Speculation: Which third line center (3C) would you prefer?

Which third line center (3C) would you prefer?

• Total voters

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Look at all the centers thru the whole NHL. Not much to get out there. MB might go for a short term solution like a Bozak (UFA) or one obtained in a trade like Henrique or Strome in Chicago.
He might, but I suspect he’s waiting for Eichel scenario to play itself out before going down that path.

If NYR acquire Eichel, they don’t have the space to extend Zibenijhad...

So there exists potential for a 3-way deal w NYR landing Eichel & Habs helping to contribute assets to Eichel deal in order to land Zibenijhad...

As the off-season moves forward Habs are one of the few teams w cap space (incl Weber LTIR) & willingness to take on a $9M contract - most other teams w cap space have internal cap limiting their maneuverability

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
The way he played for his new team, i wish Bergevin will try to get Dubois . His value is probably at the lowest right now, so best time to go for him. Sell high buy low.

Dubois is what the Habs need. He's good , plays a 200' game, is big and strong . He would be less expensive then Eichel and would give to Habs a very good duo of 1st centres with Suzuki.Then, you could put KK ( if he isn't part of the trade) , Poehling or Evans to complete 3rd and 4 th lines

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
The way he played for his new team, i wish Bergevin will try to get Dubois . His value is probably at the lowest right now, so best time to go for him. Sell high buy low.

Dubois is what the Habs need. He's good , plays a 200' game, is big and strong . He would be less expensive then Eichel and would give to Habs a very good duo of 1st centres with Suzuki.Then, you could put KK ( if he isn't part of the trade) , Poehling or Evans to complete 3rd and 4 th lines
Dubois didnt impress me at all during playoff against Montreal. I would be careful with him. I rather like to have Suzuki way before dubois imo. Even Kk i wouldnt be sure

Reactions: zeeto

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

Then why would Jets trade him? Chevaldayoff is an ultra conservative GM, who doesn’t “sell low”.

However, I could see a potential trade w Poehling in the mix, since one of Wpg strategies is to target good young Minny players, but there would need to be significant additions to the package, which I’m not sure MB would do

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
I think some may be a bit caught up on 2 vs 3 C. We roll 4 lines and the top 9 will play very similar minutes. Wingers in the top 9 are comparable.

We definitely need a vet top 9 C and KK definitely needs consistent minutes with great wingers. MB and DD should be able accomplish both.

I’d like to see a 1 year deal type guy come in, whoever that may be.

Reactions: 1909 and Habs10Habs

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
He might, but I suspect he’s waiting for Eichel scenario to play itself out before going down that path.

If NYR acquire Eichel, they don’t have the space to extend Zibenijhad...

So there exists potential for a 3-way deal w NYR landing Eichel & Habs helping to contribute assets to Eichel deal in order to land Zibenijhad...

As the off-season moves forward Habs are one of the few teams w cap space (incl Weber LTIR) & willingness to take on a $9M contract - most other teams w cap space have internal cap limiting their maneuverability

This is how I see it as well. I think adding say a Bozak type C is the way to go. But only after the chance to add Eichel has been removed. I think going after Zibby (Not even going to attempt to spell that name lol) in a 3 way deal with the Rangers/Sabres would be a solid idea.

Adding a 2nd line C doesn't really make sense to me. I think it's either we let Kotkaniemi have the shot at being a 2nd line C (by adding Bozak). Or include him in a trade for Eichel or Zibby.

Reactions: Beer and Chips

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Dubois didnt impress me at all during playoff against Montreal. I would be careful with him. I rather like to have Suzuki way before dubois imo. Even Kk i wouldnt be sure
he's the one that put Leafs out of the series the previous season.
I don't know why but it seems that he just didn't fit in his new team. It wouldn't the first time that a player just doesn't connect with a system or with the players.

Reactions: 1909

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Then why would Jets trade him? Chevaldayoff is an ultra conservative GM, who doesn’t “sell low”.

However, I could see a potential trade w Poehling in the mix, since one of Wpg strategies is to target good young Minny players, but there would need to be significant additions to the package, which I’m not sure MB would do
If the player doesn't fit with the team, he will see it and will trade him if the return is ok/good.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
This is how I see it as well. I think adding say a Bozak type C is the way to go. But only after the chance to add Eichel has been removed. I think going after Zibby (Not even going to attempt to spell that name lol) in a 3 way deal with the Rangers/Sabres would be a solid idea.

Adding a 2nd line C doesn't really make sense to me. I think it's either we let Kotkaniemi have the shot at being a 2nd line C (by adding Bozak). Or include him in a trade for Eichel or Zibby.

Apparently ‘Zibby ’ is looking for mega dollars in his next contract. Since we will have to have enough cap space to sign Suzuki and Caufield in the coming years, acquiring Zibby may not be feasible, financially speaking. The time to have acquire this player was when Ottawa foolishly traded him for a negligible price.

Jul 6, 2016
he's the one that put Leafs out of the series the previous season.
I don't know why but it seems that he just didn't fit in his new team. It wouldn't the first time that a player just doesn't connect with a system or with the players.

Yes Dubois was very good and was progressing in the last two previous seasons.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Apparently ‘Zibby ’ is looking for mega dollars in his next contract. Since we will have to have enough cap space to sign Suzuki and Caufield in the coming years, acquiring Zibby may not be feasible, financially speaking. The time to have acquire this player was when Ottawa foolishly traded him for a negligible price.

Yes I've heard he's looking for Eichel type numbers. So if we're in on Eichel, financially it shouldn't make a difference. I guess it would depend on if you feel he's worth the contract he's going to ask for. Oh that would have been great.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Gimme the talent first....can figure out cap hurdle jumping after, besides Zibenijhad makes $5.3M for upcoming season, and Chiarot’s $3.5M is coming off next season Byron’s in two seasons, Toffoi the year after etc

Reactions: Habs10Habs

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
If the player doesn't fit with the team, he will see it and will trade him if the return is ok/good.
PLD was traded in the middle of a pandemic season, there was not training camp, there was no regularity, it’s too early to say he doesn’t fit

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Gimme the talent first....can figure out cap hurdle jumping after, besides Zibenijhad makes $5.3M for upcoming season, and Chiarot’s $3.5M is coming off next season Byron’s in two seasons, Toffoi the year after etc
Yes, there is a constant shuffling of the deck but the salaries of Byron, Toffoli, Chiarot will have to be replaced also. So with a largely fixed cap one has to prioritize your spending. I like Zibby, but not at the price he is reportedly seeking , particularly when the cost of acquiring him will be considerable.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Yes, there is a constant shuffling of the deck but the salaries of Byron, Toffoli, Chiarot will have to be replaced also. So with a largely fixed cap one has to prioritize your spending. I like Zibby, but not at the price he is reportedly seeking , particularly when the cost of acquiring him will be considerable.
Which other team at this point on the off-season w majority of $ already allocated has the ability to absorb Zibenijhad’s paltry $5.3M in full (and is willing to bring in $) + acquisition cost for a pending UFA is unlikely to be that high given NYR don’t have leverage as their goal would be to free up cap space to bring in Eichel..

I should add Sens could be a huge wildcard, but note sure if Melnyk is willing to spend.

Habs are in leverage position - have significant space + pick / prospect combo to offer

Last edited:

Jul 6, 2016
Rangers have lots of good young skilled assets to give to Buffalo in a trade. Habs have a very shallow cupboard.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Which other team at this point on the off-season w majority of $ already allocated has the ability to absorb Zibenijhad’s paltry $5.3M in full (and is willing to bring in $) + acquisition cost for a pending UFA is unlikely to be that high given NYR don’t have leverage as their goal would be to free up cap space to bring in Eichel..

I should add Sens could be a huge wildcard, but note sure if Melnyk is willing to spend.

Habs are in leverage position - have significant space + pick / prospect combo to offer

Only if he can be extended at a reasonable price and term. Would you pay him $ 9 million over seven years? Regardless of the price to acquire and ultimately extend Zibenijhad, is he really the missing piece that would transform us into a contender? Or is he just another lateral move that serves largely to support a mediocre supporting cast while financially handcuffing us over the long term? Good asset management is a bitch.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
Nobody mentioned Pavel Zacha. He is now playing LW on a 2nd line in NJ because Hughes and Hishier have the two centermen spots.

Could be a good solution to pivot our 2nd or 3rd line. He is big, strong, good skater. And only 24 !!!!

I don't watch him, but what I got from the Devils' board is that Zacha is not good defensively.

crazyd74

Jun 24, 2018
Sorry to be pessimistic but I feel the reality of the matter is that MB is screwed. He dug a hole and can't get out.

The appeal MTL had on the UFA market disapeared quickly with Weber's situation and Price's injury. Despite giving all indications of returning, Perry left. Danault didn't stay either (despite the kudo giving by Staal). A promising roster is falling in the likes of a house of cards. Core players not returning casts a shadow that clearly has impact on our UFA potential. It is not a total lost as the Savard and Hoffman pick ups are decent signings, only to be off target from the real needs.

MB got into some hot water on how he dealt the expansion draft. If this has rubbed in the wrong way any of the other GM's, forget potential trades. Or prepare to be fleeced.

MB is not in a position that goes along with having been the runner-up for GM of the year.

How fast the apple falls.....

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

We don't need another 200' player, we need a more offensive C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad