Speculation: Which top 6 forward do we acquire?

Which top 6 forward do we acquire?

• Kevin Fiala

Votes: 21 13.6%
  • Claude Giroux

Votes: 48 31.2%
  • Ryan Strome

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Dylan Strome

• Dominik Kubalik

• Andrew Mangiapane

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Matthew Tkachuk

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • Valeri Nichushkin

• Sean Monahan

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Jake Debrusk

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Reilly Smith

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Someone not on the list

Votes: 16 10.4%
  • We don't acquire a top 6 forward. We acquire a 3rd liner.

Votes: 41 26.6%

• Total voters

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Giroux is my first choice. No assets, just a contract.

Monahan is my best guess from that list of who we actually end up with. Monahan for White at all in the ballpark?

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
Considering what is feasible and relistic, Reilly Smith is a good one. I think R. Strome might be another possibility.

Reactions: Deku

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Why would we want a broken down overpaid center? I mean even Dorion isn't dumb enough to expect fans to believe he's a top 6 guy.

assennayo
Not my preferred target by any means, only my best guess of who we end up with and I can easily see him being attempted to be sold as a top 6 acquisition. They would point to injury problems and recovery time as the hope for a turn around.

Don't know why, but I just looked at the list and have a suspicion he could be a guy Dorion will look at to try to both buy low on and possibly be able to send a contract like White to facilitate it.

Reactions: SkeeterPumpkinEater

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I think their ideal option would be to empty the clip to acquire Kevin Fiala. If he becomes available I think our only reasonable untouchable is Jake Sanderson; everything else should be on the table.

Failing that, I guess they'll start moving down the list and looking at cheaper options such as Jake DeBrusk, Brock Boeser, or Josh Bailey. I'll throw out Anthony Mantha as a dark horse option if the Caps want to change things up.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I think their ideal option would be to empty the clip to acquire Kevin Fiala. If he becomes available I think our only reasonable untouchable is Jake Sanderson; everything else should be on the table.

Failing that, I guess they'll start moving down the list and looking at cheaper options such as Jake DeBrusk, Brock Boeser, or Josh Bailey. I'll throw out Anthony Mantha as a dark horse option if the Caps want to change things up.
You wan to empty the clip for one year of Fiala ? Or are you assuming he would extend here ?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I’m going with Pierre Luc Dubois. Just feel he’s the exact type of player Dorion would want. Would have to do something like:

Ott: Dubois
Winn: Colin White (salary), 7th overall, JBD, Formenton (also salary reasons but a true asset)

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Dubois - Timmy - C. Brown
Greig - Pinto - Joseph
Kelly - Kastelic - Watson

Great forward group

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Who should we get: Giroux

Who we will get : Kasperi Kapanen. Cheap and young and not what we need

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Who should we get: Giroux

Who we will get : Kasperi Kapanen. Cheap and young and not what we need

Lower tier than what I'd want, but fits the profile of a realistic addition. He had a down year, but he's one season away from scoring at a 62 pt/82 game pace. Probably can extend him for 2-3 years at a reasonable rate. But he's pretty redundant with Joseph and Formenton already on the team.

For Giroux to come here, he needs to win the cup and we need to overpay. Otherwise, I'd expect him to take a discount to stay in Florida.

I’m going with Pierre Luc Dubois. Just feel he’s the exact type of player Dorion would want. Would have to do something like:

Ott: Dubois
Winn: Colin White (salary), 7th overall, JBD, Formenton (also salary reasons but a true asset)

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Dubois - Timmy - C. Brown
Greig - Pinto - Joseph

Great forward group

Question with Dubois is would he extend here if we don't overpay. My guess is no. If he's leaving Winnipeg, it's because he wants to hit UFA.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Claude Giroux and/or Filip Forsberg. Both UFA and will not cost prospects. I do not want to send away guys we have developed for someone similar to what is available for $$. One of these with Stutzle will make a difference.

Clear out the placeholders and failed experiments (White, Ennis, Gaudette, et al). Bottom 6 with
Formenton - Pinto - Joseph
Is enough. Jarventee, Sokolov or Grieg can step in as required.

Reactions: NB613 and Cosmix

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Lower tier than what I'd want, but fits the profile of a realistic addition. He had a down year, but he's one season away from scoring at a 62 pt/82 game pace. Probably can extend him for 2-3 years at a reasonable rate. But he's pretty redundant with Joseph and Formenton already on the team.

For Giroux to come here, he needs to win the cup and we need to overpay. Otherwise, I'd expect him to take a discount to stay in Florida.

Question with Dubois is would he extend here if we don't overpay. My guess is no. If he's leaving Winnipeg, it's because he wants to hit UFA.
Unless Giroux is taking league minimum I can’t see him fitting in.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Unless Giroux is taking league minimum I can’t see him fitting in.

They'll find a way to get rid of Hornqvist. I'm sure Arizona would be happy to take him for one season. Forsling and Gudas would be easy to move as well.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Claude Giroux and/or Filip Forsberg. Both UFA and will not cost prospects. I do not want to send away guys we have developed for someone similar to what is available for $$. One of these with Stutzle will make a difference.

Clear out the placeholders and failed experiments (White, Ennis, Gaudette, et al). Bottom 6 with
Formenton - Pinto - Joseph
Is enough. Jarventee, Sokolov or Grieg can step in as required.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but there is zero chance Forsberg comes here.

Reactions: NB613 and Boud

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
They'll find a way to get rid of Hornqvist. I'm sure Arizona would be happy to take him for one season. Forsling and Gudas would be easy to move as well.
Hornqvist has an 8 team no trade list, I doubt he wants Arizona for his last season. Gud as and Forsling don’t really free up much money. Florida has 4.5M of cap space with 16 players signed.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Why would we want a broken down overpaid center? I mean even Dorion isn't dumb enough to expect fans to believe he's a top 6 guy.

assennayo

Giroux would very much be a top 6 acquisition.

65 pts in 75 games he would be 2 pts behind the team leader in Ottawa.

Plays C, and Wing. Would be perfect mentor for Stützle.

He probably has 3 good seasons left in him.

Reactions: NB613 and operasen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad