Speculation: Which third line center (3C) would you prefer?

Which third line center (3C) would you prefer?

• Total voters

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
I think we both agree that we need more center insurance. I feel we all see it that way. But Evans is ready for 3C. I have more confidence in that than KK in a 2C role.

Both have shown question marks for the roles they might be asked to fill. Though I will say that I'm more confident that Evans can fill the 3C, more than I am Kotkaniemi.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I would take a radical approach: trade for Domi, with Columbus retaining 50% salary. Give up 3rd round choice for a player that Columbus is anxious to move. A complete reclamation project, but far less risky that drafting Mailloux. What is the downside risk? $3 million dollars? If Domi can recapture 70% of his form of 2018-2019, it would be a huge boost to the team. At the very least, he would help our dreadful 3 on 3 play, as Domi is a dynamic skater when motivated.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
His draft year he only had 14 points in 33 games, the next years he played with Marner and Tkachuk and lit it up.
You'd still think with those totals, he'd get drafted in the first round. Especially being a centre. Sure, they probably bloated his totals, but he was still good enough to play with them 2 years in a row.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I would offer Kotkaniemi for Dvorak. I think time will show Kotkaniemi should not have been a top 5 pick.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I would offer Kotkaniemi for Dvorak. I think time will show Kotkaniemi should not have been a top 5 pick.

that would be quite something if we ended up moving KK for Dvorak after letting Danault go, essentially losing Danault and KK for Dvorak :skeptic:

i find it illogical to move too many pieces for a 3C when we coulda just resigned Danault for 500k more, a quality C is a different story

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
that would be quite something if we ended up moving KK for Dvorak after letting Danault go, essentially losing Danault and KK for Dvorak :skeptic:

i find it illogical to move too many pieces for a 3C when we coulda just resigned Danault for 500k more, a quality C is a different story
Dvorak scored 17 goals in a 56 game season so it appears he is developing into possibly a 25 goal center.
Danault left on his own accord so that's a moot point to me. He left because he wanted out.

Kotkaniemi is entering his 4th season and nothing I have seen tells me he will be anything special. It was a horrible pick.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Even if he was a 5-10 range pick, you don't trade him age age 21. Not for a Dvorak type. He's on a value contract and would fit in our 2C hole better in the short term yes. I'd use Poehling instead as the bait

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Even if he was a 5-10 range pick, you don't trade him age age 21. Not for a Dvorak type. He's on a value contract and would fit in our 2C hole better in the short term yes. I'd use Poehling instead as the bait
Fair point but I will counter that Ryan Poehling will surprise. I would rather keep Poehling. He needed seasoning and I think he makes the jump.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Dvorak scored 17 goals in a 56 game season so it appears he is developing into possibly a 25 goal center.
Danault left on his own accord so that's a moot point to me. He left because he wanted out.

Kotkaniemi is entering his 4th season and nothing I have seen tells me he will be anything special. It was a horrible pick.

I bet you feel different if the Habs didn't rush KK. Would have been much better to keep him away from the NHL in his age 18 and 19 years. Imagine what you would have to project in this case.

* Two WJC tournaments
* At least one more Liiga season playing a bigger role. Could leave him there for 2 to work on his game with more time and space.
* Maybe one AHL year or half year at age 20.

Do you think the Coyotes are that low on Hayton? Habs rocketed KK from a bottom 6 role in the Liiga at age 17 to 3C in the NHL at age 18. Horrible management cause they had a center hole IMO

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Fair point but I will counter that Ryan Poehling will surprise. I would rather keep Poehling. He needed seasoning and I think he makes the jump.

Fair as well. I like both KK and Poehling. KK being rushed to the NHL at age 18 has always pissed me off though.

When I look at the Coyotes, I feel they need Dvorak more than we do. Maybe a trade in season is a better approach. Wet get to see KK and Poehling one more year older

Reactions: Tyson

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Dvorak is a product of Marner, Tkachuck, Domi ect. He would already be a top center for the Coyotes if he had all that skill.

Trust the kids. MB used 3 1st on Suzuki,KK and Poehling so let them play. Evans is the only player developed by Laval in the last few years let's give him a chance as well.

If they fail we can always flip Perreault or Armia back at center.

Reactions: Dutronc

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I bet you feel different if the Habs didn't rush KK. Would have been much better to keep him away from the NHL in his age 18 and 19 years. Imagine what you would have to project in this case.

* Two WJC tournaments
* At least one more Liiga season playing a bigger role. Could leave him there for 2 to work on his game with more time and space.
* Maybe one AHL year or half year at age 20.

Do you think the Coyotes are that low on Hayton? Habs rocketed KK from a bottom 6 role in the Liiga at age 17 to 3C in the NHL at age 18. Horrible management cause they had a center hole IMO
Rushing Kotkaniemi definitely hurt him. He needed to stay in Finland for 2 years and then come over.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Rushing Kotkaniemi definitely hurt him. He needed to stay in Finland for 2 years and then come over.
Agreed - but he never possessed that Eichel level offensive skill set to begin with.

Which is why I think he’ll be fine and end up a bigger version of Plekanec when all is said & done...which by no means is a bad thing

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Agreed - Poehling seems to be the forgotten player... I’m expecting a breakout season

Reactions: Tyson

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
I want a short term 3C option to give time to KK, Evans and Poehling to get into their respective roles. 1 year at a time max. And I don't want to give up assets. Thus, imo, Bozak is the logical option. I wanted Krejci, but not an option anymore.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
IMO, Bozak at age 35 won't get you any more value than what Staal gave us last year. I personally rather sign Cizikas

Cizikas is resigning with the Islanders, Lou does this where he has contracts agreed to but not submitted to the league so he has more cap flexibility in the off-season.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I voted for Dvorak and am seeing that he's leading.

However, he would most definitely be the 2C on this team.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I voted for Dvorak and am seeing that he's leading.

However, he would most definitely be the 2C on this team.
I think the 5 vs 5 minutes would be evenly spread between Suzuki, KK and him. The difference is that Dvorak would split the more difficult defensive minutes with Suzuki and would take a lot of the defensive zone faceoffs. KK would get the more classic third line matchups.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I don’t think you should take yourself very seriously when it comes to player evaluations. I think you are missing the mark wildly on both claims.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Cizikas is resigning with the Islanders, Lou does this where he has contracts agreed to but not submitted to the league so he has more cap flexibility in the off-season.

Unless I'm missing something, isn't it against the players best interest to do that? What if he gets seriously hurt in the meantime?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $80.00