• Draisaitl

• Wheeler

• other (who?)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Basic assists relies on another player to make a pass to another player to score. Hence why primary assists are more accurate. If I pass to you and you make an great play and another player scores I get an assist. Not a good depection of playmaking abilities.

Your also wrong on the second point, Marner has more primary assists is the argument to be made. Rantanen passing to landeskog passing to Mackinnion to score isnt playmaking.

I don't know how you can argue assist > primary assist when it comes to creating a play (playmaking)

So what if the guy who got the second assist made a great play to start sequence leading to a goal? Or does that not ever happen in your eyes?

Sometimes the guy who makes a great play that leads to goal doesn't even make it on the stat sheet.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Basic assists relies on another player to make a pass to another player to score. Hence why primary assists are more accurate. If I pass to you and you make an great play and another player scores I get an assist. Not a good depection of playmaking abilities.

Your also wrong on the second point, Marner has more primary assists is the argument to be made. Rantanen passing to landeskog passing to Mackinnion to score isnt playmaking.

I don't know how you can argue assist > primary assist when it comes to creating a play (playmaking)
:huh::laugh::laugh::laugh: this is just beyond stupid at this point. Not too mention some assists get knocked down to unassisted because a goalie or defenseman touches the puck briefly on passes....no playmaking is not just simply getting primary assists its creating time and space for your teammates and great passing. Its basically whoever is generating the most chances for the rest of his teammates.

Last edited:
Reactions: dukeofjive

sessiroth

Jan 21, 2010
Toronto Ont.
:huh::laugh::laugh::laugh: this is just beyond stupid at this point. Not too mention some assists get knocked down to unassisted because a goalie or defenseman touches the puck briefly on passes....no playmaking is not just simply getting primary assists its creating time and space for your teammates and great passing. Its basically whoever is generating the most chances for the rest of his teammates.
Do you have a problem with reading? I said primary assist is the best stat to judge a players playmaking abilities. Another person said no assists in general are which is ridiculous cause you guys are speaking about the one play in a million play that the second assist player created the play to try and discredit primary assists. It's the exception not the norm. Whats more likely to occur, the player who directly made the play that lead to the goal creating the scoring chance or the second last person creating the play? You posted "playmaking is not just simply primary assists" which no one said was in the first place. Everything else in your post is meaningless nonesence that didn't add or give anything to the convo. What's the best stat to display who creates the most scoring chances for your teammates? Im arguing its primary assists and instead of proposing a different state "this is beyond stupid, I can't disprove what you say but I'll post a bunch of nothing to try and sound like I know something I dont" was your reply

sessiroth

Jan 21, 2010
Toronto Ont.
So what if the guy who got the second assist made a great play to start sequence leading to a goal? Or does that not ever happen in your eyes?

Sometimes the guy who makes a great play that leads to goal doesn't even make it on the stat sheet.
That's the exception, not the norm. Try again

EDIT: theres a lot more nothing passes or chips that lead to a goal that player had nothing to do with and the player gets a secondary assists

Last edited:

Panthaz89

Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Do you have a problem with reading? I said primary assist is the best stat to judge a players playmaking abilities. Another person said no assists in general are which is ridiculous cause you guys are speaking about the one play in a million play that the second assist player created the play to try and discredit primary assists. It's the exception not the norm. Whats more likely to occur, the player who directly made the play that lead to the goal creating the scoring chance or the second last person creating the play? You posted "playmaking is not just simply primary assists" which no one said was in the first place. Everything else in your post is meaningless nonesence that didn't add or give anything to the convo. What's the best stat to display who creates the most chances for your teammates? Im arguing its primary assists and instead of proposing a different state "this is beyond stupid, I can't disprove what you say but I'll post a bunch of nothing to try and sound like I know something I dont"
no primary assists are not what we determine who the best playmakers are.....a big saucer down the ice to setup a 2v1 is better than thousands of primary assists that happen all the time. If there was an advanced stat it would be assist/shot stat that see's how many passes led to shots or specifically high danger chances but I'm not the one to look any of those up.

sessiroth

Jan 21, 2010
Toronto Ont.
no primary assists are not what we determine who the best playmakers are.....a big saucer down the ice to setup a 2v1 is better than thousands of primary assists that happen all the time. If there was an advanced stat it would be assist/shot stat that see's how many passes led to shots or specifically high danger chances but I'm not the one to look any of those up.

For every one of those, theres the routine pass that lead to an amazing play 20 seconds later that lead to a goal and the guy getting a secondary assist. How often does a guy get a assist buy doing almost nothing? Happens as often or more so I bet. So what stat can we use that's recorded to see who drives play that's better then primary assists?

Reactions: dirk41

Panthaz89

Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
For every one of those, theres the routine pass that lead to an amazing play 20 seconds later that lead to a goal and the guy getting a secondary assist. How often does a guy get a assist buy doing almost nothing? Happens as often or more so I bet. So what stat can we use that's recorded to see who drives play that's better then primary assists?
without the routine pass the amazing play never happens..therefore the player certainly did something.

Panthaz89

Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Is the routine pass considered playmaking?
yes being able to make passes is certainly part of it.....especially when it leads to a goal which is the point. That doesn't happen if you give the puck away or pass directly into the back of your teammates skates. Assuming you are a playmaker you should be able to make passes at every point in the ice otherwise you aren't credible. A lot of defenseman have "playmaking" abilities....lots of them are big for breakout passes or being a QB at the point whether its on the PP or not.

sessiroth

Jan 21, 2010
Toronto Ont.
yes being able to make passes is certainly part of it.....especially when it leads to a goal which is the point. That doesn't happen if you give the puck away or pass directly into the back of your teammates skates. Assuming you are a playmaker you should be able to make passes at every point in the ice otherwise you aren't credible. A lot of defenseman have "playmaking" abilities....lots of them are big for breakout passes or being a QB at the point whether its on the PP or not.
I'll agree to disagree. I think what you call playmaking I call puck moving. In the example you gave I'd consider that a puck moving defensemen not a playmaking defensemen. To me a playmaker is a player who can create offense when most players couldn't. If that's by seeing the play before it happens or placing the puck in the right spot or waiting out the defender etc, to me it's not the routine pass. Having the ability to create the play not just be a part of it is where I guess I draw the line. This is why I like using primary assists rather then secondary assists. Difference of opinion is welcomed. Thank you for having an actual conversation wihout resorting to childish behavior.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Actually, the only argument that Leafs fans even have for Marner over Rantanen is that Rantanen’s center is leagues above Marner’s.
well, and Rantanen's LWer is miles better. And Rantanen gets way more powerplay time. And Marner still has more primary assists. But Rantanen has more secondaries, so he's the indisputable option somehow

Reactions: authentic

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Too soon to have Rantanen and Marner in the convo for me. Maybe next year though.

In terms of actual playmaking, as in creating a play that leads to a legit scoring chance..
I'll go Pat Kane. I think he's the best at making something out of nothing.

Backcheckmonster3

Aug 19, 2018
No one has a clear advantage in the league at the moment, people will vote for their personal favourite out of 5-6 guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad