Speculation: Which top 6 forward do we acquire?

Which top 6 forward do we acquire?

• Kevin Fiala

Votes: 21 13.6%
  • Claude Giroux

Votes: 48 31.2%
  • Ryan Strome

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Dylan Strome

• Dominik Kubalik

• Andrew Mangiapane

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Matthew Tkachuk

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • Valeri Nichushkin

• Sean Monahan

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Jake Debrusk

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Reilly Smith

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Someone not on the list

Votes: 16 10.4%
  • We don't acquire a top 6 forward. We acquire a 3rd liner.

Votes: 41 26.6%

• Total voters

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I think there's some foundational elements that are unknown at the moment that are pivotal.

The first is whether or not the team is for sale and how imminent that sale might be. If they plan on selling soon, will the new owner want the previous owners to make a bunch of financial commitments just before they take over?

It would be interesting to know what the internal cap is next year and I would think there could be a connection between the cap amount and the ownership situation. A lot hinges on this and spending plans could be pretty modest & conservative until this is sorted out.

Reactions: NB613 and Cosmix

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Fiala is great, but I think Giroux is better suited to us right now;

We aren't winning it all right away, so giving Norris, Sanderson, Batherson, and Stu time to develop is key. Fiala might not fit into the salary structure by the time they've all hit their new deals (or he'll push somebody else out). Meanwhile, in order to get him we'll have to trade off the guys that come in on ELC and fill out the roster with quality.

Giroux is good enough that if we surprise and make noise in the next two years, he's going to help. He's a great mentor and will help bring along the young kids. And when salary structure gets tight, we can move on. All that for no assets outside of salary.

He'll probably go chase a cup though so it's a moot point...

I agree. The mentorship Giroux can bring alone would be invaluable. Moreover, I do not believe he will really chase a cup, in a couple years, with right moves and development, we could have a good a shot as any, or possible trade him ourselves. I think he values coming close to home at this junction of his career instead of hoping from team to team to try and compete for a cup.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Giroux is good enough that if we surprise and make noise in the next two years, he's going to help. He's a great mentor and will help bring along the young kids. And when salary structure gets tight, we can move on. All that for no assets outside of salary.

He'll probably go chase a cup though so it's a moot point...

If Florida goes out in the first round he might believe that chasing a Cup is too hard to predict and return home to play instead.

Assen na yo!

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I know Palat just turned 31 but he still has the wheels and hands. If we miss on Giroux maybe a 3 year overpay on Palat would work.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
I really don't think we acquire anyone of significance until ownership is hashed out. We'll honour our current contracts, hopefully be able to resign our own guys, and fill out the open spots with young guys and the PTO type guys a la Ennis.

Reactions: Cosmix

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I really don't think we acquire anyone of significance until ownership is hashed out. We'll honour our current contracts, hopefully be able to resign our own guys, and fill out the open spots with young guys and the PTO type guys a la Ennis.
I think we will know about Ownership by the end of this month. If the daughters are keeping it or moving a part of it

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
I don’t get the love for Drouin… I don’t think he has anything else that he hasn’t shown.
No love here. Don't want the guy on the team at all. Just looks like a Dorion move is all. Get a broken or struggling player and make them fit.

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
Take an overpay but he'd be terrific
He would be a good pick up so would Travis Konecny, I watched a lot of Fiala this year and I am not impressed. He can score but is so soft he makes Timmy look like a bully!

He was in a contract year and disappointed in the playoffs.

Fiala obsession is based on this year's numbers and he is going to command big bucks and probably regress. The cost to acquire him in career year is going to be huge over payment. Plus we will have to commit 7 AAV to a extension on him plus give up assets. Forget about it.

I rather give that money to old man Giroux than Fiala.

Last edited:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Meier would be an excellent fit if he's available. 77GP: 35-41-76. 326 SOG (38 more than Brady!) and 270 hits. He's 25 and hasn't hit the 400 game breakout threshold. Pain in the ass player with a tonne of skill, the perfect Sen.

That guy is the dream acquisition, but I haven't even bothered to consider him because no way in hell SJ dumb enough to move him.

There are few people I would "overpay" for, he is one. Like you said, the perfect Sen. Wouldn't hesitate in the least to offer him big time money.

It really goes to show there are a few potential options out there we can really capitalize on. But the safest of them all might be just to get Giroux and use our 7th overall pick effectively then make that big trade a couple years from now.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I'm thinking a couple different names for different reasons...

1. Drouin. He makes a lot of sense if we take the rumours of Montreal being interested in Colin White into the equation. If Montreal believes White can contribute for them then Drouin only has a year left and could use a fresh start. At worst we get rid of White and see of Drouin can do the job, at best Drouin and Stutzle gel and become a good top 6 combo.

2. Mangiapane. Flames don't have the money to re-sign him. If they don't sign Tkachuk or Gaudreau okay but I can't see that happening. He should go for less than Fiala and Laine types and he scored 35 goals without playing with Gaudreau and/or Tkachuk. He's young enough to be part of this team going forward at 26. He's from Ontario and he would fill a void in the top 6. Plays with speed and highly skilled, great shot too so would be an amazing complement on that 2nd line.

3. Giroux. I certainly hope he wants to come here. I have a hard time believing it though. If he wants to come though it should be a done deal.

I think adding Drouin for White is a no brainer if it's an option. I would do that instantly and you basically swap a guy that doesn't fit in with a guy on a contract year that's looking for a fresh start.

Then if you can add another top 6 guy with some picks/prospects you do that as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrEasy

Frank8

Sep 19, 2013
He would be a good pick up so would Travis Konecny, I watched a lot of Fiala this year and I am not impressed. He can score but is so soft he makes Timmy look like a bully!

He was in a contract year and disappointed in the playoffs.

Fiala obsession is based on this year's numbers and he is going to command big bucks and probably regress. The cost to acquire him in career year is going to be huge over payment. Plus we will have to commit 7 AAV to a extension on him plus give up assets. Forget about it.

I rather give that money to old man Giroux than Fiala.
There's nothing to suggest Fiala will regress. His 12.6 shot percentage was in line with last year (12.3%) and lower than two seasons ago (13.1%). He actually had fewer PP goals this season (5) than the last two seasons (6,9) in far more games. Of his 52 assists, only 20 were secondary. Where he saw the biggest uptick was is shots, 262 versus 174 in his last full season and that's something he can maintain. He hit the 400 game breakout threshold this season at age 25. All of which makes me believe he's a bonafide star.

He's not a bruiser, but his 52 hits isn't bad for a smaller, skilled player. He's also proven to be quite durable, only missing a few games over the last five seasons. (He even has an 83 game season to his credit)

Are there some consistency issues? Maybe. He definitely starts slow: 20 points in 30 games to start last season before going over ppg the rest of the way and 18 in 33 in 2021 before doing the same. As for the playoffs, three points in six games isn't ideal from your star player but it's a small sample size.

What might also be a concern is that his last two teams didn't seem in an hurry to keep him. Yes, Minnesota are in cap trouble, but it doesn't look like Fiala was ever in Guerin's long term plans. And although Nashville may have made the Granlund trade because they were in "win now" mode, 11 OA picks don't often get traded so early in their careers.

In both cases it could just be a case of the teams not realising what they had. Regardless, if there's a chance to land him and sign him long term, he's near the top of the list for me.

Last edited:

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021

I think we will know about Ownership by the end of this month. If the daughters are keeping it or moving a part of it

I doubt that the daughters tell us anything before a sale is consummated.
I agree that a lot will depend on ownership.

If the team is up for sale, then the current board would likely not be making any big moves.

Whether we find out quickly about the ownership situation remains to be seen. It wouldn't surprise me if it takes some time before we hear something. Hope I'm wrong of course.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I'm thinking a couple different names for different reasons...

1. Drouin. He makes a lot of sense if we take the rumours of Montreal being interested in Colin White into the equation. If Montreal believes White can contribute for them then Drouin only has a year left and could use a fresh start. At worst we get rid of White and see of Drouin can do the job, at best Drouin and Stutzle gel and become a good top 6 combo.

2. Mangiapane. Flames don't have the money to re-sign him. If they don't sign Tkachuk or Gaudreau okay but I can't see that happening. He should go for less than Fiala and Laine types and he scored 35 goals without playing with Gaudreau and/or Tkachuk. He's young enough to be part of this team going forward at 26. He's from Ontario and he would fill a void in the top 6. Plays with speed and highly skilled, great shot too so would be an amazing complement on that 2nd line.

3. Giroux. I certainly hope he wants to come here. I have a hard time believing it though. If he wants to come though it should be a done deal.

I think adding Drouin for White is a no brainer if it's an option. I would do that instantly and you basically swap a guy that doesn't fit in with a guy on a contract year that's looking for a fresh start.

Then if you can add another top 6 guy with some picks/prospects you do that as well.

Why not all 3? White for Drouin (throw in some draft picks from both sides to make the numbers work).

Boucher and Watson (Sutter would make something out of these two) for Mangiapane

Sign Giroux as a ufa.

Tkachuk Norris Mangiapane
Giroux Stu Batherson
Brown Joseph Drouin
Formenton Pinto Grieg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad