. Most of them are Don Cherry fans though.

Last edited:

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Sidney Crosby.

He get's alot of hate for no reason or for things that happens 10+ years ago. He's generally a clean, well rounded player. Not even remotely aggressive, and one of the best captians in the league. One of the classiest and most professional athletes in the world. Good role model. Literally nothing bad you can say about him unless you're stuck in 2008 and call him a "whiner".

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Sidney Crosby.

He get's alot of hate for no reason or for things that happens 10+ years ago. He's generally a clean, well rounded player. Not even remotely aggressive, and one of the best captians in the league. One of the classiest and most professional athletes in the world. Good role model. Literally nothing bad you can say about him unless you're stuck in 2008 and call him a "whiner".

Do people still call him a whiner?

Not 'calling you out' or anything. Just genuinely curious as I haven't come across it in years.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Only time I ever see him mentioned by Leaf fans is when they are playing the Pens. Pens are the furthest thing from being on the minds of Leaf fans. Honestly the answer is someone from another Canadian team.

Alfredsson, Draisatl, Sedins, etc.
I’m with you. Crosby is a bizarre answer, at best

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On

I've not seen any Crosby hate in Toronto, Sarnia or Peterborough. If anything he's golden goal guy.

He and Malkin have feasted on us but we don't see them enough for it to really sting. I can assure you most Leaf fans are focused on hating Boston currently. I don't recall the Pens and their crew ever eclipsing Boston, Montreal, Buffalo or Ottawa. You could always try a poll I suppose.

Might be our age groups though?

scott clam

Sep 12, 2018
I've not seen any Crosby hate in Toronto, Sarnia or Peterborough. If anything he's golden goal guy.

He and Malkin have feasted on us but we don't see them enough for it to really sting. I can assure you most Leaf fans are focused on hating Boston currently. I don't recall the Pens and their crew ever eclipsing Boston, Montreal, Buffalo or Ottawa. You could always try a poll I suppose.

Might be our age groups though?
Yeah, but Boston deserves the hate. Or rather, they've earned it.

Reactions: BlueBaron

scott clam

Sep 12, 2018
Sums up your point? The Stevens hit had absolutely nothing to do with Lindros career going downhill after it. That hit didn't cause the later concussion and wrist injury that effectively ended his career.

Imagine McDavid being in his 30s after having an injury plagued career, getting a concussion, missing a year, coming back as his usual self then suffering OTHER injuries that caused his career to be shortened and it would be the same situation. The concussion caused by Stevens had ZERO to do with how his career went afterwards considering he suffered another concussion two years later followed up by a wrist injury that ended his career.

Not necessarily a fan of his, just get tired of seeing the same old argument that he ended careers with cheap shots. You're letting your hate for him override that Lindros career ended because of other injuries that had nothing to do with Stevens. Power forwards for the most part tend to burn out earlier than other players and he's a classic example of that because of the way he played.
The more concussions you have, the more susceptible you are to further concussions. Lindros missed a year after the Stevens hit, and was never the same. Even though he scored at a PpG clip in his first season with the Rangers, he was still a far cry from the dominant player he was in Philly.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
Ottawa fans have an unreasonable hatred of Drew Doughty because he won a Norris trophy over Erik Karlsson. I thought Doughty deserved the award but apparently that's because I don't know what I'm talking about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->