Which 5 teams will be the best over the next 5-7 years?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Avalanche: Too many elite players already in their prime or entering their prime not to.

Rangers: Same as the Avalanche.

Lightning: All their best players are already in their prime, but it’s not as if those players only have a few good years left. They also have the current most talented team in the league.

Leafs: I find it hard to believe they won’t figure it out at some point. Too much offensive talent on that roster not to, in my opinion.

Jets: Very up and down team of late, but Laine, Scheifele, Hellebuyck, Connor are elite players. They have the players to win a Cup coming up here soon.

Just Missed:

Sabres: This is my hot take. They probably won’t be good the next 2-3 seasons, but I find it hard to believe a team with Eichel and Dahlin won’t be a contender in their primes.

Penguins: Crosby and Malkin should keep them in the discussion, but with them getting into their mid 30’s, does the rest of the roster have enough to supplement two declining generational players?

Oilers: They have the best player in the world and also another of the best, but I think they still have too many holes on their roster.

Flyers: They are going to have a very deep team with no holes in a few years. The coach is a known choker in the later rounds and their top talents are very good but not elite.

Bruins: They’ll be one of the best for the next few years, but I think their top players are starting to decline already.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
They deserve credit for how long they’ve sustained excellence, but it won’t last forever.

Pitt has Sid and Malkin both 33, or older.

Washington has Ovi, Carlson, Backstrom, Oshie all 30, or older.

I think the older top-end teams who have a better chance to sustain success are the Lightning and the Blues.

The Bruins, Caps, and Pens most likely have a year, or two left in their contention window before they’re surpassed by quite a few teams.

You couldn't build a solid top 6 around Kuznetsov Vrana and Wilson. Orlov would be a legit 1d if the caps could use a left shot d on the pp. Samsonov is legit.

Dont forget how many good players top end teams pass and let go over salary cap.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
If we did this exercise 5 years ago (at of 2014-15 regular season), here is how some teams would have ranked based on regular seasons between 2010-15...and how they ended up between 2015-20 (in parentheses).

2. Chicago (18)
5. Vancouver (28)
6. Anaheim (14)
7. NY Rangers (21)
9. Detroit (31)
10. Los Angeles (23)
11. Montréal (22)
12. Washington (1)

This list reminds me when teams fall, they fall hard. Others may view differently.

Reactions: Juha

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Toronto
Tampa Bay
New York R
Colorado
Vancouver

HM: LA, Philadelphia, Carolina, Edmonton

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
If we did this exercise 5 years ago (at of 2014-15 regular season), here is how some teams would have ranked based on regular seasons between 2010-15...and how they ended up between 2015-20 (in parentheses).

2. Chicago (18)
5. Vancouver (28)
6. Anaheim (14)
7. NY Rangers (21)
9. Detroit (31)
10. Los Angeles (23)
11. Montréal (22)
12. Washington (1)

This list reminds me when teams fall, they fall hard. Others may view differently.
Where’s 1,3,4,8?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Bergeron aging out will be a major blow but Boston has been the most consistently good team for 50 years (not enough Cups but always up there) so I think that franchise should've earned our trust by now.
Even during The Cap - Trade Thornton - no problem. Trade Kessel - no problem. Lose M. Savard - no problem. Trade Seguin - no problem. Lose Thomas - no problem. etc.
Just can't bet against them being a consistent contender. A lot will come down to whether the culture of Bergeron, Krejci and Chara will be passed to the next generation but that hard-working professionalism team-first good contracts identity doesn't look like it's going away anytime soon.

For sure, that’s why I don’t think they will fall off a cliff like most teams would losing players like Marchand/Bergeron/Rask/Chara/Krejci.

But looking at their prospect pool/picks they would need a miracle to stay contenders in ~3-4 years.

If you’re lucky Studnika replaces Krejci but who replaces a top 5C in Bergeron? Who replaces Marchand going from a 100pt player to likely way less? No one can ever properly replace Chara and their prospects still not with the team look more like bottom pairing guys. Finding a suitable #1G may be the easiest and Rask may have a bunch of years left but he’s still been one of the most consistent in the NHL for a long time.

Those are some major, major holes to fill with no one really in place to do so.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
For sure, that’s why I don’t think they will fall off a cliff like most teams would losing players like Marchand/Bergeron/Rask/Chara/Krejci.

But looking at their prospect pool/picks they would need a miracle to stay contenders in ~3-4 years.

If you’re lucky Studnika replaces Krejci but who replaces a top 5C in Bergeron? Who replaces Marchand going from a 100pt player to likely way less? No one can ever properly replace Chara and their prospects still not with the team look more like bottom pairing guys. Finding a suitable #1G may be the easiest and Rask may have a bunch of years left but he’s still been one of the most consistent in the NHL for a long time.

Those are some major, major holes to fill with no one really in place to do so.

I don't disagree with that assessment at all. Pretty common sense to think they'll fade in 2-4 years... except that they've so consistently been the exception to the rule that I wouldn't bet on them not being a top 5 team. They've never spent more than a year or two in a row not being a competitive team and I fall into the - I'll believe it when I see it - when talking about their demise.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
Mikkola turns 24 in a month, has 1 NHL point and is yet to establish himself as an NHL regular. Scott Perunovich is a decent prospect similar to one just about every team has and has never played a professional game, he's also 21 and will be 22 before hockey returns.

I mean, the Blues are the champs and will be good, but you got your basic facts wrong, and other than Thomas, none of those guys have really established themselves as everyday NHL players.

No argument here. But I will say Mikkola looks like he’ll be a good player. Kyrou looks like he’ll put up some points but I got my doubts about him. Perunovich was a reach in the draft but Keith Tkachuk loves him and the Blues trust his judgement. Kostin to me looks like the guy with the potential to be a big impact player. He had like 5 preseason goals and then scored a beauty in the reg season but got sent back down. For some reason, the Blues want to make him a north/south straight line player when you can tell Kostin views himself as a goal scorer. I do not like how the Blues are handling the kid. Let the kid show his game, if it don’t work out and the kid can see it for himself, then make him straight line player.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
No argument here. But I will say Mikkola looks like he’ll be a good player. Kyrou looks like he’ll put up some points but I got my doubts about him. Perunovich was a reach in the draft but Keith Tkachuk loves him and the Blues trust his judgement. Kostin to me looks like the guy with the potential to be a big impact player. He had like 5 preseason goals and then scored a beauty in the reg season but got sent back down. For some reason, the Blues want to make him a north/south straight line player when you can tell Kostin views himself as a goal scorer. I do not like how the Blues are handling the kid. Let the kid show his game, if it don’t work out and the kid can see it for himself, then make him straight line player.
I like Kyrou (just trade for him in my sim league team). I was expecting a bit more from him this year, but there's time and sometimes it's hard for those middle 6 type guys to get a chance on really good teams. You either have to be a super talented young player (Thomas) or a grinder who earns coach's trust.

Like I said, the Blues will be good for awhile, and I'm not saying any of these guys are bad to have in anyway.... just that the guy touting them as an under 21 group was 1) factually wrong & 2) overstating their rank as young almost ready prospects relative to other teams mentioned in this thread.

Reactions: Bluesguru

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Ryan Strome as their number 2 center and no one in their prospect pool likely to be much better?

What happened to Chytil?

Besides, Strome is on pace for nearly 70 points this season. He might be mostly a product of Panarin, but if your 2C is scoring nearly 70 points, that's not going to be a liability to the team in the points column.

Reactions: bl02

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Oilers: They have the best player in the world and also another of the best, but I think they still have too many holes on their roster.

Caps and Pens were the exact same way ten years ago. Shrewd GM'ing helped surround Crosby with guys like Guentzel and Kessel, and OV with Kuznetsov, Wilson, and Vrana.

The Oilers have the same strong fundamentals that made Washington and Pittsburgh powerhouses for the last decade. So eventually they are going to be contending for a Cup.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Caps and Pens were the exact same way ten years ago. Shrewd GM'ing helped surround Crosby with guys like Guentzel and Kessel, and OV with Kuznetsov, Wilson, and Vrana.

The Oilers have the same strong fundamentals that made Washington and Pittsburgh powerhouses for the last decade. So eventually they are going to be contending for a Cup.

I disagree about the Capitals. Ovechkin is great, but that team always had good depth and few holes. They were one of the best in the league, but they choked often.

A comparison to Pittsburgh would be the model for Edmonton. I think as a base, you could say McDavid and Crosby are a draw, but I definitely don’t see Draisaitl as comparable to Malkin, so I think the Edmonton duo is worse.

That Pittsburgh team had better complimentary players than the Oilers have now. I wouldn’t rule out that Edmonton will win a Cup eventually. I listed them in the top 10. I don’t believe a generational player has ever not won a Cup, but that’s not a franchise that has done well with finding good complimentary players in recent years. If they did, McDavid would’ve already won a Cup by now.

Reactions: DaveG

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Our best players are better than your best players. Elite players are what wins you the Cup in this league.

Artemi Panarin and? Zibby?

Great players, but Couturier's probably as impactful and useful as either (though Panarin is making that a stretch this year). Giroux's not young but he's not going anywhere. Jake and Konecny are a pretty tough 1-2 punch on the RW. Not to mention a mostly-homegrown young defense that is extremely mobile and quite productive offensively (top scoring blueline in the league, actually). Pretty good young goalie, much like the Rangers have.

That's aside from "our elite players are most elite!" or whatever, which I think itself is pretty dumb. Edmonton sucked ass quite recently with two of the most elite players on the planet.

The Rangers have some nice assets to work with, Kaako should emerge, Fox is real nice (he plays and even skates like Provorov). Tony D and Trouba, strong enough. But they don't have much depth to speak of yet, and they'll certainly have some growing pains--The Flyers over the last four years were bad teams with some elite vets and good youngsters who went on late-season runs to make the playoffs, too. There'll be ups and downs.

The Flyers are just further along in the process, though Lindblom and Patrick uncertainty is not ideal. The Rangers are interesting, but I don't think they're a threat yet, and there'll be a lot of good development and smart roster decisions ahead to steer the ship there. Just sayin'...patience. It might be three or four years before it all comes together. Could be wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ironmanrulez

wabagee

Nov 24, 2014
This is the funniest thread I’ve read yet. I’d love for some sane people to chime in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad