Who is the most over-hated player?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Biggest head down player,in junior kids would just bounce off him...In the NHL not so much

Thats exactly what his problem was. Growing up he was always the biggest guy on the ice and could play with his head down as nobody could actually knock him down, however he failed to adjust when he got to the NHL.

Reactions: topshelf15

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Thats exactly what his problem was. Growing up he was always the biggest guy on the ice and could play with his head down as nobody could actually knock him down, however he failed to adjust when he got to the NHL.
Yep ,watched him a few times in Ottawa.years back...And watched him beat up and physically intimidate everyone on the ice..But that one flaw and him wanting to be forever the bully ,is what got him...Guess he forgot the rule ,that there is always someone tougher

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016
Whose career did he end with a cheap shot and don't say Willis because he didn't end Willis's career.

Let's start by two gifted players whose careers were ended or drastically shortened by scum Stevens: Eric Lindros and Paul Kariya.

Remember?

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
Let's start by two gifted players whose careers were ended or drastically shortened by scum Stevens: Eric Lindros and Paul Kariya.

Remember?
Uuuuhhhh neither of them had their careers ended or shortened by Stevens.

Lindros suffered his eighth concussion a few years later and then tore a ligament in his wrist which effectively ended his career.

Kariya played another six seasons and had his career ended by a Patrick Kaleta elbow to the head.

Both played into their mid 30s and their careers ended from injuries that happened long after the Stevens hits

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Mat Cooke is over hated. Canucks fans loved that he was hated when he was on our team but strangely enough through him under the bus after he was gone. The hate against them was over the top.

Every team has 30 other teams that either could care less or hate them - and a disproportionate of these are original 6 teams. When a player loses the safety of his home market its fair game. Messier leaving the Rangers was a big mistake for him in this sense as he lost his favored markets in Edmonton and New York for a (formerly) hostile one. Ownership and management believing in him (and previous others not) aside.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Hated by his own fanbase or hated by opposing fanbases?

Toronto’s hate of Daniel Alfredsson was a bit much.

Nah, The Tucker hit. I would hate him too, the fact he scored and won the game seconds after would drive me nuts if I was a leaf fan.

Reactions: IlikeEich

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Nah, The Tucker hit. I would hate him too, the fact he scored and won the game seconds after would drive me nuts if I was a leaf fan.

Oh, I would have been furious about that too. I was referring more to stick toss gate. I mean, really, get over it.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Scott Stevens for sure, he was one the greatest leaders of all time and i'm not even just talking about Hockey, this guy could lead a team into armed combat and come out on top.

He was only suspended two times for a total four games his entire career, even Mcdavid is half way there and many players with clean reps have been suspended much more then 4 games..

To be fair, he played during a time when ruining a guys life was considered a strong hockey play.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
I took a friend to a Thrasher Canadians game and I was talking up P.K. Telling my friend that he's a great defense men that has some moxie to his game. Well, when I watch a game live, I don't follow the puck. I pick a player and watch their whole time on the ice, and then watch someone else when their shift ends. Well, during this time, I would constantly see P.K. take cheap shots on players behind the play. He would hack guys on the wrists, spear them with his stick and even slew footed someone behind the play. I was embarrassed at the shit he was pulling. I was a fan of his, but not anymore.
I can't find it but I remember him doing the slew foot thing to Lecavalier, in front of the Habs net, more than once. Lecavalier once commented when asked by reporters, said it was a dangerous move to injure players. He was right.

Last edited:
Reactions: weinsink

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Lindros was a total prick as a young player. I met him at the 1993 nhl awards show (I was staying in the hotel adjacent to where the award show was being held, Winston Harbour castle I believe) and he couldn't be bothered to even acknowledge me /anyone. Conversely Jeremy Roenick was an absolute Prince and took me around to meet the players get /autographs for nearly an hour. He also openly accused lindros of "big timing me" and embarrassed him enough to look up from the blonde who he was with cleavage, to scribble something resembling a signature. Roenick is certainly a loud mouth today and very polarizing individual but I'll never forget what he did for me as a 11 year old. As such, I'm nominating Roenick for undeserved /over hate. Hell of a player who played clean and hard, but obviously w personality. He's been my favorite player ever since, and I'm a die hard Leaf fan, so that should give you an idea of the impact

Last edited:

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Lindros was a total prick as a young player. I met him at the 1993 nhl awards show (I was staying in the hotel adjacent to where the award show was being held, Winston Harbour castle I believe) and he couldn't be bothered to even acknowledge me /anyone. Conversely Jeremy Roenick was an absolute Prince and took me around to meet the players get /autographs for nearly an hour. He also openly accused lindros of "big timing me" and embarrassed him enough to look up from the blonde who he was with cleavage to scribble something resembling a signature. Roenick is certainly a loud mouth today and very polarizing individual but I'll never forget what he did for me as a 11 year old. As such, I'm nominating Roenick for undeserved /over hate. Hell of a player who played clean and hard, but obviously w personality. He's been my favorite player ever since, and I'm a die hard Leaf fan, so that should give you an idea of the impact

That entire Mem Cup winning team, are jerks and hated in Oshawa.
88 grew up after his retirement.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Austen Matthews from the Maple Leafs.

The tripe that is spewed towards him and the straight up lies from many posters about his game is a direct result of the team he plays for.

He is hated because of the team he plays for and the jealousy of him is puerile.

QFT.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Never got the Toews hate.

Sure, maybe he wasn't worth an inclusion in The Top 100 list but that was the NHLs call, not his. Was he supposed to say no? Nobody in their right mind would.

Does he make more than he should? Sure, but he was rightfully rewarded for being among the best two-way players in the league, being a a top 3 guy on three cup winning teams (also captain) and for helping rejuvenate the franchise.

Aside from that, hes been a core member of many Team Canada championship teams and was the teams best player in 2010 when they won on home ice.

People act as if he killed a baby and got away with it.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Tom Wilson is utterly over-hated. I can't remember one instance where he actually did something cheap or dirty. He's hated
because he is huge and skilled and actually a damn good player who pulverizes the opposition with great hits. Other teams fans
are just envious of him.

Reactions: Voight

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Lot os opinions disguised as fact, here.

Howe was not universally hated. He was universally respected. He was not the only guy in the league who was tough. Guys like Kurtenbach and Harris would stand up to him all day long.

“He’s always at the outer edge of the rulebook,” Eric Nesterenko told Gzowski. “You never know when he’s going to slip over into what’s dirty.”

Howe’s longtime linemate concurred. “Gordie gets away with more than anyone else in hockey,” said Ted Lindsay.

Andy Bathgate of the New York Ranger indicted Howe for “deliberately inflicting head cuts, of deliberately cauliflowering at least one ear, and of deliberately raising the puck at other people’s heads.”

Also, keep in mind that they named the MVP award as chosen by fellow players after Ted Lindsey and not Gordie Howe for a reason: he screwed over the Red Wing's first attempt to unionize. Those players disappeared after that and Gordie found himself on the ice with a bunch of newbies.

kszKWxpd_Gq-IIpfF_ASX3QVHQmhF_ie5t38ViSNcbw.jpg

Reactions: Fixxer

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
Never got the Toews hate.

Sure, maybe he wasn't worth an inclusion in The Top 100 list but that was the NHLs call, not his. Was he supposed to say no? Nobody in their right mind would.

Does he make more than he should? Sure, but he was rightfully rewarded for being among the best two-way players in the league, being a a top 3 guy on three cup winning teams (also captain) and for helping rejuvenate the franchise.

Aside from that, hes been a core member of many Team Canada championship teams and was the teams best player in 2010 when they won on home ice.

People act as if he killed a baby and got away with it.

The reason why Toews gets a lot of hate is because of his fans claiming that he is the best player in the game. Or that he is better than some of the greats that played before him. Toews is a great player, but not the best and not as good as some have claimed. And when people make outrageous statements, other people are going to jump all over that. Blame his fans on all the hate he gets. (O.K. blame his fans for MOST of the hate he gets. There might be someone out there that hates him just to hate him.)

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Tom Wilson is utterly over-hated. I can't remember one instance where he actually did something cheap or dirty. He's hated
because he is huge and skilled and actually a damn good player who pulverizes the opposition with great hits. Other teams fans
are just envious of him.

As I said before in this thread, guys like him and Tkachuk are hated because they play for another team. Anyone would want guys like that on their team, they are very good at what they do.

The reason why Toews gets a lot of hate is because of his fans claiming that he is the best player in the game. Or that he is better than some of the greats that played before him. Toews is a great player, but not the best and not as good as some have claimed. And when people make outrageous statements, other people are going to jump all over that. Blame his fans on all the hate he gets. (O.K. blame his fans for MOST of the hate he gets. There might be someone out there that hates him just to hate him.)

I am a Blackhawks fan and never once thought that. At his peak he was certainly in the upper echelon of players and honestly I don't recall any fellow Hawks fans claiming he was better than HHOF'ers or better than Ovy/Sid/Kane etc. TSN once named him the best in the game but nobody should take their lists seriously.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
As I said before in this thread, guys like him and Tkachuk are hated because they play for another team. Anyone would want guys like that on their team, they are very good at what they do.

I am a Blackhawks fan and never once thought that. At his peak he was certainly in the upper echelon of players and honestly I don't recall any fellow Hawks fans claiming he was better than HHOF'ers or better than Ovy/Sid/Kane etc. TSN once named him the best in the game but nobody should take their lists seriously.

You must be new to HFBoards or didn't get on much when the debate about Toews happened (actually, more than once). And yes, Hawk fans were claiming that Toews was better than Ovy, Sid and especially Kane. Toews and his intangibles was and is the best player on the planet. Didn't buy it then and I'm not buying it now. Great player but nowhere near what SOME Hawk fans put him.

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016
Uuuuhhhh neither of them had their careers ended or shortened by Stevens.

Lindros suffered his eighth concussion a few years later and then tore a ligament in his wrist which effectively ended his career.

Kariya played another six seasons and had his career ended by a Patrick Kaleta elbow to the head.

Both played into their mid 30s and their careers ended from injuries that happened long after the Stevens hits

"Ended" shouldn't be taken literally here. Let's say he ended their careers as being (among) the best forwards in the league.

There are two chapters in the career of Eric Lindros, there's before the Stevens hit and after the Stevens hit.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Follow his Twitter account. He's been caught with poor-tasted tweets and likes over the past and half of his content is right-winged political still to this day. That's not to say he can't be political, but the people he's supporting are, well, whatever you want to call them..... Liking Trump's tweet that says "Chinese Virus" is just one example.

Like I said, it's still part of him. The past is written and he's clearly more closeted about it now so he doesn't get blasted out of the league. I personally put two and two together. Again, maybe I should have a conversation with TD and see what he really thinks. Maybe he surprises me.
so you dont like his politics and thus hes a bad person? guess you must hate half of america huh

(note im not a republican, far from it actually)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad