• Kucherov

• Draisaitl

• Wheeler

• other (who?)

Results are only viewable after voting.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I went with Marner.

I don't think he's superior to these other great players like Rantanen or Kucherov (they are better goal scorers and probably better overall) but in terms of strictly playmaking I think it's Marner. He leads the league with 24 primary assists. I believe second has 18.

Marner 27
Wheeler 24
Rantanen 23

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
What is all this talk about primary assists? Since when has anyone been that fixated on that particular stat over assist totals?

Is it because Marner happens to lead that advanced stat right now?

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
What is all this talk about primary assists? Since when has anyone been that fixated on that particular stat over assist totals?

Does it bother you that he has the most passes that have directly lead to a goal? It's not like his overall assist totals are lacking.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Not at all. It’s just a weird stat to bring up, which leads me to believe it’s very cherry picked in order to make an argument.

It's not really that weird though. Primary assists are better on average than secondaries. Not by too much but still.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
It's not really that weird though. Primary assists are better on average than secondaries. Not by too much but still.

They may be but wow is it cherry picked. And an assist counts as one point no matter what, none of the primary stats are weighed.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Defense and passing. Skating is too close to call but maybe an edge to Marner there, stickhandling and shooting go to Gaudreau.

Gaudreau’s passing is on par with anyone else in the league. I don’t see anyone being better than him at that. Open to hearing who and how they are better at passing than Gaudreau.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Primary assists are in this year.
Last year it was ES goals per 60 minutes because that favoured Matthews.
The goal posts will just keep moving.
:laugh:

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Primary assists are in this year.
Last year it was ES goals per 60 minutes because that favoured Matthews.
The goal posts will just keep moving.
:laugh:
yeah it's crazy how Leafs fans aren't using ES goals/60 to pump Marner up as the best playmaker here. instead they want to use a stat that indicates how well a player directly sets a teammate up for a goal?

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Assists, otherwise known as points, are weird, advanced and cherry-picked stats?

Yeah....hate.

No... I said a primary assist counts as much as a secondary assist as a goal, because none of them are weighted in point totals. Hence it’s rare to bring up primary assists. Nothing wrong with it but it isn’t the strongest argument to make.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
because secondaries are more random and difficult to control

Let’s be honest here. The only reason we are talking about primary assists is because it favors Marner.

He’s a great player but it’s still far too early to say he’s the best playmaking winger in the league. He’s had a good start for 20+ games, that’s all. There are players with far more pedigree in that list.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Let’s be honest here. The only reason we are talking about primary assists is because it favors Marner.

He’s a great player but it’s still far too early to say he’s the best playmaking winger in the league. He’s had a good start for 20+ games, that’s all. There are players with far more pedigree in that list.
what if people genuinely think that the best playmaker is the guy who sets his linemates up for goals directly?

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Question is, is Marner more fortunate than any other winger to have such an elite high scoring centre?

Same goes for Rantanen.

Gaudreau and Wheeler, not so much. Imagine if they were next to Matthews.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
They may be but wow is it cherry picked. And an assist counts as one point no matter what, none of the primary stats are weighed.

There's a fair number of secondary assists that shouldn't actually be counted as assists. Much less so with primaries.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Question is, is Marner more fortunate than any other winger to have such an elite high scoring centre?

Probably but he's got over a point per game for over 100 games now and Tavares has only been around for a quarter of that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad