Which Defenseman will be high on the Leafs radar if Nylander is traded?

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
I suspected this might be the outcome if this dragged out too long. Five games into the season and the Leafs needing to ensure their bigger, cornerstone players are signed, to me spells one outcome: Nylander will be dangled as bait to land a solid D man.

Though those who might be good fits are already being paid large salaries ,such as Parayko or Dumba.

So who do you all think would be on the Leafs radar?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Colton Parayko
Brett Pesce/Jaccob Slavin
Matt Dumba/Jared Spurgeon
Hampus Lindholm/Josh Manson
Mattias Ekholm/Ryan Ellis

Either side may have to add depending on the name

I don't think Spurgeon will be on the radar. He's the only one of this list where he could not be the primary piece in acquiring Nylander. He does not have enough value.

Gardiner-Spurgeon have similar value if we get a third team involved, or if Brodin moves to the RD.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I don't think Spurgeon will be on the radar. He's the only one of this list where he could not be the primary piece in acquiring Nylander. He does not have enough value.

Gardiner-Spurgeon have similar value if we get a third team involved, or if Brodin moves to the RD.

I'd rather take Brodin and move him to RD than take Spurgeon.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
It'll be fascinating how the NYlander camp handles this if it drags on close to December 1st. He can't miss an entire year at age 22.
And I do not buy for a second the idea he'll play in Europe and risk injury.

Reactions: Leafsfan74

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Ducks and Canes and Blues look like good trading partners, but all look pretty competitive for this season.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Hampus Lindholm would look perfect. He is young, on a solid team friendly contract, defensively responsible and still can chip in 30 points. Yeah, he shoots left, but I would do that deal 1-for 1, because he is exactly the kind of guy the Leafs need to solidify their top-4.

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009
In another forum, I suggested Darnell Nurse for Nylander. I know he’s a lefty, but he imo, would be a terrific fit on our blue line. Now Hockeybuzz is saying that the Leafs and Oilers are talking about this same trade idea. Lol. Guess that ain’t happening!

kb

Aug 28, 2009
None. Because the Leafs don't see their defense as an issue based on their style of play. Remember that Dubas is "bullish on this group".

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
If we do trade Nylander for a RHD, I hope we trade package Gardiner, prospects and maybe our first to get a cheap top 6 left winger. I really don’t want Matthews to play the entire season with Marleau and Kapanen, and Kadri needs some help on the third line.

Reactions: saffronleaf

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
None. Because the Leafs don't see their defense as an issue based on their style of play. Remember that Dubas is "bullish on this group".

What Dubas says and what he feels may not be the same. He needs new glasses if he really thinks we can win with this group of dmen.

Reactions: Leafsfan74

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Shea Weber would be near the top of their list.
I don't think many here would be happy with that.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
What Dubas says and what he feels may not be the same. He needs new glasses if he really thinks we can win with this group of dmen.

Agreed but I think he had to see what he has. Babcock won't play Holl, but he could help at least a bit. Or if not, they know.
There's still some auditioning going on, don't the Leafs have a bunch of cap room even if Nylander re-signs? They'll do something.
But on the other side of the coin, maybe they need to change systems?

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Colton Parayko
Brett Pesce/Jaccob Slavin
Matt Dumba/Jared Spurgeon
Hampus Lindholm/Josh Manson
Mattias Ekholm/Ryan Ellis

Either side may have to add depending on the name
Add Trouba and you have the perfect list IMO.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Shea Weber would be near the top of their list.
I don't think many here would be happy with that.
I don't see it from a value perspective unless they're adding pieces and retaining a ton of salary.

I figure Weber's worth a late first with salary retained at this point in his career

Reactions: EP40 AKA Lil Wayne

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I'm not saying I agree, believe me. We just have to face the reality that bringing the shots on goal down is not a priority. Stick checks, risky pinches, and long stretch passes to streaking forwards IS the game plan.

An insight into this was made at the draft when Dubas said, after drafting Sandin, "He plays defense the way we want to play defense". Then proceeded to draft many more small, high IQ PMD.

Last edited:
Reactions: Intact

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Agreed but I think he had to see what he has. Babcock won't play Holl, but he could help at least a bit. Or if not, they know.
There's still some auditioning going on, don't the Leafs have a bunch of cap room even if Nylander re-signs? They'll do something.
But on the other side of the coin, maybe they need to change systems?
If they want to bring down the shots against and goals against, they will have to change systems. But bringing those down isn't their priority.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad