Speculation: Which third line center (3C) would you prefer?

Which third line center (3C) would you prefer?

• Total voters

smcgreg

Jul 18, 2013
None of your business
We don't need another 200' player, we need a more offensive C.

No, there is Suzuki and a stellar core of offensive wingers. With the suspect D and young C core, a reliable two way center is needed. If Suzuki is injured, the team is screwed. If KK can't step up, there is a hole.

CC will score no matter who is center. Hoffman will score no matter who is center. As long as Suzuki is healthy, he is an offensive, but two way C, so, offensively the team is better than last year. The question is on Defense. With a questionable D core, you need a reliable two way center to relieve some of that pressure. Things could be ok, but KK is a question mark and there is a lot riding on Suzuki and if he is injured it's a problem.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
No, there is Suzuki and a stellar core of offensive wingers. With the suspect D and young C core, a reliable two way center is needed. If Suzuki is injured, the team is screwed. If KK can't step up, there is a hole.

CC will score no matter who is center. Hoffman will score no matter who is center. As long as Suzuki is healthy, he is an offensive, but two way C, so, offensively the team is better than last year. The question is on Defense. With a questionable D core, you need a reliable two way center to relieve some of that pressure. Things could be ok, but KK is a question mark and there is a lot riding on Suzuki and if he is injured it's a problem.

All we have are 2 way centers. Suzuki, Evans, Poehling, and KK. We need a purebred, particularly during the season.

Because I think your Suzuki argument is right, but you are not looking at the right angle at all. Offence is the angle, not defence.

If Suzuki gets injured, we'll see Drouin at center. Want that? There is too much riding on Suzuki offensively, we have plenty of other defensive options. Evans, Poehling and Byron (later).

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Dubois is a perfect addition, depending on what we need to send WIN's way to get him (if he can be gotten).

Personally, I don't want to trade KK, not for PLD, anyhow. I would include Poehling in a trade for PLD, though. One is a confirmed version of what the other projects to be in an absolute out of this world best case scenario.

Beyond that, I'd include speed in Ylonen, a D prospect like Harris (who likely dreams of playing in Boston and might not be an easy signature for the Habs, in the end, anyhow) and a 1st round pick.

It's a big package, IMHO, but PLD is also the biggest piece in the deal, from either side.

For WIN, it helps add depth at every position.

For Montreal:

Anderson - Suzuki - Caufield
Hoffman - Dubois - Gallagher
Drouin - Kotkaniemi - Toffoli
Lehkonen - Evans - Armia
Perreault, Paquette, Byron (LTIR)

-OR-

Anderson - Suzuki - Caufield
Drouin - Dubois - Toffoli
Hoffman - Kotkaniemi - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Evans - Armia
Perreault, Paquette, Byron (LTIR)

Much more comfortable with this C-line if Suzuki gets injured. Remove Suzuki and drop it down a line and e're still comptine, at least.

smcgreg

Jul 18, 2013
None of your business
All we have are 2 way centers. Suzuki, Evans, Poehling, and KK. We need a purebred, particularly during the season.

Because I think your Suzuki argument is right, but you are not looking at the right angle at all. Offence is the angle, not defence.

If Suzuki gets injured, we'll see Drouin at center. Want that? There is too much riding on Suzuki offensively, we have plenty of other defensive options. Evans, Poehling and Byron (later).

I see what you're saying, but I still think differently. Evans and Poehling are still somewhat unproven for that position. Yes, solid defensively, but up to the task of 2nd/3rd line duties? KK ... who the heck knows...? The center needs to be a good two way player or he just a glorified Winger. We have plenty of offensive wingers now and the team will definitely produce more offensively no matter who you have at C. Again, given the suspect D, a solid two way (defensively competent) C is required for certainty. Ideally a short term deal that allows the kids to get opportunities to show what they can do, but short term two way certainty as opposed to more offense which has already been improved dramatically over last year.

I think a short term Cisikas would be ideal, but I don't think he's a short term option. So, I'm not sure the best option. I'm not a big fan of having to give up assets to get somebody and somebody with better offensive numbers would cost assets.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
With Dvorak, we are going to be very good at C. Dvorak is my choice, easy. I'd prefer him than Danault.

ML16

Aug 28, 2020
Montreal
I doubt that the Jets would be open to cut their losses with Dubois at this stage without first giving him an full season to redeem himself - especially since Dubois will still be RFA after his 5M AAV deal expires next offseason.

But the idea is indeed tantalizing; Dubois would be an ideal candidate for sharing top-6 C duties with Suzuki - and could, in principe, be expendable in Winnipeg, who could use Scheifele / Stasny / Lowry / Copp to build up their top-9 C if Dubois is sent packing elsewhere.

Looking at the Jets’ roster, they somewhat solved their lack of depth on D with the Schmidt and Dillon signings, but will likely be tight against the cap after Pionk’s and Copp’s renewals. They are also lacking utility players for their bottom-6 and already traded a few 2022 draft picks away…

In order words, the Jets and Habs appear to be good trading partners, especially now that they no longer are in the same division.

Acquiring either Copp for Lekhonen+ or Dubois for Kotkaniemi+/Poehling++ should definitely be an option to seriously consider if the Habs don’t want to take the risk of being exposed mid-season with an underachieving centerline.

This being said, acquiring a top-4 PMD should nevertheless definitely remain the priority this offseason.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Dvorak is a good option but would likely end up as second line center

I like him, but as you mentioned. There's a good chance he'd bump Kotkaniemi down to 3C. To me, this would be babying/coddling KK.

Personally I'd rather see Kotkaniemi given the 2nd C role. It's the only way we're going to see what he's truly made of. Give him the minutes, and give him consistent wingers.

Adding a player like Bozak, wouldn't change this. If it does, it shows me that Bozak is playing way above his head. Or KK has shit the bed, and wasn't ready for the role.

Same thing with Evans. Let him and Bozak compete for the 3C. If he wins, Bozak is a cheap 4th C. If Perreault is able to handle a 3C/4C role. Then there's no need to add anyone. Though from what I've read, that's the last thing I'd be banking on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad