Which 5 teams will be the best over the next 5-7 years?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Fox is VERY far off from a top 10D don’t be ridiculous. He plays less than 19minutes a game and is fourth on his OWN team in terms of defenseman ice time.

But you’re right I’m sure the Rangers are just morons and were playing Skjei more than a guy who’s “not far off” from a top 10D for unknown reasons.

I have to congratulate you. You've managed to show an absolute complete lack of awareness about Fox's role on his team. I'm not surprised because there are many of your ilk who boxscore watch, and don't have a clue about his ability. It's your problem, not ours. He's played like a 1D this season for us.

Fox is a rookie, and started out with a minimal role. He hadn't played a pro hockey game prior to the season. Rarely do players make that jump immediately to the NHL, so he wasn't going to start out with anything other than a minimal role. He also plays on the same right side as two very good and established RHD, Trouba and DeAngelo. There are only so many minutes to go around, and Fox is the rookie of the three. Of course he's going to start out with the least minutes of the three.

Almost no one disagrees that he's the best of them now though. For the past 23 games, he's played 20:56 per game, which is second among defenseman. Fox plays second PP and only recently second PK, so his PP and PK minutes are lower. His minutes in those two strengths should only go up as he further cements himself. He's first on the team in ES TOI/G in that span, and his role has elevated to the nominal first pair because he's the best defenseman on the team. Therefore, telling me that he only played 17:08 in November is irrelevant to his role now.

And Skjei plays on the left side. He was competing for a role with Staal, Smith, Hajek and Lindgren before he was traded. Thats two borderline NHL'ers and two rookies, one of which sucks. The Rangers have not once this season played a right handed defenseman on the left side for a full game. This is basic stuff. Skjei is in a different minutes pool than Fox for minutes. Could you not even bother to check which way they shoot? Now Skjei is traded and Fox is our best defenseman, so it's also irrelevant that Skjei had more TOI/G.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
You're in fantasy land if you legit think Fox is a better player than Provorov.

I cited an objective formula that calculates who plays better. You are throwing accusations my way of a lack of objectivity and being in fantasy land. You haven't once cited any objective formula or measure for why Provorov is better.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
I mean... DeAngelo is 24 and is in his 4th season in the league. Makar is a rookie.

Despite that Makar still had better point per game totals.

DeAngelo might do some things better than Makar right now, but to say he has all the same tools is a bit of a reach, imo.
That wasn't the point though. The point was that DeAngelo arguably had at least as good a season as Makar and many Ranger fans still think Fox was better, so suggesting that Fox had a better season than Makar isn't a ludicrous proposition (though I might not go that far myself).

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
That wasn't the point though. The point was that DeAngelo arguably had at least as good a season as Makar and many Ranger fans still think Fox was better, so suggesting that Fox had a better season than Makar isn't a ludicrous proposition (though I might not go that far myself).

I think there was a pretty wide gap between Makar/Hughes and the rest of the rookies, to be honest.

Fox put up 8 less points in 13 more games than Makar. I’m sorry, I just don’t see it.

Both DeAngelo and Fox are really good players, but their is no chance I’d trade Makar for either of them.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
I think there was a pretty wide gap between Makar/Hughes and the rest of the rookies, to be honest.

Fox put up 8 less points in 13 more games than Makar. I’m sorry, I just don’t see it.

Both DeAngelo and Fox are really good players, but their is no chance I’d trade Makar for either of them.
Makar played 3:30/game on the Avs PP1 and spent half his 5v5 TOI with MacKinnon. Fox was on the PP2 virtually the whole season and had much more balanced matchups, yet he drove play and goal differential at significantly higher levels than Makar and above Hughes as well.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Makar played 3:30/game on the Avs PP1 and spent half his 5v5 TOI with MacKinnon. Fox was on the PP2 virtually the whole season and had much more balanced matchups, yet he drove play and goal differential at significantly higher levels than Makar and above Hughes as well.

And the Rangers have no talented offensive players? The two teams scored the same amount of goals this year.

And yeah, Makar is not a play-driver. He just skates around out there and leaches off MacKinnon. Oh wait. The first game Makar was back from injury and MacKinnon was out, Makar put up 3 points. Probably just a fluke.

Did you see the injuries the Avalanche had this year? Half the damn roster was out. Fox absolutely played with a more talented team this year, than Makar did.

EDIT: And Makar had 6 more PP points than Fox this year. It’s not a vast difference. More of Makar’s offence came at even strength. You’re also not factoring in the games Makar missed by simply citing PP TOI. Makar only played 57 games. Fox played 70.

Last edited:

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Boston fans have been hearing this for the past 3 plus seasons.

Yep.
And if there's a team that's proven capable of filling great players leaving it's Boston. You look at Boston and think of the talent they've had to replace over the past 15 years and it's crazy. Until they actually fall off a cliff in the standings - I won't believe it. They're a team that somehow magically finds star players late, an attractive place for FAs, a big market Cap spending team that gets their players on great contracts, and a team that's willing to make big moves to make their team competitive and a team that wants to win.

3-4 years ago people thought their defence would be done. Seidenberg was torched. Boychuk traded. Chara old. Krug too small and not that good. Hamilton traded. Guys like Trotman and C. Miller on the top pairing. etc. yet they have one of the best defences in the league and some great young talent back there.

I'm not saying they'll always be up there - but I wouldn't bet against them.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Boston fans have been hearing this for the past 3 plus seasons.

3 plus seasons ago they were all in their 20's except for Chara. No one can beat aging forever, and I don't see any future Bergeron or Marchand in Boston's prospect pool ready to step up and fill those shoes. They might still be a playoff team for a while, but not a contender without big moves or getting lucky with a home run in the draft.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
3 plus seasons ago they were all in their 20's except for Chara. No one can beat aging forever, and I don't see any future Bergeron or Marchand in Boston's prospect pool ready to step up and fill those shoes. They might still be a playoff team for a while, but not a contender without big moves or getting lucky with a home run in the draft.

Three years ago, i read more than a few opinions on this site on how Bergeron and Krejci were " on the wrong side of 30 " ( krejci was 30, bergeron 31 ). The demise never happened.

Bruins have a current young core that will still be around and doing well for the time period outlined by the OP. Bruins have one of the best bluelines in the league and after Chara, nobody in the regular rotation is over 28 years old.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
In an effort to continue to talk hockey with everyone I’d like to fire up a fun debate.
Which 5 teams do you think will be the best over the course of the next 5-7 years. Feel free to provide an explanation, if you like.
Here’s my picks. Admittedly, I’m an Avs fan, so take that in to account.

:avs

1. Colorado Avalanche: Elite talent up-front and on the backend. Along with elite prospects in the system.

:bolts

2. Tampa Bay Lighting: I might have them too high because they are getting a little older, but I think they should be able to sustain great play for at least a few more years.

:rangers

3. New York Rangers: Even without Kakko contributing the Rangers look pretty complete moving forward. If Kakko figures it out, they’ll be even more dangerous.

:edmonton

4. Edmonton Oilers: The combination of McDavid and Draisaitl is always going to be a problem. Edmonton may be a flawed team right now, but they have the defensive prospects to become a dominant team, soon.

:nucks

5. Vancouver Canucks: Petterson and Hughes are pretty close to as good as it gets, for driving play. Add Boeser/Horvat and it’s a talented mix moving forward.

Other teams I thought about putting in, were Carolina and Phili. Those teams both have very nice cores.

No sold on NY Rangers yet. Maybe replace with Philadelphia. They still have Frost coming and when Patrick gets better they will be solid

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
Three years ago, i read more than a few opinions on this site on how Bergeron and Krejci were " on the wrong side of 30 " ( krejci was 30, bergeron 31 ). The demise never happened.

Bruins have a current young core that will still be around and doing well for the time period outlined by the OP. Bruins have one of the best bluelines in the league and after Chara, nobody in the regular rotation is over 28 years old.

Reality is gonna hit you guys hard.

Reactions: sharks9

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
I would break it down into next 3, then 4-7.

Next 3: Washington, Pittsburgh, Tampa, St. Louis and Vegas still have the stars who will be near enough to their peaks.

4-7 years: Colorado, NYR, Philadelphia, Carolina, and I would throw in LA as they might have 3 top young centers and two goal-scoring wingers.
If LA is considered for young top centers - wouldnt Jersey go before them with two 1st overalls at center?

Reactions: CaptTeneile

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
Rangers
Avalanche
Carolina
St Louis
Vancouver

In no order. Also 5 years or 7 years is a huge difference. I would consider Ottawa as a 7 year team. Hell any team can be a 7 year team holy shit. Even the Blackhawks could be a legit cup contender again in that time frame. It’s too long to predict.

I think the Hawks could be very good. They are going to get a legit player this year in Holtz,Perfetti, Lundell, Rossi? or maybe future star goalie in Askarov and already have youngsters like Dach, Dcat, Kubalik, Strome and then the core of Toews, Kane,Saad and the young Dmen in Boqy, Mitchell, Beaudin, Carlsson, Vlasic. they just need a few others like Barrett or Kurashev to pan out and with the season ending early and CAP probably staying same maybe a compliance buyout and Seabrook could be bought out which would be a game changer

Last edited:
Reactions: Crow

Crow

May 19, 2014
I think the Hawks could be very good. They are going to get a legit player this year in Holtz,Perfetti, Lundell, Rossi? or maybe future star goalie in Askarov and already have youngsters like Dach, Dcat, Kubalik, Strome and then the core of Toews, Kane,Saad and the young Dmen in Boqy, Mitchell, Beaudin, Carlsson, Vlasic. they just need a few others like Barrett or Kurashev to pan out
I do too. I just think those teams I listed have an even better chance. Hawks need a lot of prospects to play to their potential pretty early in their careers for everything to come together for another run and that often doesn’t happen, though they are very good prospects.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada

So you think it'll never happen? Bergeron, Marchand, and Krejci will still be playing at 40?

Other than Pastrnak, who's elite and under 30 at forward? Isn't Krug likely to walk as a FA this year? Him and Chara leaving would be your #2&3 D in terms of ice time.

Boston might still be a playoff team 5 years from now, but they won't be elite.

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
Ill pick 6

In five years, Jersey NYR and Buffalo for East. Edmonton Vancouver and Arizona for West

Reactions: MitchMurphy

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
Neither one of them have really played like a first overall talent tbh
Theyre 18 and 20 and have been on terrible teams

Im not concerned nor do I worry about their play vs their peers.

Though a curious question - if Hischier, Hughes, or any 1st overall doesnt play to 1st overall lever BUT are the best of their draft - is that the same as a bust? Not so much tied to either Devil but a random question I just thought of

CornerStone61

Apr 13, 2015
Surprised there's not a lot of people saying Ottawa. 3 picks in the first round this draft with 2 likely in the top 5 in addition to the glut of good prospects they already have.

They're gonna be nasty in 5-7 years

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles

Father time has his way with us all. Regardless of whether the pundits' predication haven't occurred as quickly as previously thought, doesn't mean the fall isn't coming. You may have a decent young core moving forward but the loss/diminished play of Marchand, Bergeron, Chara, Krejci, and potentially Rask will take its toll on the Bruins. Don't pretend that it won't.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
So you think it'll never happen? Bergeron, Marchand, and Krejci will still be playing at 40?

Other than Pastrnak, who's elite and under 30 at forward? Isn't Krug likely to walk as a FA this year? Him and Chara leaving would be your #2&3 D in terms of ice time.

Boston might still be a playoff team 5 years from now, but they won't be elite.
I see a slow decline though. Like detroit after their streak

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
In an effort to continue to talk hockey with everyone I’d like to fire up a fun debate.
Which 5 teams do you think will be the best over the course of the next 5-7 years. Feel free to provide an explanation, if you like.
Here’s my picks. Admittedly, I’m an Avs fan, so take that in to account.

:avs

1. Colorado Avalanche: Elite talent up-front and on the backend. Along with elite prospects in the system.

:bolts

2. Tampa Bay Lighting: I might have them too high because they are getting a little older, but I think they should be able to sustain great play for at least a few more years.

:rangers

3. New York Rangers: Even without Kakko contributing the Rangers look pretty complete moving forward. If Kakko figures it out, they’ll be even more dangerous.

:edmonton

4. Edmonton Oilers: The combination of McDavid and Draisaitl is always going to be a problem. Edmonton may be a flawed team right now, but they have the defensive prospects to become a dominant team, soon.

:nucks

5. Vancouver Canucks: Petterson and Hughes are pretty close to as good as it gets, for driving play. Add Boeser/Horvat and it’s a talented mix moving forward.

Other teams I thought about putting in, were Carolina and Phili. Those teams both have very nice cores.
I think the Avs, Nucks, Rangers Sabres and Flyers will be dominating in that time frame. IMO Nucks and Avs will be the cream of the crop. Both have the hard to get #1 D and #1 C. Avs with Landy and Miko Kadri along with some good depth are further ahead ATM. Nucks have the highest ranked prospect pool of all playoff teams and if TT is resigned along with Marky and Tanev, while a few of the prospects on D Tram, Joulevi (who I watched every game and if healthy is a lock to become a top 4 player) and maybe Rafferty or Rathbone can replace Benn Stech and Fanta that could be pretty big since those 3 had terrible year's for the Nucks. Next summer Podz should jump right in and Hogs and Lind as well maybe sooner.

Sabres have so many good Pieces, they need a good couple of drafts and for their prospects to finally pan out but any team with that young core, has a chance.

Looking further ahead, my God the Sens have a chance to become really really good if they dont mess up this draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad