Which Defenseman will be high on the Leafs radar if Nylander is traded?

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
For what it's worth, here are some charts from HockeyViz for a couple of the right handed defensemen mentioned here. We'd be interested in the Isolated column as that their individual impact. The top graph is the offense they create compared to league average and the bottom is the offense they allow. So for example, Ryan Ellis generates 0.9% LESS offense compared to league average defensemen, and he allows 1.1% LESS offense compared to league average. Parayko on the other hand generates 3% MORE offense than league average and allows 8.5% LESS offense compared to league average.

Ryan Ellis:
sixfold-ellisry91-1618.png

Colton Parayko:
sixfold-parayco93-1618.png

Brett Pesce:
sixfold-pescebr94-1618.png

Josh Manson:
sixfold-mansojo91-1618.png

Matt Dumba:
sixfold-dumbama94-1618.png

Jared Spurgeon:
sixfold-spurgja89-1618.png

Rasmus Ristolainen:
sixfold-ristora94-1618.png
I would love Parayko on this team. Alas I think it's a pipe dream. It would take Willie ++ if St.Louis is even remotely interested.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
I think Leafs drafted well in Nylander. The part back should be a top-10 player in a draft, not someone passed over for 7 rounds.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Most of the focus is on established NHL defencemen, but who knows, it could also be more of a general cap-saving move/depth/youth move (with good upside of course to have a decent chance at getting a good player or players).

Take the Duchene trade for example. Colorado got Samuel Girard, a pretty highly touted NHL ready D prospect, Bowers (a recent 1st), a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, Kamenev (coming off a 51 point AHL season at age 20), and a spare part in Hammond.

So a guy like Girard... maybe not as exciting a name as Parayko, Ellis, Pesce, etc. But he's playing top 4 minutes effectively right now and has an ELC caphit, and Colorado is likely to get another ~2 NHL pieces out of that package as well, which will contribute at low caphits at first.

If there's a good enough young NHL ready D coming back that you can confidently project as an NHLer with top 4 upside, and then 3-4+ other picks/prospects (including valuable pieces like a 1st, recent 1st-rounder prospect, etc), then that type of trade could be a good option. For example something like Connor Timmins+++.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
If Nylander is to be traded, the Leafs must receive at least a 1st round draft choice and two roster players who are not stiffs.

Nylander is damaged goods at this point. The team having him, is taking a chance.

Who wants to pay full price for that? No one.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Most of the focus is on established NHL defencemen, but who knows, it could also be more of a general cap-saving move/depth/youth move (with good upside of course to have a decent chance at getting a good player or players).

Take the Duchene trade for example. Colorado got Samuel Girard, a pretty highly touted NHL ready D prospect, Bowers (a recent 1st), a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, Kamenev (coming off a 51 point AHL season at age 20), and a spare part in Hammond.

So a guy like Girard... maybe not as exciting a name as Parayko, Ellis, Pesce, etc. But he's playing top 4 minutes effectively right now and has an ELC caphit, and Colorado is likely to get another ~2 NHL pieces out of that package as well, which will contribute at low caphits at first.

If there's a good enough young NHL ready D coming back that you can confidently project as an NHLer with top 4 upside, and then 3-4+ other picks/prospects (including valuable pieces like a 1st, recent 1st-rounder prospect, etc), then that type of trade could be a good option. For example something like Connor Timmins+++.
If it had to be a prospect or someone outside of the NHL, I think Dante Fabbro from Nashville would be a pretty good name. Would have to be a massive add from their end though.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Until we know what Nylander signs for it's pretty meaningless even thinking of a trade. Other teams have cap issues and certainly don't want to parachute in an overpriced RFA.
Nylanders best destination....Leafs, and if traded,,,,Canes, Flames

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Why does Nylander have to be traded just because he's not signed yet? I would not trade him.

People who think that getting a top four D will make a big difference has not watched this team long enough. The system is a big issue. Look at a team like Boston, there is no way their D is any better than ours but they don't attempt stretch passes or flip the puck out of the zone every chance they get. They support in numbers and transition quick and use the stretch pass as a last resort.

Getting another D won't change much. It will just weaken our offense.

I am 50/50 about this system. On one hand, nothing goes faster than the puck so it makes sense to attempt to get the puck up as quick as possible because in the end, you win if you score more goals and we have the talent to score a lot of goals. On the other hand, a lot of these passes do not work and some of them get easily picked off for odd man rushes our way.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Shea Weber would be near the top of their list.
I don't think many here would be happy with that.

I'd be ecstatic about that.
But for Montreal to trade him to the Leafs, and potentially make them the juggernaut favourite to win the cup...noooooot likely.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
I'd rather trade Nylander for a LW than a defenceman.

If it ever comes to that point. Best case scenario is that he never gets traded.

Reactions: The CyNick

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
For those mentioning Timmins, he is suffering from a concussion that he suffered last Spring. He missed training camp and has yet to play any games this season. In fact, he just left Denver, presumably for a while, to go train back home. It is unknown when he will return to the ice.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
If Nylander is to be traded, the Leafs must receive at least a 1st round draft choice and two roster players who are not stiffs.

Nylander is damaged goods at this point. The team having him, is taking a chance.

Who wants to pay full price for that? No one.

Why is Nylander considered damaged goods?

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I'd be ecstatic about that.
But for Montreal to trade him to the Leafs, and potentially make them the juggernaut favourite to win the cup...noooooot likely.
At age 33, Weber is on the downside of his career IMHO.

We shall see just how many games he remains on the active roster now that he has experienced that tendon tear in his left foot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->