Speculation: Which top 6 forward do we acquire?

Which top 6 forward do we acquire?

• Kevin Fiala

Votes: 21 13.6%
  • Claude Giroux

Votes: 48 31.2%
  • Ryan Strome

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Dylan Strome

• Dominik Kubalik

• Andrew Mangiapane

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Matthew Tkachuk

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • Valeri Nichushkin

• Sean Monahan

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Jake Debrusk

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Reilly Smith

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Someone not on the list

Votes: 16 10.4%
  • We don't acquire a top 6 forward. We acquire a 3rd liner.

Votes: 41 26.6%

• Total voters

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Why not all 3? White for Drouin (throw in some draft picks from both sides to make the numbers work).

Boucher and Watson (Sutter would make something out of these two) for Mangiapane

Sign Giroux as a ufa.

Tkachuk Norris Mangiapane
Giroux Stu Batherson
Brown Joseph Drouin
Formenton Pinto Grieg

I don't see that happening with Giroux out of the playoffs. I'd be surprised if he didn't try for a cup, he's older and at the end of his prime while still contributing. He needs a team that can win right now and Ottawa just isn't there. I'm sure he's considering Ottawa but I can't see it legitimately happening.

I think Boucher could be of interest but other wise a trade that could make sense for both teams would be a trade based on C. Brown and Mangiapane. Flames are rolling, they'll want a roster player for Mangiapane IMO and Brown is cheap enough to offer them solid value for cheap and no long term commitment. Add a prospect or a pick and I think it's viable for Calgary. I think the Flames will have better offers than Boucher/Watson for Mangiapane. Guy scored 35 goals this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix

JimmySpaetzle

May 16, 2014
I don't see that happening with Giroux out of the playoffs. I'd be surprised if he didn't try for a cup, he's older and at the end of his prime while still contributing. He needs a team that can win right now and Ottawa just isn't there. I'm sure he's considering Ottawa but I can't see it legitimately happening.

I think Boucher could be of interest but other wise a trade that could make sense for both teams would be a trade based on C. Brown and Mangiapane. Flames are rolling, they'll want a roster player for Mangiapane IMO and Brown is cheap enough to offer them solid value for cheap and no long term commitment. Add a prospect or a pick and I think it's viable for Calgary. I think the Flames will have better offers than Boucher/Watson for Mangiapane. Guy scored 35 goals this year.
I could see Ottawa legitimately happening but only if we offer significantly more than other teams and no thanks to that one… not in a position as a team to be overpaying 35 year olds to try to win

Schmautz11

Oct 5, 2007
He's not on the list but I think you could build a strong case for pursuing UFA David Perron. I think he ticks off a lot of the boxes and would be a nice addition on a Dadonov type deal. His strong playoff run isn't helping the Sens cost case though....

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
I think any confidence that PD will actually get us a legit 2nd liner is misplaced. He may get someone that plays on our 2nd line but they won't be a true 2nd line player. Only caveat.. he dramatically overpays for someone ala Matt Duchene.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

Where can Giroux sign that will ensure him even a 25% chance at a cup?

If he really wants to chase a cup he should sign a 1 year deal with a non playoff team with a full NMC and cherry pick where he goes next March. That may get him into the 25% probability range if he takes a low cap hit. Beyond that he can’t sign with a team now that has anything other then a good chance of winning some games.

So he can sign with a team that may have 10% odds of winning the cup or he can sign where he is building his house.

Reactions: aragorn

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

we really don't know what Grioux is thinking

He might care more about being closer to home then the cup. We just don't know. The rumours seem to point that we have a shot and ottawa should do everything they can to get him. Overpaying on a 2-3 deal is not bad imo

Oct 10, 2010
Ottawa is a legitimate possibility.

He's always wanted to play here wouldn't even take an overpay just needs to be similar

They really need to find a way to cut some salary though.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
He's not on the list but I think you could build a strong case for pursuing UFA David Perron. I think he ticks off a lot of the boxes and would be a nice addition on a Dadonov type deal. His strong playoff run isn't helping the Sens cost case though....

Perron is interesting, but he's not a speedy guy. Sens top 2 lines are all guys with speed, even Brady with his goofy skating can really get moving.

I'd be stunned if he went anywhere. He's found a perfect fit with the Blues, and I suspect they'll pay enough to keep him there.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Where can Giroux sign that will ensure him even a 25% chance at a cup?

If he really wants to chase a cup he should sign a 1 year deal with a non playoff team with a full NMC and cherry pick where he goes next March. That may get him into the 25% probability range if he takes a low cap hit. Beyond that he can’t sign with a team now that has anything other then a good chance of winning some games.

So he can sign with a team that may have 10% odds of winning the cup or he can sign where he is building his house.
If he is chasing a SC then I suspect he signs at a low salary with a true contending team.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Like who? Even if he signs at $3 million where does he even get a 1/4 chance at the cup?

The 25% probability of winning is guesswork. I suppose one could use the betting lines to gauge that.

If his goal is to win a SC, not earn a high salary, I think he will sign for less than $3M like Spezza, Perry, etc. with a team that finished near the top of the league this past season such as Florida, Colorado, Carolina, Toronto, Minnesota, Calgary, NYR or Tampa to maximize his probability of winning a SC. He can choose whichever team he prefers or thinks has the highest probability.

Reactions: Boud

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
The 25% probability of winning is guesswork. I suppose one could use the betting lines to gauge that.

If his goal is to win a SC, not earn a high salary, I think he will sign for less than $3M like Spezza, Perry, etc. with a team that finished near the top of the league this past season such as Florida, Colorado, Carolina, Toronto, Minnesota, Calgary, NYR or Tampa to maximize his probability of winning a SC. He can choose whichever team he prefers or thinks has the highest probability.

I mean… it’s one thing if he wants yo take a million and play in Colorado or whatever. I can’t see a guy turning away $15 million at this point.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I mean… it’s one thing if he wants yo take a million and play in Colorado or whatever. I can’t see a guy turning away $15 million at this point.

If he already has $50M or more the extra $15M might be worth the sacrifice to get his name on the SC. In my circumstances, I would prefer the extra $15M. :)

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If Giroux will sign here for a yr or two that would be fine & we could keep our 1st rd pick which we should & add a quality forward like Cutter Gauthier LW. If the intent is to keep Stutzle at centre he will need a couple of big skilled guys to play with & Gauthier & Boucher might be exactly what he needs to make room for him, protect him & allow him to use his skills. Either Gauthier at forward or Jiricek on the defence should be our draft targets, at least I hope so.

Reactions: Sweatred

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
If Giroux will sign here for a yr or two that would be fine & we could keep our 1st rd pick which we should & add a quality forward like Cutter Gauthier LW. If the intent is to keep Stutzle at centre he will need a couple of big skilled guys to play with & Gauthier & Boucher might be exactly what he needs to make room for him, protect him & allow him to use his skills. Either Gauthier at forward or Jiricek on the defence should be our draft targets, at least I hope so.

Dorion mentioned that he thought the player we get at 7 is close to playing in 2023. This team is close to potential injection of wingers with Greig, 7OA, Sokolov, Kelly, Boucher?, Lodin etc.

We really only need some short term scoring for 1-2 years …

Last edited:

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
If its a UFA that doesn't cost assets, that would be great.

Otherwise, after looking at CapFriendly, there's lots of teams (over half of the teams) that need to fill vacant roster spots with not very much cap space available to achieve this objective. That should be a target rich environment for a team with cap space to operate in.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
As much as this board sucks now, anytime I see any tweet from Sens twitter, especially trade stuff, I know why I'd rather discuss here.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
^ I have no idea what Giroux wants to do. But, if he did in fact want to come here, I'm not sure I'd be resisting and keep making posts about it that throws cold water on the idea.

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Not sure if this was posted anywhere, but

Oh damn sorry, it says "Some people who know Claude personally are convinced that the Sens have a pretty good chance to get him under contract"

If Pierre Dorion can pull this off, he would score a lot of points in my books. Yes it would be lucky as Claude might want to be closer to home but it would solve getting a Top-6 forward and a veteran/leader.

If a Top-4 RHD is available, you get him as well

And well, for the 7th OA pick, depends what young-ish forward we could get.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad