Who does LA pick at #35 ?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
One guy who's typically ranked in the 2nd round that I'm interested in is RW Luke Evangelista. Slightly undersized winger but got more ice time as the year went on in London. On paper, he had a respectable 23 goals + 38 assists in 62 games. But impressively, he only had two power play points all season as the older players on London monopolized the PP time. London's had a good track history of developing guys in the past and Evangelista seems like a good bet to see a jump in production when he inherits the PP time from the guys who graduate. Whether or not that leads to NHL potential is another question. The situation reminds me a little bit of Christian Dvorak being buried on a deep London team during his draft year and putting up modest numbers (14 points in 33 games) and then breaking out with 109 points the following season.

It wouldn't address a need for the Kings, but in the second round I think you can ignore need and just draft somebody as an asset then sort things out later.

Last edited:

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
One guy who's typically ranked in the 2nd round that I'm interested in is RW Luke Evangelista. Slightly undersized winger but got more ice time as the year went on in London. On paper, he had a respectable 23 goals + 38 assists in 62 games. But impressively, he only had two power play points all season as the older players on London monopolized the PP time. London's had a good track history of developing guys in the past and Evangelista seems like a good bet to see a jump in production when he inherits the PP time from the guys who graduate. Whether or not that leads to NHL potential is another question. The situation reminds me a little bit of Christian Dvorak being buried on a deep London team during his draft year and putting up modest numbers (14 points in 33 games) and then breaking out with 109 points the following season.

It wouldn't address a need for the Kings, but in the second round I think you can ignore need and just draft somebody as an asset then sort things out later.

I like him too. Not sure I'd take him at #35, but maybe later in the 2nd round if he is still there. Another forward that has some good offensive instincts is Ozzie Weisblatt. He's ranked anywhere from the late 1st to the 3rd round.

RossLonsberryFan

Aug 28, 2019
I used the The Hockey News (THN) Top 120 as a mock draft board. And then I used Steve Kournianos (The Draft Analyst’s Top 300***) to select players still available when the Kings draft and here’s what I came up with for my choices THROUGH THE FIRST 4 ROUNDS.

#02 - Quinton Byfield C (SK#2) (THN#2)
#35 - Lukas Reichel* LW (SK#29) (THN#40)
#43 - Emil Andrae LHD (SK#20) (THN#43)
#55 - Eamon Powell** RHD (SK#38)
#66 - Drew Commesso G (SK#69) (THN#80)
#81 - Veeti Miettinen RW (SK#61) (THN#85)
#97 - Blake Biondi C/RW (SK#58) (THN#97)
#108 - Emil Heineman LW (SK#44) (THN#120)

*According to THN Jacob Perreault (SK#20) was still available at #35 but I selected Reichel for as balanced a draft as possible.

**Was not ranked in THN Top 120 but still chose him at #55 because I wanted as balanced draft for the first 6 picks (i.e. a player for each position).

***Steve Kournianos top 300 does not include overage players (eligible 19 & 20 year olds).

THN’s Top 120
Final 2020 NHL draft rankings: these go to 120 - TheHockeyNews

The Draft Analyst top 300
Final Draft Rankings: The Top 300 - The Draft Analyst

Last edited:

Rekingsfan17

Aug 23, 2017
I used The Hockey News (THN) Top 120 as a mock draft board. And then I used Steve Kournianos (The Draft Analyst’s Top 300***) to select players still available when the Kings draft and here’s what I came up with for my choices THROUGH THE FIRST 4 ROUNDS.

That is a great list. Since we are all bored waiting for the draft I went through the mock you did with the choices available and came up with a couple of different picks;
Perreault at #35 ( as you said he was available and I picked him because of upside), Niemela at #43, Daws at #55, and Sourdiff at #66.

Then I went off my own list and came up with;
Perreault-#35, Simontaival-#43, Robins-#55, Tullio-#66, Miettinen-#81, Khusnutdinov-#97,
and Heineman-#108.

I can't wait to see which players the Kings Draft Guru's decide on come draft day.....

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Ran the draft simulator a couple more times. Ran the lottery several times and got the most NHL results ever, Pens won 3x, Blackhawks 3x, Oilers 3x. Finally settled on Wild and Nashville and Hurricanes, lol. Nashville is interesting because I could see them being more interested in Byfield; I know that sounds too cute but they've been waiting for their 1C forever.

My first one saw some crazy fallers, haha. I simmed one by one thru the first round and I genuinely didn't see an opportunity to package picks to move up. Couldn't pass on Jarvis at 35 obviously, then there was a D-man run before 46.

(2) Quinton Byfield, C
(35) Seth Jarvis, RW
(46) Mavrik Bourque, C
(56) Helge Grans, RD
(66) Jake Neighbours, LW
(80) Ozzy Wiesblatt, RW
(97) Jack Finley, C
(106) Dmitri Ovchinnikov, LW
(128) Tristen Robins, C
(159) Maximilian Glotzl, LD
(190) Jan Bednar, G

Stutzle fell to the Ducks in this one, which made me unreasonably angry.

(2) Quinton Byfield, C
(35) Justin Barron, RD
(46) Jean-Luc Foudy, C
(56) Jake Neighbours, LW
(66) Ozzy Wiesblatt, RW
(80) Michael Benning, RD
(97) Roby Jarventie, LW
(128) Brock Faber, RD
(159) Cross Hanas, LW
(190) Samuel Hlavaj, G

I could do this all day but the last one for postings sake, stopping here haha.

(2) Quinton Byfield, C
(35) Dawson Mercer, RW
(46) William Wallinder, LD
(56) Emil Andrae, LD
(66) Drew Commesso, G
(80) Ozzy Wiesblatt, RW
(97) Jack Finley, C
(128) Tristen Robins, C
(159) Alexander Nikishin, LD
(190) Jan Bednar, G

Turning the randomness up makes all sorts of fun stuff happen.

Anyway, it was an exercise to see what we could get at 35, and the common theme is SOMEONE will fall, like Kaliyev et. al. did last year. It's tough to burn an asset to make a small jump when the picks between 20-40ish are very close, and I don't think it's worth giving up what it would take to get up to ~15ish if someone else drops--but it depends on who the org's "guy" is there--it's do-able! It's probably clear form these exercises who 'my' guy is in each range, haha.

Rekingsfan17

Aug 23, 2017
Ran the draft simulator a couple more times. Ran the lottery several times and got the most NHL results ever, Pens won 3x, Blackhawks 3x, Oilers 3x. Finally settled on Wild and Nashville and Hurricanes, lol. Nashville is interesting because I could see them being more interested in Byfield; I know that sounds too cute but they've been waiting for their 1C forever.

My first one saw some crazy fallers, haha. I simmed one by one thru the first round and I genuinely didn't see an opportunity to package picks to move up. Couldn't pass on Jarvis at 35 obviously, then there was a D-man run before 46.

(2) Quinton Byfield, C
(35) Seth Jarvis, RW
(46) Mavrik Bourque, C
(56) Helge Grans, RD
(66) Jake Neighbours, LW
(80) Ozzy Wiesblatt, RW
(97) Jack Finley, C
(128) Tristen Robins, C
(159) Maximilian Glotzl, LD
(190) Jan Bednar, G

Stutzle fell to the Ducks in this one, which made me unreasonably angry.

(2) Quinton Byfield, C
(35) Justin Barron, RD
(46) Jean-Luc Foudy, C
(56) Jake Neighbours, LW
(66) Ozzy Wiesblatt, RW
(80) Michael Benning, RD
(97) Roby Jarventie, LW
(128) Brock Faber, RD
(159) Cross Hanas, LW
(190) Samuel Hlavaj, G

I could do this all day but the last one for postings sake, stopping here haha.

(2) Quinton Byfield, C
(35) Dawson Mercer, RW
(46) William Wallinder, LD
(56) Emil Andrae, LD
(66) Drew Commesso, G
(80) Ozzy Wiesblatt, RW
(97) Jack Finley, C
(128) Tristen Robins, C
(159) Alexander Nikishin, LD
(190) Jan Bednar, G

Turning the randomness up makes all sorts of fun stuff happen.

Anyway, it was an exercise to see what we could get at 35, and the common theme is SOMEONE will fall like Kaliyev et. al. did last year. It's tough to burn an asset to make a small jump when the picks between 20-40ish are very close, and I don't think it's worth giving up what it would take to get up to ~15ish if someone else drops--but it depends on who the org's "guy" is there--it's do-able! It's probably clear from these exercises who 'my' guy is in each range, haha.

I really like your first list. Jack Finley and Maximilian Glotzl really intrigue me. I hope they are on the King's radar. I also really like Victor Mancini and Jake Ratzlaff.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I really like your first list. Jack Finley and Maximilian Glotzl really intrigue me. I hope they are on the King's radar. I also really like Victor Mancini and Jake Ratzlaff.

The first one is just absurdly fortunate. I can't imagine it playing out like that. And I chalk it up to paying more attention to the draft this year but I really felt pretty good about what was available vs. value at any given position. I know some of those picks probably SHOULD move since we're just straight up out of room, but this stands to look like last year's haul for us.

Reactions: Rekingsfan17

RossLonsberryFan

Aug 28, 2019
Here is a similar exercise using Bob McKenzie’s Top 100:

#02 - Quinton Byfield C (SK#2) (BM#3)
#35 - Ryan O’Rourke LHD (SK#42) (BM#37)
#43 - Emil Andrae LHD (SK#20) (BM#70)
#55 - Eamon Powell RHD (SK#38) (BM#70)
#66 - Emil Heineman LW (SK#44) (BM#69)
#81 - Drew Commesso**** G (SK#69) (BM#87)
#97 - Veeti Miettinen RW (SK#61) (BM#NR)

**** Should the Kings forego a goalie in the 3rd round Biondi would be available
#81 - Blake Biondi C/RW (SK#58) (BM#93)

Bob McKenzie’s Final Draft Rankings:
Bob McKenzie's Final Ranking: Lafreniere the surest thing in most uncertain draft year - TSN.ca

RossLonsberryFan

Aug 28, 2019
That is a great list. Since we are all bored waiting for the draft I went through the mock you did with the choices available and came up with a couple of different picks;
Perreault at #35 ( as you said he was available and I picked him because of upside), Niemela at #43, Daws at #55, and Sourdiff at #66.

Then I went off my own list and came up with;
Perreault-#35, Simontaival-#43, Robins-#55, Tullio-#66, Miettinen-#81, Khusnutdinov-#97,
and Heineman-#108.

I can't wait to see which players the Kings Draft Guru's decide on come draft day.....

I decided to target Commesso instead of Daws (who is an overager). Will Daws play another year of juniors? Or will he want to turn pro immediately? The Kings already have a project in Villalta. They most likely will need to sign a veteran free agent goalie to backup Villalta. They also need to make a decision on Cole Kehler. And what is the status on Lukas Patrik?

Commesso is going to college. That gives the Kings more breathing room to avoid a prospect logjam at goalie.

RossLonsberryFan

Aug 28, 2019

Sens have four 2nds
Kings have three 2nds
Habs have three 2nds
Detroit has three 2nds
Canes have two 2nds
Preds have two 2nds
Sharks have two 2nds

7 teams own 19 out of 31 picks in the second round.

BEWARE OF A BIDDING WAR to move into the 1st round.
Dallas, Washington and St. Louis are ALL thin on picks this year and all could be looking to land two 2nds plus for their 1st round picks.

Columbus could also be looking to land multiple 2nd rounders plus for their 1st.

Pittsburgh is extremely thin on picks this year and in the previous years, so they could also be looking to move their 2021 1st for multiple 2nds plus.

I would utilize all the Kings picks through round 5 and try to trade the 6th and 7th rounders for future picks.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
I decided to target Commesso instead of Daws (who is an overager). Will Daws play another year of juniors? Or will he want to turn pro immediately? The Kings already have a project in Villalta. They most likely will need to sign a veteran free agent goalie to backup Villalta. They also need to make a decision on Cole Kehler. And what is the status on Lukas Patrik?

Commesso is going to college. That gives the Kings more breathing room to avoid a prospect logjam at goalie.

With Daws having a December birthday, another year in the CHL would probably be wise. The battle of Ontario will be between Villalta and Ingham. I agree they will likely sign a goalie with NHL experience that would be willing to play in the AHL in case one of the NHLers go down due to the lack of experience at the AHL level. A very high chance Ingham starts in the ECHL and Kehler will not be qualified. They won't sign Parik until the end of next season at the earliest, they have until 2023 to sign him but I think they will next Spring.

Reactions: RossLonsberryFan

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Sens have four 2nds
Kings have three 2nds
Habs have three 2nds
Detroit has three 2nds
Canes have two 2nds
Preds have two 2nds
Sharks have two 2nds

7 teams own 19 out of 31 picks in the second round.

BEWARE OF A BIDDING WAR to move into the 1st round.
Dallas, Washington and St. Louis are ALL thin on picks this year and all could be looking to land two 2nds plus for their 1st round picks.

This is a very wise post. Based upon listening to Yannetti, I don't think the Kings try and move up unless the value is truly there (meaning someone in their top 20 they really like starts to slip into the mid to late 20's)

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
This is a very wise post. Based upon listening to Yannetti, I don't think the Kings try and move up unless the value is truly there (meaning someone in their top 20 they really like starts to slip into the mid to late 20's)

Trading back into next years draft makes more sense to me. Kings have a bottleneck approaching for prospects, space out the next wave a little. And keep your cheap ELC’s coming for the next 5-6 years instead of all at once.

That and I think historically, there isn’t much difference from a pick in the 20’s vs early thirties. At that stage I’d rather take more chances with more picks.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Keep in mind we're also currently at 45/50 contracts and not much turnover with a few outgoing and few ELCs incoming.

I'd expect to see some bodies outgoing as well as picks.

Reactions: salami

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
That and I think historically, there isn’t much difference from a pick in the 20’s vs early thirties. At that stage I’d rather take more chances with more picks.

I agree, but what I'm saying if there is a player in the top 20 on the King's draft list (someone they think is a 10-20 top end prospect in the draft) that falls into the mid to late 20's, not some generic list on the internet. Certainly if there is a player the Kings think should not have dropped 10-15 spots, they would think about making a move if they can find a dance partner. Of course, many teams in that range already in the 1st round are thinking the same thing, they would just take the player that unexpectedly dropped. It would have to be a player that has a few flaws (maybe size, pace, compete or character issues) the Kings feel is worth the gamble due to their talent.

RossLonsberryFan

Aug 28, 2019
Keep in mind we're also currently at 45/50 contracts and not much turnover with a few outgoing and few ELCs incoming.

I'd expect to see some bodies outgoing as well as picks.

Lewis, Ryan, Hutton, Schaller, Ladue and Poulin are UFAs. That takes the Kings down to 39/50. Of course incoming prospects whose ELCs slid last season will increase that number.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Lewis, Ryan, Hutton, Schaller, Ladue and Poulin are UFAs. That takes the Kings down to 39/50. Of course incoming prospects whose ELCs slid last season will increase that number.

Right--have to account for replacements as well. Some may be currently signed RFAs, but with at least one UFA D on the way, and some more contracts to sign...it's not so much that 2020-2021 will be a hassle, only that drafting 10 players this year and next could start getting crowded. And still, it's not armageddon--just something to be mindful of as it means we have a full stable of YOUNG assets, so some are likely finding new addresses.

RossLonsberryFan

Aug 28, 2019
Right--have to account for replacements as well. Some may be currently signed RFAs, but with at least one UFA D on the way, and some more contracts to sign...it's not so much that 2020-2021 will be a hassle, only that drafting 10 players this year and next could start getting crowded. And still, it's not armageddon--just something to be mindful of as it means we have a full stable of YOUNG assets, so some are likely finding new addresses.

Personally, I am in favor of resigning Boko Imama and leaning in favor of signing Chaz Redekkopp too. I think with all of the youth on the Reign, they will need some enforcers too.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Personally, I am in favor of resigning Boko Imama and leaning in favor of signing Chaz Redekkopp too. I think with all of the youth on the Reign, they will need some enforcers too.

I'd likely offer an AHL only deal to either player. No use in using a contract slot on these guys, they are a dime a dozen. Want to keep options open within the 50 contract limit.

RossLonsberryFan

Aug 28, 2019
I'd likely offer an AHL only deal to either player. No use in using a contract slot on these guys, they are a dime a dozen. Want to keep options open within the 50 contract limit.

I agree on Reddekopp. But Imama has earned an NHL offer sheet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad