Speculation: Which third line center (3C) would you prefer?

Which third line center (3C) would you prefer?

• Total voters

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
I've always been curious who the "2nd" turned out to be. Wasn't it Subban?

Good question! Either Subban (2007) or Kristo (2008). Ryder scored 30 goals the year Subban was drafted so maybe it was Kristo. Although it seemed like the Ryder+Halak+2nd proposals were going on for multiple years so it could have been both Subban and Kristo.

The remastered version of that proposal is now Drouin, Harris and a 2nd.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It’s rumoured that Czikas is already signed, they just haven’t announced it yet, we’ll see:

The funny part is teams know how much cap space he has. If Lou is trying to make a trade, his cap space is not an issue with the team he is trading with. He's probably in on Taraskenko and wants retention. If I was the Blues, I'd say sure... what you giving me in value for that retention on top of our agreed deal?

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Good question! Either Subban (2007) or Kristo (2008). Ryder scored 30 goals the year Subban was drafted so maybe it was Kristo. Although it seemed like the Ryder+Halak+2nd proposals were going on for multiple years so it could have been both Subban and Kristo.

The remastered version of that proposal is now Drouin, Harris and a 2nd.

Thanks I forgot Kristo was as 2nd rd pick the year after Subban. Haha yes, for as long as I can remember that was a popular proposal. If it was Ryder+Halak+Subban. I don't think opposing teams fans would have laughed at it quite like they did.

Oh nice, I haven't seen that one yet.

Reactions: Schooner Guy

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
We have many guys who can play 3rd line center.... Not so much 2nd line center. get Hertl from SJ. That would solve the problem. OR Dubois from Winnipeg.
Who can play 3rd line center? Evans? He barely played 4th line center last year. Perrault? Hasn't played center in years. Poehling? The last time he played center was in the A. KK? He's the only one and you'll have to brace yourself because of the backlash coming your way. The Habs need to sign or trade for a 2nd or 3rd line center

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
I think KKs a 3rd liner. Like Eller with more talent and less heart

It's so hard to judge with KK. He shows spurts where he can be a top 6 player. There were times this season where I thought he even looked better than Suzuki. Followed by other times where he looked like a 1st yr player.

Reactions: JianYang

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Who can play 3rd line center? Evans? He barely played 4th line center last year. Perrault? Hasn't played center in years. Poehling? The last time he played center was in the A. KK? He's the only one and you'll have to brace yourself because of the backlash coming your way. The Habs need to sign or trade for a 2nd or 3rd line center

Evans played 15:32 average min's in the last playoffs and you won't get a better test of his abilities than that. What's that to you? 3rd line or 4th line minutes? :facepalm:

51% corsi with 62% of defensive zone starts. Very impressive but he also got defensive responsible wingers as well.

He's ready for 3C minutes IMO. However, we all agree that we need more center insurance.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Who can play 3rd line center? Evans? He barely played 4th line center last year. Perrault? Hasn't played center in years. Poehling? The last time he played center was in the A. KK? He's the only one and you'll have to brace yourself because of the backlash coming your way. The Habs need to trade or sign a 2nd or 3rd line center

I think we'd be putting too much pressure on Evans if we started him as our 3rd line C. Most of the season a lot of us were begging Bergy to bring in a veteran 4th line C, since Evans wasn't cutting it. Add in his concussion history here as well. I can't see any of our other Centers being a good 3rd line fit, on a full time basis.

Agreed, IMO if they decide KK is their 2nd line C, they need to obtain someone for the 3rd C role. Hell even if they trade KK in a package for a 1st or 2nd line C. They'll need to obtain a 3rd line C.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Evans played 15:32 average min's in the last playoffs and you won't get a better test of his abilities than that. What's that to you? 3rd line or 4th line minutes? :facepalm:

51% corsi with 62% of defensive zone starts. Very impressive but he also got defensive responsible wingers as well.

He's ready for 3C minutes IMO.

To note though, his games where he had the most time on ice was playing as a winger with Danault and Gallagher.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
To note though, his games where he had the most time on ice was playing as a winger with Danault and Gallagher.

Lowest was in game 1 against the Leafs. Against Tampa, he played 16:46 in game 4 and 13:31 in game 5. Highest was 17 min+ when he was playing with Danault and Gallagher.

The line that he ended up on was with Byron and Lehkonen. Same line they used down the stretch when we had so many injuries.

If you can trust him for 13 and 16 min's against Tampa in the finals, he's ready for 3C IMO.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Lowest was in game 1 against the Leafs. Against Tampa, he played 16:46 in game 4 and 13:31 in game 5. Highest was 17 min+ when he was playing with Danault and Gallagher.

The line that he ended up on was with Byron and Lehkonen. Same line they used down the stretch when we had so many injuries.

If you can trust him for 13 and 16 min's against Tampa in the finals, he's ready for 3C IMO.

Not that I'm positive he can't be trusted. One series is just too small of a time frame IMO to make such a decision. Which is why I want to add someone cheap like Bozak. If Evans proves he's ready. It's quite easy to give him the 3rd C. If not, Bozak is there until he is ready.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012

That game 4 went into OT where Evans played 1:55 which helped his overall time on ice. His time was also increased by his Pk time. Even strength he was averaging between 10 & 11 minutes per game in regulation time as a centre.

In the regular season this was the average even strength time on ice for the Habs centres:

Suzuki: 15:02
Danault: 14:15
KK: 12:53
Staal: 11:57
Evans: 9:56

We’ll see if Evans can take on extra minutes as the Habs third line centre. I think there is a good chance he can but we’ll see.

jackeymoon

Tropical!
Jan 16, 2018
Northern Ontario
It's so hard to judge with KK. He shows spurts where he can be a top 6 player. There were times this season where I thought he even looked better than Suzuki. Followed by other times where he looked like a 1st yr player.

His inconsistency is why I made the Eller comparison. Lars had a 4 goal game then didn't score for like 25 games lol

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
How about you guys give Ryan Poehling a shot at 3C?
IMO that would be the smartest decision. If he succeed you have the position locked for many years or an incredible trading chip and if he fails well at least we will know what we have and can move on with another player.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
His inconsistency is why I made the Eller comparison. Lars had a 4 goal game then didn't score for like 25 games lol

lol not a bad comparison. I lost track of how many times I thought "Wow, Eller is gonna be a star" followed by "Eller... :( "

Reactions: jackeymoon

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
IMO that would be the smartest decision. If he succeed you have the position locked for many years or an incredible trading chip and if he fails well at least we will know what we have and can move on with another player.
No way they go with 4 centre's that young. No team would do that. I don't think Poehling is ready to be an nhl centre, nor do I think he's strong on faceoffs either. Just because he did fairly well in a very short ahl season against really bad teams doesn't mean he's ready for that role. If the habs had a solid 1,2 with an experienced #4 who can win faceoffs, then I could see giving him a try as the 3rd. But they don't.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not that I'm positive he can't be trusted. One series is just too small of a time frame IMO to make such a decision. Which is why I want to add someone cheap like Bozak. If Evans proves he's ready. It's quite easy to give him the 3rd C. If not, Bozak is there until he is ready.

I think it's deeper than just one series of sample size. That was just one example of others as to why Evans is ready for a 3C role.

However, if we stay put and make no other changes, I have my concerns in the team success department. I feel we took a step back in the defensive category which is a concern cause that's exactly how we were able to go on that run. I feel we went backwards in defensive ability and added a little offense. That too me means we are average in both categories which leaves us in no mans land IMO

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That game 4 went into OT where Evans played 1:55 which helped his overall time on ice. His time was also increased by his Pk time. Even strength he was averaging between 10 & 11 minutes per game in regulation time as a centre.

In the regular season this was the average even strength time on ice for the Habs centres:

Suzuki: 15:02
Danault: 14:15
KK: 12:53
Staal: 11:57
Evans: 9:56

We’ll see if Evans can take on extra minutes as the Habs third line centre. I think there is a good chance he can but we’ll see.

I think we both agree that we need more center insurance. I feel we all see it that way. But Evans is ready for 3C. I have more confidence in that than KK in a 2C role.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I thought the whole point of letting Danault go was to, you know, see what we had in Kotkaniemi, Evans and Poehling.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
I think it's deeper than just one series of sample size. That was just one example of others as to why Evans is ready for a 3C role.

However, if we stay put and make no other changes, I have my concerns in the team success department. I feel we took a step back in the defensive category which is a concern cause that's exactly how we were able to go on that run. I feel we went backwards in defensive ability and added a little offense. That too me means we are average in both categories which leaves us in no mans land IMO

Oh you just named the Tampa series, so I went with that :)

Losing Danault is going to suck defensively. Even though I'm happy we didn't give him what he got in LA. We haven't replaced that, so I agree with what you're saying. Which is why I'd be looking to add a veteran C like Bozak. He's insurance for Evans and he also helps us in the face off circle. He's also not a long term fix, so he's not going to block Evans and Poehling. IMO, we can't stay as we are now.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Dvorak is better on faceoffs percentage wise than Danault. How did he not go in the first round with ohl stats like that?

His draft year he only had 14 points in 33 games, the next years he played with Marner and Tkachuk and lit it up.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Oh you just named the Tampa series, so I went with that :)

Losing Danault is going to suck defensively. Even though I'm happy we didn't give him what he got in LA. We haven't replaced that, so I agree with what you're saying. Which is why I'd be looking to add a veteran C like Bozak. He's insurance for Evans and he also helps us in the face off circle. He's also not a long term fix, so he's not going to block Evans and Poehling. IMO, we can't stay as we are now.

I'm down with Bozak as long as he takes a 1 year deal at a low AAV. I have my doubts he choose the Habs in this case.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad