Which Defenseman will be high on the Leafs radar if Nylander is traded?

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
Adam Larsson

Seriously guys, you can call him whatever you want, but Nylander is jut too damn talented. There is no right handed D with as much potential as this kid. If we trade him, everyone will laugh at us in a few years.

Reactions: Confucius

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
In what way are Lindholm, Parayko, Slavin and Ellis "awful returns"?

If you can get any of those 4, you take it, and thank them on your way out.
Have the car running during the negotiation in case they say yes. You can get away quick before they realize what happened and call the cops for robbery

Reactions: Confucius and socko

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
The Leafs should absolutely be targeting Tanev and Edler as a shut down duo. If you have any doubt, go back and watch last night's Panthers-Canucks game. They are absolutely dominant in their own zone, play big minutes, block shots and defend better than anyone on the Leafs roster. Acquiring the duo would make the Leafs Cup favourites.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The Coyotes would have been a great trading partner if they had a defenseman that fit the bill.

As of right now, I don't see many fits, if any, for a Nylander trade at all.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Yes that’s it, he’ll sit out....

Cuz they may not find middle ground?

Nylander has no leverage other than to sit out or sign in Europe.

If this is the line in the sand the Dubas has drawn, then Marner and Matthews will be re-signed before Nylander.

I'd like to see him sign a 2 year bridge around 5 per. Then they'll have a better idea where he fits in the salary structure.

Trading him for a d-man? Sure but not some 28 year old or 33 year old unless they're coming back with a couple other assets.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
We’re seeing that Matthews can elevate play in his wingers. So long as they have talent and speed. Kap is showing it, AJ could in time, Bracco might, Grundstrom, Korshkov possibly. Maybe even Brown and Leivo.
We know Tavares can do the same thing.
Mitch is gifted enough to drive a line.
Kadri can do the same.
Gotta keep a flow coming of those kind of secondary parts.
As much as I love Willie and would prefer he stay around long-term a deal involving a D who can play good minutes now, with some other projectable assets looks stomachable.
That’s why Carolina looks intriguing: Pesce, and a large number of nice secondary assets. Roy, Gauthier, Bean, there 1st. Maybe Rask, some other guys from there farm/NCAA.
No idea how it will shake-out, but there will be good options.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
We’re seeing that Matthews can elevate play in his wingers. So long as they have talent and speed. Kap is showing it, AJ could in time, Bracco might, Grundstrom, Korshkov possibly. Maybe even Brown and Leivo.
We know Tavares can do the same thing.
Mitch is gifted enough to drive a line.
Kadri can do the same.
Gotta keep a flow coming of those kind of secondary parts.
As much as I love Willie and would prefer he stay around long-term a deal involving a D who can play good minutes now, with some other projectable assets looks stomachable.
That’s why Carolina looks intriguing: Pesce, and a large number of nice secondary assets. Roy, Gauthier, Bean, there 1st. Maybe Rask, some other guys from there farm/NCAA.

The other team has to be willing to pay him what he wants the Leafs to pay him, maybe more.

How many teams want to pay him $8 per year?

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Willy's agent is going to huff and puff and then.... sign a 6.5-6.75 x 7 year contract.

Toronto is the perfect place for Nylander. Gets to be a superstar if he wants to but doesn't have the carry the load himself.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Add Trouba and you have the perfect list IMO.
To hear Jets fans tell it,that doesn't work for them,as all their top wingers and centers are better than Willy! If they continue their non-scoring ways,that may change. Back to back coming up so we will see.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

If Leaf fans think this is an option, you probably should just move on and consider other guys.

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
If Leaf fans think this is an option, you probably should just move on and consider other guys.
I think Brind'amour as a coach might be a good fit in Carolina, and building something. I am a Leaf fan and I think we are over valuing Nylander. Matthews is proving that now with Kap. It will be the Leafs adding to get Pesce if they want him. Big stud , right shot, defensive D , signed to a long term cap friendly deal, age appropriate. Seems to check all the boxes!!

Reactions: MinJaBen

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
To hear Jets fans tell it,that doesn't work for them,as all their top wingers and centers are better than Willy! If they continue their non-scoring ways,that may change. Back to back coming up so we will see.

The Jets are forward heavy and looking ahead to a a cap squeeze worse than the Leafs. They want a cost controlled D+ in a Trouba deal I think. Trouba is doable, but it would require a 3rd team. The issue is, is there any chance the Jets can re-sign him, because if so, they would let Myers go instead? Even if he might re-sign, would the frozen north premium be too much? My guess is the Jets know the answer.

Jets are in a Cup hunt so would be reluctant to reduce their chances by losing him, but Gards added might solve that from their POV as LD works as well as RD for them. Too bad Jake has no term or his value would be a lot higher but Trouba in for Gardiner would make the Leafs a lot stronger. Without Willie and Gards to sign, they can afford Trouba, but while TO isn't Winnipeg it isn't the US either so JT may have no interest in signing closer to home if it is still in Canada.

If they can't afford Willie then getting a RD makes perfect sense, although they will feel his absence, and I think that's already showing in Matthew's ES production. I would hope than they can do better than a marginal 2nd pairing guy though so if its Nylander for a D, make it a good one. I am not convinced they have an internal replacement at forward that will help AM's game.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Vegas might be a good trading partner.

one of Schmidt/Miller/Theodore + Brannstrom

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad