• Kane

• Kucherov

• Draisaitl

• Wheeler

• other (who?)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
By who's definition? Are there any "primary" stats other than goals in your mind? Most people would consider assists of any kind a primary stat.

If I’m being unclear, breaking down assists into primary and secondary assists is an advanced statistic.

barrsdow

Jul 3, 2017
MacKinnon is much better than Tavares. Marner is the best player on his line, Rantanen is not.

Before this season no one would argue that Marner is better than Tavares a #1 franchise center. So after 28 games, you're willing to call Marner better than Tavares a guy who has scored 80+ points 3 times in his career. It honestly just shows the absurd lengths you'll go to, to make a point.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Before this season no one would argue that Marner is better than Tavares a #1 franchise center. So after 28 games, you're willing to call Marner better than Tavares a guy who has scored 80+ points 3 times in his career. It honestly just shows the absurd lengths you'll go to, to make a point.

I've watched every single Leafs game this season. He has been the better player. He's 21 and Tavares is 28. And for the record before the season I posted on here predicting Marner to have more points than Tavares, but what I didn't expect was that he would also be the better defensive player.

sessiroth

Jan 21, 2010
Toronto Ont.
lol how many of those Marner votes are by Leafs fans? He's having a great season but he is not yet above the likes of Kane, Kucherov, Giroux, Wheeler, Gaudreau.

And if we were just playing the recency bias game, it would be Rantanen.
Leads the League this year by a wide margin in primary assists. Which is what palymaking is afterall. U can keep underrating him tho

barrsdow

Jul 3, 2017
I've watched every single Leafs game this season. He has been the better player. He's 21 and Tavares is 28. And for the record before the season I posted on here predicting Marner to have more points than Tavares, but what I didn't expect was that he would also be the better defensive player.

We are not talking about the player whos having the best season, we're talking about the best player. No one would argue that Rantanen is a better player than Crosby right! Why? Because it would be crazy to forget about all his past achievements and take him for this 28g season alone.

barrsdow

Jul 3, 2017
Leads the League this year by a wide margin in primary assists. Which is what palymaking is afterall. U can keep underrating him tho

You're right! I keep telling these guys the question was, "which playmaker is having the best season?". They all think we're talking about the players whole body of work, bunch of goofs! Keep underrating the magician we'll see what happens.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
We are not talking about the player whos having the best season, we're talking about the best player. No one would argue that Rantanen is a better player than Crosby right! Why? Because it would be crazy to forget about all his past achievements and take him for this 28g season alone.

I'm literally telling you Marner is and will be the better player. Rantanen is not better than Crosby. Look at Crosby's linemates and how much better he is defensively.

sessiroth

Jan 21, 2010
Toronto Ont.
You're right! I keep telling these guys the question was, "which playmaker is having the best season?". They all think we're talking about the players whole body of work, bunch of goofs! Keep underrating the magician we'll see what happens.
This post has so much salt. Be careful your gonna raise your blood pressure. Marner is considerably younger then the majority of the players listed and only Kane was as effective at the same age. "Body of work" argument when comparing a player still on ELC and dominating to ten year vets is ridiculous. He's better now while younger and your trying to discredit him because he's young? Lmao. Gardiner > Chabot because body of work right?

EDIT: and I love how I posted stats and you chose to be sarcastic. Shows you have no legs to stand on. Keep being salty. ;)

Last edited:

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
MacKinnon is much better than Tavares. Marner is the best player on his line, Rantanen is not.

Rantanen is at least equal with MacKinnon. Marner could have very little advantage at terms of pure playmaking, but Rantanen smokes him at every other area, being superior player.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Went with Wheeler then would be Gaudreau then Marner imo . all great play making wingers .

Reactions: dukeofjive

sessiroth

Jan 21, 2010
Toronto Ont.
But only this season.
Don't count last season cause Marner didn't play with a top 10 centre so that isn't fair to him.
Typical, if you watched even a single leafs game this year you'd know Marne is driving that line not Tavares. Lost a lot of credibility there.

Also other elite players play with elite players to put up points all the time but once a leaf does it it's used as a handicap. What horseshit

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Is there a stat out there that's better to judge someone playmaking ability? Go ahead I'll wait. This should be amusing

Assists.

Marner has 122 since his debut. That’s very impressive.

It’s also 26 less than Blake Wheeler’s 148 in the same time frame.

Typical, if you watched even a single leafs game this year you'd know Marne is driving that line not Tavares. Lost a lot of credibility there.

Also other elite players play with elite players to put up points all the time but once a leaf does it it's used as a handicap. What horse****

Actually, the only argument that Leafs fans even have for Marner over Rantanen is that Rantanen’s center is leagues above Marner’s.

Reactions: dukeofjive

sessiroth

Jan 21, 2010
Toronto Ont.
Assists.

Marner has 122 since his debut. That’s very impressive.

It’s also 26 less than Blake Wheeler’s 148 in the same time frame.

Actually, the only argument that Leafs fans even have for Marner over Rantanen is that Rantanen’s center isnt leagues above Marner’s.

Basic assists relies on another player to make a pass to another player to score. Hence why primary assists are more accurate. If I pass to you and you make an great play and another player scores I get an assist. Not a good depection of playmaking abilities.

Your also wrong on the second point, Marner has more primary assists is the argument to be made. Rantanen passing to landeskog passing to Mackinnion to score isnt playmaking.

I don't know how you can argue assist > primary assist when it comes to creating a play (playmaking)

Last edited:
Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino