Speculation: Which top 6 forward do we acquire?

Which top 6 forward do we acquire?

• Kevin Fiala

Votes: 21 13.6%
  • Claude Giroux

Votes: 48 31.2%
  • Ryan Strome

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Dylan Strome

• Dominik Kubalik

• Andrew Mangiapane

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Matthew Tkachuk

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • Valeri Nichushkin

• Sean Monahan

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Jake Debrusk

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Reilly Smith

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Someone not on the list

Votes: 16 10.4%
  • We don't acquire a top 6 forward. We acquire a 3rd liner.

Votes: 41 26.6%

• Total voters

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
Why would AZ let go of Keller . Young piece locked up long term good aav only way is if he demands a trade
He's been in the rumor mill for 2 years and DUH he wants out of college (see what I did there). I'm concerned about his torn acl, that was the season ender right?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Fiala
Meier
Teravainen
Ehlers
Rust
Konecny

Too bad they were not in on Buchnevich .. who went for Blais and a late 2nd.
that was cheap compared to what we will pay.

Reactions: Matsens15 and NB613

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I'm guessing that Minnesota will be trying to move Zuccarello. He's got two years remaining with a 6 million cap hit. This would allow the wild to keep Fiala. There would be teams willing to acquire Zuccarello but it shouldn't be us. I'd be shocked if Fiala isn't still in Minnesota next year.

Kinda sounds like they know they can't keep him.

Reactions: NB613

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
He can still play but I'd be reluctant to give up assets for a player who will be 35 next season. He'd be more attractive to a contending team.
Well of course it always depends on the price.

Fiala
Meier
Teravainen
Ehlers
Rust
Konecny

Too bad they were not in on Buchnevich .. who went for Blais and a late 2nd.
that was cheap compared to what we will pay.
Doubt Meier is available.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Claude would love to play here and it's his number one choice if money is similar.

Having said that, i doubt we'll be able to pony up without dumping some decent salary so lots of work to be done this off-season.
He may love to play here, but does he want to go for a cup? I do not think Ottawa is a 29 year old Giroulx away from competing for a cup, much less a 35 year old Giroulx. Maybe in three years if some player mature, yes, but its unlikely he gets signed to much ore than a two year deal.

My feeling is he takes less to go for a cup, but obviously thats pure speculation.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
I think it's gonna be Drouin, and I think we're going to react the same way we did when we added Hamonic.

Reactions: Duncstar

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I'd love to get Konecny off the Flyers. He's not 6ft3, but he's a 25 year old RW that can put up 20g 30a and is signed to a good deal.

Flyers need to fully rebuild, and we can offer a decent enough package for him, a solid hockey deal for both sides.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Why would AZ let go of Keller . Young piece locked up long term good aav only way is if he demands a trade

There was rumours Arizona was unhappy with his contract before this season. Thought it might have been a mistake to sign it.

Plus their financial future over the next three years will be difficult. Their arena situation will require them to go crazy cheap on their payroll front.

Their roster should look radically different to start next season. All kids and players on descending contracts. I would not be surprised if they went after Kane or Crosby. Or anyone whose salary is 50% less than their cap hit.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I'd love to get Konecny off the Flyers. He's not 6ft3, but he's a 25 year old RW that can put up 20g 30a and is signed to a good deal.

Flyers need to fully rebuild, and we can offer a decent enough package for him, a solid hockey deal for both sides.

I don't think Konecny is that high-end offensive winger we need the way Fiala is, but if it's between him and say, a Drouin or a Strome, I guess I'd take him on.

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
I don't think Konecny is that high-end offensive winger we need the way Fiala is, but if it's between him and say, a Drouin or a Strome, I guess I'd take him on.
With Drouin you barely have to give up anything and you can dump White. Konecny is a different story. I'd take Drouin on a flyer, buy low option. Our lines slot better and chemistry is (possibly) better.

Reactions: bicboi64

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I was joking lol.

He's a great player on a contender like we were. He was a bigger contributor than Stone and many others on our run. He's just a slacking passenger at other times when things aren't going well. Age may be catching up by now too, but put up 36/70 only 4 years ago.

That and the crazy gf thing.

He's put up 17 and 15 goals seasons recently and is turning 33 this year. He's done. Gone is his blazing speed that gave him breakaways and put him in prime scoring situations whenever he turned on the Jets. That player doesn't exist anymore in mike Hoffman.

You have to remember he didn't break out until he was like 25 so he's a lot older than you think. Methot stopped playing at his age. He's not magically becoming a 30 goal threat again.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
The worst thing about having Hoffman is having to play him. He’s the epitome of what the Sens don’t want. (Soft PP2 only winger who can’t defend)

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Unlike some people here, I think we will get a good player.

I agree we will not get what we actually NEED but someone lesser; however, he'll still be important.

Who we NEED: Fiala

Who we will settle for: Giroux

Conservative pick if we fumble the play: Rielly Smith.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Someone like Trochek or Neiderreiter might be a good option as well. They are both nearing 30 and might be a bit affordable on a shorter term deal unless of course they're looking to cash out. If we can sign one of them for a fair deal, its better then nothing

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
He's put up 17 and 15 goals seasons recently and is turning 33 this year. He's done. Gone is his blazing speed that gave him breakaways and put him in prime scoring situations whenever he turned on the Jets. That player doesn't exist anymore in mike Hoffman.

You have to remember he didn't break out until he was like 25 so he's a lot older than you think. Methot stopped playing at his age. He's not magically becoming a 30 goal threat again.
This joke went to far. I agree, it would be absurd to acquire him and he is definitely on the downswing of his career.

My following defense of his player type is because I just think there's a myth around that kind of player and that you can't succeed with them. He was huge for us and pretty clutch when we had him. His defensive deficiencies were much more obvious when we were out of the playoff picture and the games didn't matter, which is when guys like him become a problem, sort of like Kovalev.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Someone like Trochek or Neiderreiter might be a good option as well. They are both nearing 30 and might be a bit affordable on a shorter term deal unless of course they're looking to cash out. If we can sign one of them for a fair deal, its better then nothing
I like Trocheck, I would be reasonably happy having him in our top 6.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I'm still hoping they acquire Lawson Crouse especially after watching the playoffs again this yr. Ottawa will need a little more muscle if they plan on making the playoffs next season.

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I agree we will not get what we actually NEED but someone lesser; however, he'll still be important.

I expect a cheap UFA signing of an old over 30 downward trending vet beyond his BBD who is a good talker in the locker-room but no longer able to compete in the top 6 on the ice.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I expect a cheap UFA signing of an old over 30 downward trending vet beyond his BBD who is a good talker in the locker-room but no longer able to compete in the top 6 on the ice.
Even worse o expect to trade 7th overall for the player you have described

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

I would agree with you, but Dorion has a lot to lose if the team doesn't make serious progress next year. There's also been too much smoke with Giroux and Fiala calibre players.

Dorion will be forced to make a notable move. Unfortunately, we don't know how much it'll cost us.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Fiala is great, but I think Giroux is better suited to us right now;

We aren't winning it all right away, so giving Norris, Sanderson, Batherson, and Stu time to develop is key. Fiala might not fit into the salary structure by the time they've all hit their new deals (or he'll push somebody else out). Meanwhile, in order to get him we'll have to trade off the guys that come in on ELC and fill out the roster with quality.

Giroux is good enough that if we surprise and make noise in the next two years, he's going to help. He's a great mentor and will help bring along the young kids. And when salary structure gets tight, we can move on. All that for no assets outside of salary.

He'll probably go chase a cup though so it's a moot point...

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00