Which 5 teams will be the best over the next 5-7 years?

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
This thread is recency bias in action. A lot of the teams being mentioned are getting career performances from some middle tier players, some of whom are in their primes. Their fans are extrapolating this performance to 5-7 years from now, which almost certainly won't be the case.

With one or two trades or draft steals or a lottery win, a team like Columbus or Arizona could be in this conversation, let alone Buffalo or NJ who have stockpiled talent at key positions.

That being said, my no-brainer picks are Carolina and Colorado. Both teams have had a much longer road than they'll get credit for.

Last edited:

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
In an effort to continue to talk hockey with everyone I’d like to fire up a fun debate.
Which 5 teams do you think will be the best over the course of the next 5-7 years. Feel free to provide an explanation, if you like.
Here’s my picks. Admittedly, I’m an Avs fan, so take that in to account.

:avs

1. Colorado Avalanche: Elite talent up-front and on the backend. Along with elite prospects in the system.

:bolts

2. Tampa Bay Lighting: I might have them too high because they are getting a little older, but I think they should be able to sustain great play for at least a few more years.

:rangers

3. New York Rangers: Even without Kakko contributing the Rangers look pretty complete moving forward. If Kakko figures it out, they’ll be even more dangerous.

:edmonton

4. Edmonton Oilers: The combination of McDavid and Draisaitl is always going to be a problem. Edmonton may be a flawed team right now, but they have the defensive prospects to become a dominant team, soon.

:nucks

5. Vancouver Canucks: Petterson and Hughes are pretty close to as good as it gets, for driving play. Add Boeser/Horvat and it’s a talented mix moving forward.

Other teams I thought about putting in, were Carolina and Phili. Those teams both have very nice cores.

Edmonton will continue to be successful as the years go on, and as the cap rises. Draisaitl and McDavid are the best one-two punch in the league as it stands right now, and with more cap room to make moves I think we will see them emerge as an elite team. Puljujarvi (?), Broberg, Bouchard and Yamamoto will all be good NHL players (at least) and once Neal, Russell, Koskinen and Lucic's cap has been restored to the table, Edmonton will be able to add some great pieces. The key for them is going to be drafting well over the next few years.

New Jersey will be a top 5 team on the strength of their last few years drafting alone. Hughes, Hischier, a top 10 pick this year, and two top 20 picks this year (Vancouver/Arizona) will be apart of a dynamic core that will include good prospects like Ty Smith and Jesper Boqvist -- hopefully McLeod figures it out and helps them out. Cap wise, after the 2021 season they will be free of Gusev, Palmieri and Zajac's contracts (totalling almost 15m in cap space) and the year after Subban and Schneider (another 15m) --- they will have tons of cap space to make big free agency moves in 2021 and 2022, and by that point Hughes and Hischier will be a bit older, and hopefully their picks from this year will be NHL ready --- Gaudreau who is a New Jersey native will be a free agent in 2022; which would make for a perfect opportunity to give Hughes or Hischier an elite winger without giving much up.

Colorado is a team I can't imagine this list without. Not because of how good they are now; but because of how good their defensive corps is poised to be. Ultimately, their offensive corps is going to lose one of Landeskog or MacKinnon at some point (likely the latter in 2021-2022) but with Makar, Timmins, Girard and Byram on the back-end, its hard to imagine this team being anything but elite so long as they have Nate Mack upfront. My biggest concern for this team would be goaltending and secondary scoring; I imagine that once their ELCs are up guys like Makar, Girard and Byram are going to cost the Avalanche a lot and their already thin secondary scoring may fall victim to the cap crunch. They could be an elite team if guys buy-in and take cheaper deals, but the alternative for them is being a team like Nashville; good, maybe even great, but not cup material.

Montreal - I think its almost a foregone conclusion that Bergevin is going to do something stupid to try and keep his job. While there is some uncertainty with how the upcoming draft is going to all unfold, if they do it by point percentage that leaves Montreal with at worst 7th overall. IF Montreal manages a top 5 pick, they will add another elite prospect to an already budding group (Kotkaniemi, Suzuki, Fleury, Poehling, Romanov, Caufield) who are all team controlled for the foreseeable future. Boat anchor contracts in Weber or Price are excusable as long as both are able to play at an elite level, but Nashville will likely pay to take Weber back at some point to avoid recapture penalties, and Price is a prime candidate for a Seattle buyout; so the Habs have a ton of options to reset the clock. Outside of those two players, they have no massive financial investments (term or dollars) to any player, and have some good secondary pieces locked up for a few years (Byron, Drouin) with great trade bait opportunity in players like Gallagher, Tatar and Petry. If the Habs somehow manage to add a top 5 pick, they can either completely focus on a rebuild and sell the aforementioned guys for picks and prospects, or go for the all-in offer sheet to a player like Barzal or Pierre Luc Dubois this upcoming offseason. Imagine how different Montreal would look if they add a top 5 pick, a 1C, and then make a trade at the draft for a top 4 defenseman or make a big offer to a guy like Torey Krug? There is tons of options; but ultimately a good set of prospects, a ton of draft picks, and tons of cap flexibility means the Habs can go many directions, but I think inevitably they end up atop the Eastern Conference again in the near future (3-4 years)

Carolina - I honestly think this one is the most obvious; so long as they have an owner that commits to the salary cap every year, its going to be very hard to screw this team's trajectory up. Their only real question mark is goaltending; but they have one of the best defensive corps in the league, an elite roster of forwards that just keeps getting better, and surprisingly some great prospects. In the 2021/2022 season, the Canes will have Aho, Teravainen, Niederreiter, Trochek, Svechnikov, Necas, Suzuki, Bokk and Geekie. They'll also have a defensive group of Slavin, Skjei, Gardiner and Pesce, with 18 million coming off the books to add talent. I think their big question mark will come from if and when they can replace Hamilton, and who they can find to tend the crease. It would not at all surprise me if Carolina won a cup by 2026.

Honorable Mentions -

Toronto - I think they will run into too many cap casualties once Andersen/Rielly/Hyman/Kapanen/Johnsson contracts expire. Their defensive issues will only continue to look worse as time goes on and they lose cogs in the wheel. I wouldn't be shocked if they won a cup off the back of their offense and Freddy within the next 2-3 years, but once Freddie and Mo's contracts are up, the Leafs are going to be in trouble.

Ottawa - I think that while they are already looking like a very promising club, the fact that they very likely end up with two top 5 picks this draft makes them even more insane. Imagine if they got 1 and 2, and got Lafreniere and Byfield --- The only reason I don't have them top 5 is because I think so long as Melnyk is the owner, there will be issues in Ottawa. If there's one owner I think could screw up a core of Lafreniere, Byfield, Tkachuk, White, Chabot, Norris, Brown, Batherson, Brannstrom its definitely Melnyk; whether that be refusing to spend to the cap to get them the best possible free agents, or refusing to pony up the big dollars for your star players.

Buffalo - Eichel is great, Dahlin is great, another top 8 pick this year will be great --- not entirely sure what the issue is here, but that Skinner deal is going to sewer that team unless he figures it out. Seems counter intuitive to waste Eichel's best years rebuilding, but it realistically is going to be what has to happen. The Sabres are a mess from top to bottom and outside of two star players and some great secondary assets, the Sabres are really lacking that bright future. Adding Joker was a big move in the right direction, and some lucky lotto could change their trajectory entirely; adding someone like Lafreniere or Byfield into the mix certainly changes things. Buffalo will eventually figure it out; but they need a few more big pieces to really touch that top 5 spot for me.

Vancouver - I like what they have, but I don't know how much I trust Jim Benning to keep it afloat. Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat and Hughes are going to be relied upon to carry this franchise through some pretty inept management decisions; I just hope for Canucks fans' sake that the Beagle/Roussel signing were a one off and not a sign of what is to come.

Philadelphia - If there is a compliance buyout (Hayes) and they can add a pick to make Seattle take the player of their choice (JVR) then I think Philly could be an elite team, both with what they have currently but with what they have in the pipeline. They are fortunate to have a phenomenal young goaltender, great young defensemen, a mix of great young guys and older guys up front, and some great prospects yet to come (Frost/Rubtsov) --- JVR and Hayes have been acceptable this year; but ultimately what you're going to end up with is two 40 point guys making 7m a year making 10-15% of your cap every year --- kinda rough.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Our best players are better than your best players. Elite players are what wins you the Cup in this league.

Not true. There aren’t many in the league that would take Zibanejad over Couturier. Hell, even over Giroux or Voracek either until he’s shown he can repeat this season.

Panarin is the best player on both teams but the Flyers have more players in the top 5 and 10 across the two.

Crow

May 19, 2014
Rangers
Avalanche
Carolina
St Louis
Vancouver

In no order. Also 5 years or 7 years is a huge difference. I would consider Ottawa as a 7 year team. Hell any team can be a 7 year team holy shit. Even the Blackhawks could be a legit cup contender again in that time frame. It’s too long to predict.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Edmonton will continue to be successful as the years go on, and as the cap rises. Draisaitl and McDavid are the best one-two punch in the league as it stands right now, and with more cap room to make moves I think we will see them emerge as an elite team. Puljujarvi (?), Broberg, Bouchard and Yamamoto will all be good NHL players (at least) and once Neal, Russell, Koskinen and Lucic's cap has been restored to the table, Edmonton will be able to add some great pieces. The key for them is going to be drafting well over the next few years.

New Jersey will be a top 5 team on the strength of their last few years drafting alone. Hughes, Hischier, a top 10 pick this year, and two top 20 picks this year (Vancouver/Arizona) will be apart of a dynamic core that will include good prospects like Ty Smith and Jesper Boqvist -- hopefully McLeod figures it out and helps them out. Cap wise, after the 2021 season they will be free of Gusev, Palmieri and Zajac's contracts (totalling almost 15m in cap space) and the year after Subban and Schneider (another 15m) --- they will have tons of cap space to make big free agency moves in 2021 and 2022, and by that point Hughes and Hischier will be a bit older, and hopefully their picks from this year will be NHL ready --- Gaudreau who is a New Jersey native will be a free agent in 2022; which would make for a perfect opportunity to give Hughes or Hischier an elite winger without giving much up.

Colorado is a team I can't imagine this list without. Not because of how good they are now; but because of how good their defensive corps is poised to be. Ultimately, their offensive corps is going to lose one of Landeskog or MacKinnon at some point (likely the latter in 2021-2022) but with Makar, Timmins, Girard and Byram on the back-end, its hard to imagine this team being anything but elite so long as they have Nate Mack upfront. My biggest concern for this team would be goaltending and secondary scoring; I imagine that once their ELCs are up guys like Makar, Girard and Byram are going to cost the Avalanche a lot and their already thin secondary scoring may fall victim to the cap crunch. They could be an elite team if guys buy-in and take cheaper deals, but the alternative for them is being a team like Nashville; good, maybe even great, but not cup material.

Montreal - I think its almost a foregone conclusion that Bergevin is going to do something stupid to try and keep his job. While there is some uncertainty with how the upcoming draft is going to all unfold, if they do it by point percentage that leaves Montreal with at worst 7th overall. IF Montreal manages a top 5 pick, they will add another elite prospect to an already budding group (Kotkaniemi, Suzuki, Fleury, Poehling, Romanov, Caufield) who are all team controlled for the foreseeable future. Boat anchor contracts in Weber or Price are excusable as long as both are able to play at an elite level, but Nashville will likely pay to take Weber back at some point to avoid recapture penalties, and Price is a prime candidate for a Seattle buyout; so the Habs have a ton of options to reset the clock. Outside of those two players, they have no massive financial investments (term or dollars) to any player, and have some good secondary pieces locked up for a few years (Byron, Drouin) with great trade bait opportunity in players like Gallagher, Tatar and Petry. If the Habs somehow manage to add a top 5 pick, they can either completely focus on a rebuild and sell the aforementioned guys for picks and prospects, or go for the all-in offer sheet to a player like Barzal or Pierre Luc Dubois this upcoming offseason. Imagine how different Montreal would look if they add a top 5 pick, a 1C, and then make a trade at the draft for a top 4 defenseman or make a big offer to a guy like Torey Krug? There is tons of options; but ultimately a good set of prospects, a ton of draft picks, and tons of cap flexibility means the Habs can go many directions, but I think inevitably they end up atop the Eastern Conference again in the near future (3-4 years)

Carolina - I honestly think this one is the most obvious; so long as they have an owner that commits to the salary cap every year, its going to be very hard to screw this team's trajectory up. Their only real question mark is goaltending; but they have one of the best defensive corps in the league, an elite roster of forwards that just keeps getting better, and surprisingly some great prospects. In the 2021/2022 season, the Canes will have Aho, Teravainen, Niederreiter, Trochek, Svechnikov, Necas, Suzuki, Bokk and Geekie. They'll also have a defensive group of Slavin, Skjei, Gardiner and Pesce, with 18 million coming off the books to add talent. I think their big question mark will come from if and when they can replace Hamilton, and who they can find to tend the crease. It would not at all surprise me if Carolina won a cup by 2026.

Honorable Mentions -

Toronto - I think they will run into too many cap casualties once Andersen/Rielly/Hyman/Kapanen/Johnsson contracts expire. Their defensive issues will only continue to look worse as time goes on and they lose cogs in the wheel. I wouldn't be shocked if they won a cup off the back of their offense and Freddy within the next 2-3 years, but once Freddie and Mo's contracts are up, the Leafs are going to be in trouble.

Ottawa - I think that while they are already looking like a very promising club, the fact that they very likely end up with two top 5 picks this draft makes them even more insane. Imagine if they got 1 and 2, and got Lafreniere and Byfield --- The only reason I don't have them top 5 is because I think so long as Melnyk is the owner, there will be issues in Ottawa. If there's one owner I think could screw up a core of Lafreniere, Byfield, Tkachuk, White, Chabot, Norris, Brown, Batherson, Brannstrom its definitely Melnyk; whether that be refusing to spend to the cap to get them the best possible free agents, or refusing to pony up the big dollars for your star players.

Buffalo - Eichel is great, Dahlin is great, another top 8 pick this year will be great --- not entirely sure what the issue is here, but that Skinner deal is going to sewer that team unless he figures it out. Seems counter intuitive to waste Eichel's best years rebuilding, but it realistically is going to be what has to happen. The Sabres are a mess from top to bottom and outside of two star players and some great secondary assets, the Sabres are really lacking that bright future. Adding Joker was a big move in the right direction, and some lucky lotto could change their trajectory entirely; adding someone like Lafreniere or Byfield into the mix certainly changes things. Buffalo will eventually figure it out; but they need a few more big pieces to really touch that top 5 spot for me.

Vancouver - I like what they have, but I don't know how much I trust Jim Benning to keep it afloat. Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat and Hughes are going to be relied upon to carry this franchise through some pretty inept management decisions; I just hope for Canucks fans' sake that the Beagle/Roussel signing were a one off and not a sign of what is to come.

Philadelphia - If there is a compliance buyout (Hayes) and they can add a pick to make Seattle take the player of their choice (JVR) then I think Philly could be an elite team, both with what they have currently but with what they have in the pipeline. They are fortunate to have a phenomenal young goaltender, great young defensemen, a mix of great young guys and older guys up front, and some great prospects yet to come (Frost/Rubtsov) --- JVR and Hayes have been acceptable this year; but ultimately what you're going to end up with is two 40 point guys making 7m a year making 10-15% of your cap every year --- kinda rough.

I don’t think I’m as high on New Jersey. Hughes and Hischier need to take huge steps forward for them to crack the top five on this list for me. Other young cores like Buffalo and Vancouver have higher end young talent.

MacKinnon isn’t going anywhere imo. The Avalanche have their cap setup where several guys are coming off the books the same year MacKinnon needs his extension. I agree they likely lose some depth scoring due to the cap crunch in the future, but Girard being locked up to a team-friendly deal is a big help. They also have Kaut and Bowers coming as depth ELC players, but the cap always becomes an issue as teams become elite.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
If NJ makes the right hire at GM, which in turn hires the right coach, the sky is the limit. They have one of the better young goaltenders in the NHL with Blackwood, they have an embarrassment of riches with prospects and picks with near unlimited cap space. The thing that could set them ahead of LA or Ottawa is their depth down the middle. They could go into next season with Hischier (21), Hughes (19) and Rossi (19) as their centers for the future. That's not to say Ottawa doesn't fix that with two swift picks of Byfield and Stutzle.

Reactions: CaptTeneile

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
If NJ makes the right hire at GM, which in turn hires the right coach, the sky is the limit. They have one of the better young goaltenders in the NHL with Blackwood, they have an embarrassment of riches with prospects and picks with near unlimited cap space. The thing that could set them ahead of LA or Ottawa is their depth down the middle. They could go into next season with Hischier (21), Hughes (19) and Rossi (19) as their centers for the future. That's not to say Ottawa doesn't fix that with two swift picks of Byfield and Stutzle.

[Citation needed]

Reactions: Discipline Daddy

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
[Citation needed]
If Rossi, Sanderson and Quinn are drafted, here are the 23 and under crowd
1.) Hughes (18)
2.) Hischier (21)
3.) Blackwood (23)
4.) Bratt (21)
5.) Rossi (18)
6.) Sanderson (18)
7.) Quinn (18)
8.) Smith (20)
9.) Boqvist (21)
10.) Kuokkanen (21)
11.) Foote (19)
12.) Thompson (20)
13.) Walsh (20)
14.) Anderson (21)
15.) Merkley (22)
16.) Bahl (19)
17.) Misyul (19)
18.) McLeod (21)
19.) Okhotyuk (19)
20.) Clarke (18)
21.) Zetterlund (20)
22.) Pasic (19)
23.) Vukojevic (18)
24.) Talvitie (21)
25.) Maltsev (22)
26.) Bastian (22)
27.) Moynihan (19)
28.) Gritsyuk (18)
29.) Hoelscher (19)
30.) Studenic (21)
31.) Sharangovich (21)
32.) Schnarr (21)
33.) McCarthy (19)
34.) Pakkila (20)

The 34th player put up 14 points in 18 games in Mestis and 11 points in 39 games in Liga. Zetterlund, Talvitie, Maltsev and Pasic all outside top 20 played top 6 roles for their respective countries at the WJC. Moynhan and Gritsyuk will likely play next year.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
I disagree about the Capitals. Ovechkin is great, but that team always had good depth and few holes. They were one of the best in the league, but they choked often.

A comparison to Pittsburgh would be the model for Edmonton. I think as a base, you could say McDavid and Crosby are a draw, but I definitely don’t see Draisaitl as comparable to Malkin, so I think the Edmonton duo is worse.

That Pittsburgh team had better complimentary players than the Oilers have now. I wouldn’t rule out that Edmonton will win a Cup eventually. I listed them in the top 10. I don’t believe a generational player has ever not won a Cup, but that’s not a franchise that has done well with finding good complimentary players in recent years. If they did, McDavid would’ve already won a Cup by now.

Eric Lindros says hello. Ditto Pavel Bure and Alex Mogilny.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Artemi Panarin and? Zibby?

Great players, but Couturier's probably as impactful and useful as either (though Panarin is making that a stretch this year). Giroux's not young but he's not going anywhere. Jake and Konecny are a pretty tough 1-2 punch on the RW. Not to mention a mostly-homegrown young defense that is extremely mobile and quite productive offensively (top scoring blueline in the league, actually). Pretty good young goalie, much like the Rangers have.

That's aside from "our elite players are most elite!" or whatever, which I think itself is pretty dumb. Edmonton sucked ass quite recently with two of the most elite players on the planet.

The Rangers have some nice assets to work with, Kaako should emerge, Fox is real nice (he plays and even skates like Provorov). Tony D and Trouba, strong enough. But they don't have much depth to speak of yet, and they'll certainly have some growing pains--The Flyers over the last four years were bad teams with some elite vets and good youngsters who went on late-season runs to make the playoffs, too. There'll be ups and downs.

The Flyers are just further along in the process, though Lindblom and Patrick uncertainty is not ideal. The Rangers are interesting, but I don't think they're a threat yet, and there'll be a lot of good development and smart roster decisions ahead to steer the ship there. Just sayin'...patience. It might be three or four years before it all comes together. Could be wrong.

I would say at this point the Rangers four key franchise cornerstones are Panarin, Zibanejad, Fox and Shestyorkin. For the Flyers, I would say its Couturier, Giroux/Voracek, Provorov and Hart. I would say that the Rangers come out on top in the top end of our roster compared to the top end of yours.

The Rangers have developed some needed franchise cornerstones much quicker than expected, and also have the youngest team in the league and prior to the season the best prospect pool in the league. If someone like Kakko develops as expected, we add a fifth cornerstone. It could also become someone else like Chytil, Kravtsov, Lundkvist, DeAngelo, Trouba, Buchnevich, Lindgren, Miller. When you have the youngest team in the league and the best prospect pool, while also presently already having four star players, you are in excellent shape going forward. We already have the main ingredients needed because some players have developed extremely well this season. If we get anything beyond what is projected for some of those others, we'll be in even better shape.

I don't care if the Flyers are a better team now or have fewer holes. I concede all of that. I'm talking about what wins the Cup in this league. Thats elite talent. I think the Flyers will be one of the better teams in the NHL in the upcoming years, but I don't know that they have the top-end stars of some other teams, and coaching is a question, considering AV has a history of getting to the later rounds and choking.

Last edited:
Reactions: Saitama

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Panarin is the best player on both teams but the Flyers have more players in the top 5 and 10 across the two.

Not in my opinion. Even if I was to concede that Couturier is better than Zibanejad, which I don't concede, the Rangers have 3-4 best forwards, the best defenseman, and the best goalie. If we rank that as a top 8 (2F, 1D, 1G), the Rangers have slot 1 at forward, and arguably slot 2 at forward, while also having slot 1 on defense and slot 1 in goal.

Reactions: Saitama

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Eric Lindros says hello. Ditto Pavel Bure and Alex Mogilny.
Bure and Mogilny aren't remotely close to being generational. Lindros is close, if not there based on his package of skills, but even that is debatable. If we're talking generational, we're talking Gretzky, Orr, Lemieux, Howe, Beliveau, Crosby, OV, Hasek, and Hull.

That said, this is a different league than in previous eras. Just having a generational player doesn't guarantee a Cup.

Last edited:

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Does Columbus have a chance? Not to be the best per say but at least be up there?

Jones Werenski Gavrikov Peeke
Dubois, Anderson, Bjorkstrand, Texier, Bemstrom, Jenner, Foudy, Marchenko, Voronkov
Korpisalo, Merzlinkins

I think so.

I probably haven’t given them enough credit.

Having Jones and Werenski for the foreseeable future is huge for CBJ. Guys like that control the game.

They just need a little more elite talent up front, but having two studs like that on the blue-line is big time.

Reactions: longtime lurker

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
Ottawa could really rebuild quickly if Batherson, Formenton, Brown, Norris, and Brannstrom can all duplicate their AHL stats in the big league. With a bit more maturation they could be ready to slide into top line roles alongside Tkachuk, White, Duclair, and Chabot.

The90

Feb 27, 2017

Honorable Mentions -

The Montreal part of this is.... out there. Kk and poeling are not A prospects anymore. Fleury is decent. Not amazing not bad. Middle of the road guy not too end talent. Suzuki tbd same thing maybe second liner. No actual stars there, but good not great prospects (nothing wrong with that). It’s wishful thinking not to mention price and weber are a year older every year as well. Those are massive holes to fill.

Reactions: Marky9er

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Artemi Panarin and? Zibby?

Great players, but Couturier's probably as impactful and useful as either (though Panarin is making that a stretch this year). Giroux's not young but he's not going anywhere. Jake and Konecny are a pretty tough 1-2 punch on the RW. Not to mention a mostly-homegrown young defense that is extremely mobile and quite productive offensively (top scoring blueline in the league, actually). Pretty good young goalie, much like the Rangers have.

That's aside from "our elite players are most elite!" or whatever, which I think itself is pretty dumb. Edmonton sucked ass quite recently with two of the most elite players on the planet.

The Rangers have some nice assets to work with, Kaako should emerge, Fox is real nice (he plays and even skates like Provorov). Tony D and Trouba, strong enough. But they don't have much depth to speak of yet, and they'll certainly have some growing pains--The Flyers over the last four years were bad teams with some elite vets and good youngsters who went on late-season runs to make the playoffs, too. There'll be ups and downs.

The Flyers are just further along in the process, though Lindblom and Patrick uncertainty is not ideal. The Rangers are interesting, but I don't think they're a threat yet, and there'll be a lot of good development and smart roster decisions ahead to steer the ship there. Just sayin'...patience. It might be three or four years before it all comes together. Could be wrong.

I wouldn't make too much out of that poster you quoted. He was trying to make a case for Adam Fox being as good as Quinn Hughes a couple months ago, and then inadvertently admitted to not watching the Canucks given the timezone difference. Since then his opinion has carried very little weight.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I don't care if the Flyers are a better team now or have fewer holes. I concede all of that. I'm talking about what wins the Cup in this league. Thats elite talent. I think the Flyers will be one of the better teams in the NHL in the upcoming years, but I don't know that they have the top-end stars of some other teams, and coaching is a question, considering AV has a history of getting to the later rounds and choking.

I think the "elite talent" and "choking coach" comments are silly given that the St. Louis Blues just won the Cup and Andy Reid just won a Super Bowl.

Hell, Vegas got to the Finals with a pretty weird roster. High-end talent helps you win games and you want to have as much as you can get, but I think depth and good coaching get laughably overlooked.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think the "elite talent" and "choking coach" comments are silly given that the St. Louis Blues just won the Cup and Andy Reid just won a Super Bowl.

Hell, Vegas got to the Finals with a pretty weird roster. High-end talent helps you win games and you want to have as much as you can get, but I think depth and good coaching get laughably overlooked.

St. Louis is the one outlier in ten years to the trend of what wins the Stanley Cup. I'm not saying The Flyers can't win it, and I do believe they'll be a good team, but the reason why they might not be among the five teams someone picks is what I stated. I don't think its a reach to say that their top-end players aren't as good as the top-end players of some other teams.

Reactions: The90

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I wouldn't make too much out of that poster you quoted. He was trying to make a case for Adam Fox being as good as Quinn Hughes a couple months ago, and then inadvertently admitted to not watching the Canucks given the timezone difference. Since then his opinion has carried very little weight.

I normally don't respond to Canucks fans on this topic, but I'll make a slight exception here since you lied about my opinion.

I never "admitted to not watching the Canucks given the timezone difference."

That isn't true, or anywhere close to it.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I normally don't respond to Canucks fans on this topic, but I'll make a slight exception here since you lied about my opinion.

I never "admitted to not watching the Canucks given the timezone difference."

That isn't true, or anywhere close to it.

You said you don't watch Western Conference games because of the time difference (or words to that effect), in a separate thread. I don't really care, but you obviously should know that your posting history can undermine your opinion when you post conflicting things.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Toronto
- Matthews, 22
- Marner, 22
- Nylander, 23
- Rielly, 26
Edmonton
- McDavid, 23
- Draisaitl, 24
- Nugent Hopkins, 26
- Klefbom, 26
Colorado
- MacKinnon, 26
- Raantanen, 23
- Landeskog, 27
- Makar, 21
Vancouver
- Petterson, 21
- Hughes, 20
- Boeser, 23
- Horvat, 24
Carolina
- Aho, 22
- Svechnikov, 19
- Teravainen, 25
- Slavin, 25

These are my 5 in no particular order, HM:
- Ottawa (yes Ottawa with all those picks, Tkachuk, Chabot)
- Buffalo (Eichel & Dahlin)
- Florida (Barkov, Huberdeau & Ekblad)
- Columbus (Dubois, Jones, Werenski)
- Calgary (Monahan, Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Hanifin)
MacKinnon is only 24 man...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad