Which Defenseman will be high on the Leafs radar if Nylander is traded?

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Parayko would be ideal, he's everything you could want in a defenseman, and I'd rather the Leafs were paying big money to him than Nylander given the strengths and weaknesses of the organisation. Unfortunately, St Louis ain't moving him.

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
Nylander for:

Anthony Deangelo + Adam mcquaid
Colton P or Vince Dunn
Darnell Nurse
Shea Weber Salary eaten by MTL
Ryan Ellis

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
reading thru this thread is laugh out loud bad. How about we keep the best player in everyones trade (Nylander).

Reactions: Nithoniniel

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
Parayko would be ideal, he's everything you could want in a defenseman, and I'd rather the Leafs were paying big money to him than Nylander given the strengths and weaknesses of the organisation. Unfortunately, St Louis ain't moving him.

I wonder if Parayko looks better than he is playing #3 minutes behind Petrangelo

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
My list along with their ranks in both TOI-QOC and CF-QOC over 1400 minutes in 2017 (obviously some are not available or unrealistic, this is primarily stats based).

Ekblad
TOI-QOC: 4
CF-QOC: 10

Provorov
TOI-QOC: 13
CF-QOC: 17

Slavin
TOI-QOC: 6
CF-QOC: 26

Dumba
TOI-QOC: 18
CF-QOC: 8

Parayko
TOI-QOC: 29
CF-QOC: 27

Nurse
TOI-QOC: 24
CF-QOC: 16

Ceci
TOI-QOC: 16
CF-QOC: 7

Ekholm
TOI-QOC: 19
CF-QOC: 11

Skjei
TOI-QOC: 27
CF-QOC: 14

Reactions: Havoc

43Kadri43

Jun 15, 2017
My list along with their ranks in both TOI-QOC and CF-QOC over 1400 minutes in 2017 (obviously some are not available or unrealistic, this is primarily stats based).

Ekblad
TOI-QOC: 4
CF-QOC: 10

Provorov
TOI-QOC: 13
CF-QOC: 17

Slavin
TOI-QOC: 6
CF-QOC: 26

Dumba
TOI-QOC: 18
CF-QOC: 8

Parayko
TOI-QOC: 29
CF-QOC: 27

Nurse
TOI-QOC: 24
CF-QOC: 16

Ceci
TOI-QOC: 16
CF-QOC: 7

Ekholm
TOI-QOC: 19
CF-QOC: 11

Skjei
TOI-QOC: 27
CF-QOC: 14

Ceci sucks.

Parayko, Pesce or Manson, with additional pieces added to even the value depending on who’s acquired.

Ideally Nylander is signed though.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Everything said about value here is what makes the Nylander + Brown for Manson + Ritchie , now it doesn't have to be Brown in my view , we have a number of younger players we could bundle , fact is we have too many mid level wingers and centers that someone else could use as depth or 3rd/4th line talent .

Reactions: The Magic Man

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
The other team has to be willing to pay him what he wants the Leafs to pay him, maybe more.

How many teams want to pay him $8 per year?
I don’t entirely know, obviously.
But, there are circumstances where teams make things fit, all the time.
I mean, off the top of my head maybe Carolina feels okay moving Pesce/Rask to make the money work?

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
If Dubas can convince the Sabres to unite the Nylander brothers, Risto. Worked when Flyers wanted to unite the Schenn brothers.

Ristolainen plays big minutes when he is better suited as a sheltered dman on the 1st PP unit. His defensive play is terrible and he is the exact type of defenseman we should not be targetting, especially when it requirws giving up a very valuable asset in Nylander.

Hes a good defenseman, but even less of a need than a winger like Nylander is. At least Nylander could benefit our Kadri line (or Matthews line) while being the catalyst for our 2nd PP. All Risto would do on our team is play beside Gardiner on our 2nd PP and be a worse partner defensively for Rielly (although that pairing would be great offensively).

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Trouba makes the most sense... considering for year he’s made it pretty clean that l he doesn’t want to stay in Winnipeg.

However he’s not a cost controlled asset... he reportedly wants 8 million? On his next contract.

Maybe he wants 8 million to play in Winnipeg for the next 8 years the same way Nylander *apparently* wants 8 million to play in Toronto. The asking price could be different for both markets

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Trouba makes the most sense... considering for year he’s made it pretty clean that l he doesn’t want to stay in Winnipeg.

However he’s not a cost controlled asset... he reportedly wants 8 million? On his next contract.

The $8M might be what he wants if he is to stay in Winny. His comps are under $6M but they could overpay a bit to better balance the D with the forward talent. He would definitely be someone they would need to talk to an establish his interest to be locked up in TO.

Im not really suggesting it could happen, but if the Sharks nose dive this year does Karlsson re-up with them? If the Leafs moved Zaits, Gards and Willie could they carry another $11M man?

Last edited:

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Josh Manson and Pesce would be solid, PK Subban for the entertainment value alone and the Montreal fanbase crapping their pants lol
I've heard that Manson's micro stats aren't that stellar though. He might just very well reap the rewards of playing with Lindholm. Pesce is great. PK Subban is in my mind perhaps the third best d-man in the league. I'm barely capable of saying no to anything that has to do with him.

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Ceci sucks.

Parayko, Pesce or Manson, with additional pieces added to even the value depending on who’s acquired.

Ideally Nylander is signed though.

I see people mention Manson a lot, and while obviously I can see the allure from a scouting perspective, is he really all that good? His advanced stats don't look that special relative to other top young defensemen in the league.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
The Jets are forward heavy and looking ahead to a a cap squeeze worse than the Leafs. They want a cost controlled D+ in a Trouba deal I think. Trouba is doable, but it would require a 3rd team. The issue is, is there any chance the Jets can re-sign him, because if so, they would let Myers go instead? Even if he might re-sign, would the frozen north premium be too much? My guess is the Jets know the answer.

Jets are in a Cup hunt so would be reluctant to reduce their chances by losing him, but Gards added might solve that from their POV as LD works as well as RD for them. Too bad Jake has no term or his value would be a lot higher but Trouba in for Gardiner would make the Leafs a lot stronger. Without Willie and Gards to sign, they can afford Trouba, but while TO isn't Winnipeg it isn't the US either so JT may have no interest in signing closer to home if it is still in Canada.

If they can't afford Willie then getting a RD makes perfect sense, although they will feel his absence, and I think that's already showing in Matthew's ES production. I would hope than they can do better than a marginal 2nd pairing guy though so if its Nylander for a D, make it a good one. I am not convinced they have an internal replacement at forward that will help AM's game.
You have a good perspective on the matter! Trouba's intentions are speculative at best to the avg. fan! Leafs would need to know what Trouba wants going forward if a deal for Willy was viable.
Gards,it looks anyway, is gonna walk for nothing,unless he is part of a deal. I doubt there will be money for him!
The double edged sword of the cap world! Become a contender and try to keep everyone happy!

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
Hampus Lindholm would look perfect. He is young, on a solid team friendly contract, defensively responsible and still can chip in 30 points. Yeah, he shoots left, but I would do that deal 1-for 1, because he is exactly the kind of guy the Leafs need to solidify their top-4.
you could always take lindholm and flip him for say, trouba, who is a righty(if trouba agrees to sign)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad