Speculation: Which top 6 forward do we acquire?

Which top 6 forward do we acquire?

• Kevin Fiala

Votes: 21 13.6%
  • Claude Giroux

Votes: 48 31.2%
  • Ryan Strome

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Dylan Strome

• Dominik Kubalik

• Andrew Mangiapane

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Matthew Tkachuk

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • Valeri Nichushkin

• Sean Monahan

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Jake Debrusk

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Reilly Smith

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Someone not on the list

Votes: 16 10.4%
  • We don't acquire a top 6 forward. We acquire a 3rd liner.

Votes: 41 26.6%

• Total voters

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
The team needs a top 6 forward and top 4 defenceman in order to make the playoffs.

I suspect the budget is going to affect what we get. I expect Dorion to get a retread vet via UFA to pass off as the forward.

We have too many defencemen already for next season due to Dorion's folly: Chabot, Zub, Del Zotto, Holden, Hamonic, Zaitsev, Sanderson & Brannstrom; so I do not expect another D to be acquired.

Reactions: Loach

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
This team is signing giroux.

High risk gambit for the Sens though. A trade for a top-6 forward likely has to happen at the draft, which is before free agency opens. What happens if they stay out of trade talks because they think they can land Giroux and then he decides to go elsewhere? Probably end up not adding anybody.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013

High risk gambit for the Sens though. A trade for a top-6 forward likely has to happen at the draft, which is before free agency opens. What happens if they stay out of trade talks because they think they can land Giroux and then he decides to go elsewhere? Probably end up not adding anybody.

There are still some other middle end top 6 options in FA

Palat
Niederreiter
Trochek
Burakovsky
Kapanen
Zacha

So if we miss out on Giroux we have other FA options if that is the route we decide to go

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

If we're including our 1st I agree, I don't see us offering our first for anybody other than Fiala though. If we miss on Fiala, I wouldn't make a trade till we know what Giroux is doing.

Reactions: aragorn and Deku

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
New Jersey GM said today that they are open to trading their 1st round pick, and NJ fans are all over the Fiala hype train.

Looks like Dorion has some competition...and that makes me feel worse...

Ouroboros

Feb 3, 2008
There are still some other middle end top 6 options in FA

Palat
Niederreiter
Trochek
Burakovsky
Kapanen
Zacha

So if we miss out on Giroux we have other FA options if that is the route we decide to go
Kapanen and Zacha are restricted so those would have to be trades.

For the others - the Senators are never in the mix for this calibre of player in free agency. Dorion pretty much telegraphed that they have to acquire this piece via trade because the sort of player we need is not interested in coming here if they can avoid it. The only reason we have a shot at Giroux is because he's from the area and there's a belief that he'd like to return.

Ouroboros

Feb 3, 2008
New Jersey GM said today that they are open to trading their 1st round pick, and NJ fans are all over the Fiala hype train.

Looks like Dorion has some competition...and that makes me feel worse...
There will be a ton of interest in Fiala if he's made available. Star producers in his age bracket are rarely traded, and when they are they often have NTC's so they can veto shithole locations like Ottawa and New Jersey.

It will take a huge return to land this player. I'd guess something like 7th, Ridly Greig and a third asset.

Reactions: Sweatred

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
I’m thinking it’s Clayton Keller. We’re going to lose out in Fiala.

Murray, ‘23 first, Bernard-Docker, 2nd ‘22, Kastelic (Arizona guy)

Very similar to Fiala. Get to dump Murray in the process.

Oct 10, 2010
Claude would love to play here and it's his number one choice if money is similar.

Having said that, i doubt we'll be able to pony up without dumping some decent salary so lots of work to be done this off-season.

Reactions: Duncstar

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Claude would love to play here and it's his number one choice if money is similar.

Having said that, i doubt we'll be able to pony up without dumping some decent salary so lots of work to be done this off-season.
Re: bolded

Very true. And that's why the ownership situation makes the situation even more tricky. Free Agency starts on July 13th this year I believe.

If the new owners are not in place by say early July and the interim board is running on another restricted or tight budget, things might be status quo and similar to the way things have been over the last few years.

It will be interesting to see if there's any news or developments with the NHL BoG meets in mid June.

Reactions: OttawaSenators11

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I’m thinking it’s Clayton Keller. We’re going to lose out in Fiala.

Murray, ‘23 first, Bernard-Docker, 2nd ‘22, Kastelic (Arizona guy)

Very similar to Fiala. Get to dump Murray in the process.

Why would AZ let go of Keller . Young piece locked up long term good aav only way is if he demands a trade

Reactions: aragorn and DrEasy

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I liked Hoffman and all, but that whole time is a wound I do not wish to re-open
I was joking lol.
Hoffman isn’t a good player
He's a great player on a contender like we were. He was a bigger contributor than Stone and many others on our run. He's just a slacking passenger at other times when things aren't going well. Age may be catching up by now too, but put up 36/70 only 4 years ago.

That and the crazy gf thing.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
I'm guessing that Minnesota will be trying to move Zuccarello. He's got two years remaining with a 6 million cap hit. This would allow the wild to keep Fiala. There would be teams willing to acquire Zuccarello but it shouldn't be us. I'd be shocked if Fiala isn't still in Minnesota next year.

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I'm guessing that Minnesota will be trying to move Zuccarello. He's got two years remaining with a 6 million cap it. This would allow the wild to keep Fiala. There would be teams willing to acquire Zuccarello but it shouldn't be us. I'd be shocked if Fiala isn't still in Minnesota next year.
Zucc is awesome

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad