Who is the most over-hated player?

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Brandon Sutter seems to be disliked by mostly everyone, and to my knowledge he's never really done anything to deserve it.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
The Tkachuk brothers. Hating them gives them more power as the villains.

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019
Subban. I remmeber during his OHL days especially he was booed automatically when he touched the puck in every away arena.

Don't know if I can think of any other payer who would donate $10,000,000 to a hospital out of nowhere, by the way.

Reactions: pi314

DiglettDangles

Feb 15, 2020
Montreal
Despite his obvious hockey player qualities, hopefully we can all agree that Brad Marchand cannot reach a point where he is sufficiently hated.

Greg Schuler

Apr 3, 2012
You always see a bunch of threads for "most overrated", "most underrated" etc. but who is the most over-hated player in the league (or on your favourite team)?

A guy like Brad Marchand is hated... but he does a lot of shitty things that kinda earn that hate.

So, who is a guy that gets a lot of hate or is often scapegoated for losses that doesn't really deserve it?

Example (and inspiration for the thread): Brett Howden. Rangers fans (myself included) love trashing the guy, but he's still really young and figuring the game out.

I mean, not beat a dead horse, but..

(NSFW, of course)

(NSFW, of course)

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
Of course the obvious answer is Auston Matthews. Many on HF hate him not because of what he does or how he plays but because of who he represents.

Subban is another guy who does not get a fair shake.

Wake up? People hate them because the league force-feed's them down everyone's throat 24/7 even when they don't deserve it. It's the same with Crosby. Nobody hates Malkin because the league with Pierre McGuire are not forcing him to every little thing.

For example, sending Subban to the All-Star weekend even when he wasn't selected as a players was just completely useless, rubbing it in.

Subban is not entertaining at all, and still the league keeps on force-feeding him in the hopes that some minorities start to like the league more.

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
PK Subban. Yes hes probably overpaid and overhyped but for the life of me I cant understand the amount of trash talk that man gets. He has a personality and people cant seem to stand him for it. I think if any NHL player had half the charisma as ANY NBA or NFL player fans might explode.

See my previous answer to the question

Subban is not hated enough. He deserves every single thing he gets.

Reactions: cowboy82nd

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Wasn't there just a US research group that found out you could fabricate the virus by mixing bat viruses with SARS etc - and that the virus was probably man-made?

No, that's been factually debunked by a group of researchers led by Michael Osterholm. Have a look at Joe Rogan's podcast with him, and I promise Joe speaks minimally in this. Michael is actually very interesting and the insight he gave on this was nice to see.

Although I haven't heard of what you mentioned.

Last edited:

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Wilson and Marchand. Any team would kill to have them and some of the things they do are what makes them effective. Making themselves hated and being known for little dirty things and crossing lines makes it so opponents hate them more, which makes it easier for them to get under their skin.

Reactions: Kaner9

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
People love to speak of Tom Wilson like he's a 6'4 Matt Cooke, which is anything but true. He's a physical player who had a couple of collisions when he was a bit careless and underestimated his power, but overall Willy is a great and respectful player.
“underestimated his power”... lmaoo. Whatever helps you sleep better at night brother.

Kaner9

Nov 10, 2019
NJ
Wilson and Marchand. Any team would kill to have them and some of the things they do are what makes them effective. Making themselves hated and being known for little dirty things and crossing lines makes it so opponents hate them more, which makes it easier for them to get under their skin.

100% sometimes you gotta respect players that are effective because they drive everybody nuts.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Scott Stevens for sure, he was one the greatest leaders of all time and i'm not even just talking about Hockey, this guy could lead a team into armed combat and come out on top.

He was only suspended two times for a total four games his entire career, even Mcdavid is half way there and many players with clean reps have been suspended much more then 4 games..

Just listened to a Tie Domi interview and he roasted Scott Stevens, said he was the biggest fraud he ever played against. Said Stevens was always running other team's star players and never answered the bell.

Obviously a great d man and big hitter, but Domi questions his character. And don't compare suspensions then and now because they barely suspended anybody back when Stevens was concussing Kariya and Lindros.

Reactions: Bartcal

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Marchy and Lucic. Even as a Pens fan, I’ve always loved those two. Moreso when Lucic wasn’t an expensive boat anchor, so the newer hate on him about that side of things is justified.

agreed on Looch, Marchand deserves the hate though. It might be magnified because he’s so damned good, but somethin like the flying elbow on Johansson- so dirty, so unnecessary, it’s up there with anything Cooke ever pulled. Looch.. he ran Miller that one time, but I don’t think he meant to concuss him, I think Looch was just playing his game. And that’s the only really “dirty” play from him I can recall, a borderline race to the puck where he ran over the goalie. Like- I still don’t like that play, but given his style and what he had to/has to do to stay in the league he really hasn’t gotten into too much trouble. The sucker punch this year was somethin, but he’s just desperate to matter at this point- I think he’s more a dinosaur than he is just a bad dude.

Reactions: Trade

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
PhysicalTautHarlequinbug-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Ginger Papa

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
Scott Stevens for sure, he was one the greatest leaders of all time and i'm not even just talking about Hockey, this guy could lead a team into armed combat and come out on top.

He was only suspended two times for a total four games his entire career, even Mcdavid is half way there and many players with clean reps have been suspended much more then 4 games..

That doesn’t mean that he was a clean player. Loved his intensity but a lot of his hits were dirty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad