Which Defenseman will be high on the Leafs radar if Nylander is traded?

43Kadri43

Jun 15, 2017
I see people mention Manson a lot, and while obviously I can see the allure from a scouting perspective, is he really all that good? His advanced stats don't look that special relative to other top young defensemen in the league.

They’re very good, aside from this season. It’s possible he’s a product of Lindholm though, since his individual driving metrics aren’t particularly impressive. There would have to be additional piece(s) coming from Anaheim, obviously, but if we could secure Kate in addition to Manson I think that would be a worthy offer.

Again, though, I’d really prefer Nylander was not traded and is signed to a reasonable deal, and if he is traded I’d prefer to attach additional assets for Parayko.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Trouba wants what his fiancee tells him he wants .She isn't going to live in Canada .To the guys questioning the thread well we all want to keep Nylander but we sure as hell aren't payibg him 8 million to be the 4th or fifth best forward on the team .I get he thought he was goung to be the center piece of our rebuild but then Mitch exploded in JR and we landed Mathews and sorry Willy your not them .

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
I would be curious to know what Ritchie is asking for from the Ducks .They bridged their other 2 youngsters for a couple if million a year if Ritchie is holding out for 4 mill or so then thats great for us .

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
They’re very good, aside from this season.

I was actually referring to last season. This season is much too small a sample for me to have used with any accuracy.

It’s possible he’s a product of Lindholm though, since his individual driving metrics aren’t particularly impressive. There would have to be additional piece(s) coming from Anaheim, obviously, but if we could secure Kate in addition to Manson I think that would be a worthy offer.

This is probably an auto correct issue but who is Kate?

43Kadri43

Jun 15, 2017
I was actually referring to last season. This season is much too small a sample for me to have used with any accuracy.

This is probably an auto correct issue but who is Kate?

Yeah it is. Kase is who I meant. We’d have to add to Nylander in that situation I imagine, but I don’t think Manson is enough straight up.

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I saw Werenski mentioned in the Sun. That would be outstanding. We could then trade Gardiner for a RHD.

I feel like Werenski would make sense if he's plateaued a little in Columbus and stuck behind Jones on the pecking order. He hasn't exactly graduated to a glamorous numbers kind of guy as you would have expected after his rookie season. The CBJ could use Nylander to replace Artemi Panarin also.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I feel like Werenski would make sense if he's plateaued a little in Columbus and stuck behind Jones on the pecking order. He hasn't exactly graduated to a glamorous numbers kind of guy as you would have expected after his rookie season. The CBJ could use Nylander to replace Artemi Panarin also.

Werenski would definitely be one of the names that would give me pause if I'm thinking about trading Nylander.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Yeah it is. Kase is who I meant. We’d have to add to Nylander in that situation I imagine, but I don’t think Manson is enough straight up.

Kase is nice but I might prefer Comtois. We need more size and grit, and we're much less deep on the left wing.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

The problem with that idea is it would be very hard to pry Trouba out of the Peg before the end of the season. Not only that the issue is the Jets don’t need any wingers, they would only consider trading him for a 2C or young RHD (maybe).

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
The problem with that idea is it would be very hard to pry Trouba out of the Peg before the end of the season. Not only that the issue is the Jets don’t need any wingers, they would only consider trading him for a 2C or young RHD (maybe).

The real problem with Trouba is he's one more season from unrestricted free agency making it extremely unlikely that he'll consider a long term deal unless it's $7+ million.

Jawknee75

Jul 29, 2018
Nurse and Bouchard feels like a downgrade in skill for the organization.

I don't know, I look at it as solidifying the D for years to come. Nurse is on the cusp of hitting the age when D really break out (see Jones or Rielly) and Bouchard is a nice Right Handed, Large Bodied, Offense and Defensive Defensemen who may take a couple years to mature but a nice looking D for the pipeline.

I really haven't been impressed with Lilligren from what I've seen and well Nylander is great and all but he has done everything he's done playing with Matthews and I dont see him being the kind of player that has had stretches where he can carry the team on his back like Matthews, Marner and Tavares can. Goal scoring Wingers are easy to find going forward.

I'm pretty confident in saying by giving up Nylander its not like we're giving up a MVP Taylor Hall type

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
If the goal is to get a RHD who will reduce our shots against, matches the age of our current core, and won’t cripple us with his contract, the options are basically add to Nylander to get Parayko, which St. Louis probably won’t do, or get Carolina to add slightly to Pesce, but with Carolina playing as well as they are right now, they might not want to trade him.

That being said, I honestly can’t think of a scenario where we keep Nylander and have a competitive D-core next year, unless it’s a bridge or someone like Liljegren completely breaks out.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Nurse and Bouchard feels like a downgrade in skill for the organization.

No I think I would grab that and run. Bouchard was insane last year in Junior and he has a mans body already. Nurse is a bull himself, and pretty impressive on a collapsing Oilers club last year. The Oil would never take such a deal because they are desperate for D right now, not whenever Lily might be ready. The Leafs aren't a good fit. The Oilers want to deal, but would part with little except for picks.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If the goal is to get a RHD who will reduce our shots against, matches the age of our current core, and won’t cripple us with his contract, the options are basically add to Nylander to get Parayko, which St. Louis probably won’t do, or get Carolina to add slightly to Pesce, but with Carolina playing as well as they are right now, they might not want to trade him.

That being said, I honestly can’t think of a scenario where we keep Nylander and have a competitive D-core next year, unless it’s a bridge or someone like Liljegren completely breaks out.

How do you figure Parakyo is worth more than Pesce?

What I think absolutely have to do at a minimum is re-sign Nylander and let his value appreciate playing on this stacked offensive team. Let him take the next step offensively, and then make a move for a defenseman if that becomes necessary. It wouldn't make any sense to trade him at this weird juncture in time when people seem to have forgotten how good he is.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
How do you figure Parakyo is worth more than Pesce?

What I think absolutely have to do at a minimum is re-sign Nylander and let his value appreciate playing on this stacked offensive team. Let him take the next step offensively, and then make a move for a defenseman if that becomes necessary. It wouldn't make any sense to trade him at this weird juncture in time when people seem to have forgotten how good he is.
I’ll admit I don’t watch either of them too much, but both Parayko and Pesce have elite levels of shot suppression, however Parayko also has pretty good shot generation while Pesce doesn’t. By most microstats, Parayko is better

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Likely would never happen, but could kind of work for both teams.

CLB
Nylander (would play C there)
Gardiner (good chance could they re-sign him)
Brown

TOR
Werenski (LHD but would be great replacement for Gardiner)
Panarin (CLB won't be able sign him and we likely can't either but an own rental instead of Jake as one)
Anderson

At first glance the Panarin inclusion might look bad for CLB but I think it is pretty clear at this point he is going to walk, and there would be a good chance Gardiner would re-sign with them, which would make it worth their while.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
In another forum, I suggested Darnell Nurse for Nylander. I know he’s a lefty, but he imo, would be a terrific fit on our blue line. Now Hockeybuzz is saying that the Leafs and Oilers are talking about this same trade idea. Lol. Guess that ain’t happening!

Why is Hockeybuzz still a thing?

Likely would never happen, but could kind of work for both teams.

CLB
Nylander (would play C there)
Gardiner (good chance could they re-sign him)
Brown

TOR
Werenski (LHD but would be great replacement for Gardiner)
Panarin (CLB won't be able sign him and we likely can't either but an own rental instead of Jake as one)
Anderson

At first glance the Panarin inclusion might look bad for CLB but I think it is pretty clear at this point he is going to walk, and there would be a good chance Gardiner would re-sign with them, which would make it worth their while.

This is HUGELY in Toronto's favour. Not even sure CBJ would trade Werenski straight up for Nylander. Gardiner+Brown for Panarin (rental) and Josh Anderson is trade murder.

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
Karlsson only costs money at the end of the season. Think of him as an upgrade on Gardiner.

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
IF? Willie is traded? Willie is gone. His agent knows it. Willie knows it. The Leafs might score 300 goals without him. Let him hold out, he'll sign late November and be gone by the first of the year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad