Which 5 teams will be the best over the next 5-7 years?

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
My bad on Mikkola. Everything elsecI said is true. Kyrou and Kostin haven’t been given opportunities yet because of the depth of the team. Kyrou was starting to get regular time but Tarasenko is now ready, so not sure if that would continue. Kyrou and Kostin are both top 6 talent

Dude-
Kyrou- 21, will be 22 in May
Thomas- 20 (under 21, will be 21 in July)
Kostin- 20 (under 21, will be 21 in May)
Mikkola- 23 will be 24 in April
Perunovich- 21 will be 22 in August

You named 5 guys as "under 21". At best you are correct on 40% of them and by the time training camp starts you'd be at 0%.

I mean if you can't get the basic objective facts down than the subjective stuff becomes even more questionable. The Blues will be really good again next year, it's just that your facts are wrong with these specific players.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I know people are bored with this but very likely the Pens and Caps are going to be contenders going forward. The reason good teams are good is because they are well run. They will find a way.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Dude-
Kyrou- 21, will be 22 in May
Thomas- 20 (under 21, will be 21 in July)
Kostin- 20 (under 21, will be 21 in May)
Mikkola- 23 will be 24 in April
Perunovich- 21 will be 22 in August

You named 5 guys as "under 21". At best you are correct on 40% of them and by the time training camp starts you'd be at 0%.

I mean if you can't get the basic objective facts down than the subjective stuff becomes even more questionable. The Blues will be really good again next year, it's just that your facts are wrong with these specific players.

If I would have said 21 or under instead of under 21, what would be your argument?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I know people are bored with this but very likely the Pens and Caps are going to be contenders going forward. The reason good teams are good is because they are well run. They will find a way.
Both teams have been good for so long they have forgotten how many bad seasons it took for them,you dont draft HOF players like Crosby,Malkin,Ovie ETC just overnight... It can literally take decades

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Both teams have been good for so long they have forgotten how many bad seasons it took for them,you dont draft HOF players like Crosby,Malkin,Ovie ETC just overnight... It can literally take decades

How many bad season did the Capitals have between Jagr missing the playoffs and Ov making them?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
How many bad season did the Capitals have between Jagr missing the playoffs and Ov making them?
How many great ones did they have???You need special players to have special seasons...Getting them is the problem,you think once Washington rebuilds they will automatically get an Ovie level player...Now think of Pittsburgh,what do you think the chances of them getting not one superstar center but two,within a couple of seasons after they retire...The odds are slim,is more of what Iam saying

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I think it's cute how people think their elite teams won't fall off a cliff in a year or two, it won't happen to some, but it will happen to most, circle of life, etc etc.

I think it's as equally cute how fans of bad teams think they'll skyrocket into the future as if karma will sort it out.

Washington, Pittsburgh and Boston have been atop the Eastern Conference for a dozen years while Florida, Toronto, Carolina, Buffalo and Columbus have generally sucked.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Best 5 teams for over the next five years (2020-25):

1. Colorado
2. St. Louis
3. Tampa
4. Boston
5. Philadelphia
(dark horse: Carolina and Florida)

Best 5 teams in five years (2024-25):

1. Carolina
2. Montreal
3. Philadelphia
4. New Jersey
5. Vancouver
(dark horse: Anaheim and Ottawa)
Montreal may very well end up in that second group as it’s impossible to predict that far out but there’s nothing yet that would lead to that conclusion.

Reactions: Llamamoto49

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Colorado, Philadelphia and New York are decent bets to have good runs. Vancouver most likely also.
St. Louis and Tampa Bay will be around for awhile.

Boston should've earned all of the 'benefit of doubt' regarding how they build their team.
Washington, Pittsburgh, Nashville...

More of the same I'd gather.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

They deserve credit for how long they’ve sustained excellence, but it won’t last forever.

Pitt has Sid and Malkin both 33, or older.

Washington has Ovi, Carlson, Backstrom, Oshie all 30, or older.

I think the older top-end teams who have a better chance to sustain success are the Lightning and the Blues.

The Bruins, Caps, and Pens most likely have a year, or two left in their contention window before they’re surpassed by quite a few teams.

Reactions: topshelf15

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County

Both will be awful for a very long time

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
They deserve credit for how long they’ve sustained excellence, but it won’t last forever.

Pitt has Sid and Malkin both 33, or older.

Washington has Ovi, Carlson, Backstrom, Oshie all 30, or older.

I think the older top-end teams who have a better chance to sustain success are the Lightning and the Blues.

The Bruins, Caps, and Pens most likely have a year, or two left in their contention window before they’re surpassed by quite a few teams.
Those older cores ,also could carry younger players and still be effective..Hense them being able to use cheaper younger players to sustain the bigger salaries...But when time catches up they will need to have more expensive experienced players that can support the older players...
When this starts to happen hopefully these teams wont try and force things and prolong the rebuild,otherwise you end up a capped out team that is drafting top 3

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Toronto
- Matthews, 22
- Marner, 22
- Nylander, 23
- Rielly, 26
Edmonton
- McDavid, 23
- Draisaitl, 24
- Nugent Hopkins, 26
- Klefbom, 26
Colorado
- MacKinnon, 26
- Raantanen, 23
- Landeskog, 27
- Makar, 21
Vancouver
- Petterson, 21
- Hughes, 20
- Boeser, 23
- Horvat, 24
Carolina
- Aho, 22
- Svechnikov, 19
- Teravainen, 25
- Slavin, 25

These are my 5 in no particular order, HM:
- Ottawa (yes Ottawa with all those picks, Tkachuk, Chabot)
- Buffalo (Eichel & Dahlin)
- Florida (Barkov, Huberdeau & Ekblad)
- Columbus (Dubois, Jones, Werenski)
- Calgary (Monahan, Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Hanifin)

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Mark my words. If Ottawa will pay their f***ing players. they will be really good in 3-4 years

It’s really only a matter of time for Ottawa. That San Jose pick for them this year, is so huge. It would help a lot if they could land Lafreniere, but even if the lottery balls don’t bounce their way it could still work out.

Avs fans know well, that sometimes losing the lottery pays off, if you can pick the right player.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Toronto
- Matthews, 22
- Marner, 22
- Nylander, 23
- Rielly, 26
Edmonton
- McDavid, 23
- Draisaitl, 24
- Nugent Hopkins, 26
- Klefbom, 26
Colorado
- MacKinnon, 26
- Raantanen, 23
- Landeskog, 27
- Makar, 21
Vancouver
- Petterson, 21
- Hughes, 20
- Boeser, 23
- Horvat, 24
Carolina
- Aho, 22
- Svechnikov, 19
- Teravainen, 25
- Slavin, 25

These are my 5 in no particular order, HM:
- Ottawa (yes Ottawa with all those picks, Tkachuk, Chabot)
- Buffalo (Eichel & Dahlin)
- Florida (Barkov, Huberdeau & Ekblad)
- Columbus (Dubois, Jones, Werenski)
- Calgary (Monahan, Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Hanifin)

Don’t forget to add Girard, Byram, and Newhook for Colorado. ;)

Reactions: TheBigLetowski

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Hi Mr. Convenience Store Owner, I got every single one of my lottery numbers wrong, but if I change them now can I win the Powerball?

You are arguing that I said under 21 instead of 21 and under? That’s your beef? You’re a strange dude. Now move along son.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
Hi Mr. Convenience Store Owner, I got every single one of my lottery numbers wrong, but if I change them now can I win the Powerball?
Pretty desperate to hate on the Blues prospects now that you can’t hate on them for not winning a Cup.

Some things never change around here.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
No particular order,

:rangers

They have young top end players already on the roster, with prospects still developing. Once the bad contracts start to fall off and the young guys get a season or two under their legs they will be dangerous.

:flyers

They are just a very deep team and still have some good players coming up. Once again a strong mix of prospects and prime players.

:edmonton

Two of the best players in hockey locked up long term while they are young. Depth has already started to look better, they just need to follow the Pittsburgh model and get players who complement these two. Lower lines will likely be shut down/checking lines these players are easier to find.

:kings

Once again a very deep prospect pool and they are tanking at the right time. Lots of cap coming off the books in the next couple years and LA seems to be a place players like to play. The best thing about their deep pool is it creates a lot of trade ammunition.

:nucks

Their young core is among the best in hockey and with some bad contracts falling off in the next couple years the depth will improve. I’m unsure if Benning is the right man for the job since he loves to give out bad contracts, but whoever the head scout is give that guy a raise. Scouting and development has been money these past couple seasons.

Buffalo, Toronto, and Ottawa are other strong contenders. However, current management (or ownership) kept them off my list.

Reactions: Llamamoto49

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The Oilers were incredibly inconsistent this season, and did not look good imo, but the team still flirted with 1st in the division. When our biggest prospects graduate, we will be one of the top in the west. Bouchard, Benson and Broberg will be big for us. Just look at what Yamamoto, Bear and Jones did for us this year, and they were considered a tier below our best prospects.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
people will be shocked when they realize the Bruins only have 1 core winger over 25 and the D core under 28 (most under 25).

they have 2-3 years to draft/trade/sign a center and have plenty of cap space and D to do so.

they'll be competitive for years to come but sure go ahead and keep thinking they're "old" when in fact they're not.

They’re not going to drop off a cliff like most think but in the next ~5 years they’ll need to replace a 100pt winger, a top 5C in Bergeron, a good #2C in Krejci, their #2D in Chara and potentially even their #1G in Rask while having probably the worst prospect pool in the NHL.

Carlo/Pasta/McAvoy will likely keep them in a playoff spot but I think it’s fair to say they probably only have 2-3 more years as a contender unless they magically find another #1C somewhere. Cap space is nice but you need to have that player available to sign and those rarely become available.

As for the OP I agree with the list. Ottawa I think absolutely has the pieces, especially if they luck out on the lottery this year, but I can’t put them in a top 5 with that owner.

Reactions: longtime lurker

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
They’re not going to drop off a cliff like most think but in the next ~5 years they’ll need to replace a 100pt winger, a top 5C in Bergeron, a good #2C in Krejci, their #2D in Chara and potentially even their #1G in Rask while having probably the worst prospect pool in the NHL.

Carlo/Pasta/McAvoy will likely keep them in a playoff spot but I think it’s fair to say they probably only have 2-3 more years as a contender unless they magically find another #1C somewhere. Cap space is nice but you need to have that player available to sign and those rarely become available.

As for the OP I agree with the list. Ottawa I think absolutely has the pieces, especially if they luck out on the lottery this year, but I can’t put them in a top 5 with that owner.

Bergeron aging out will be a major blow but Boston has been the most consistently good team for 50 years (not enough Cups but always up there) so I think that franchise should've earned our trust by now.
Even during The Cap - Trade Thornton - no problem. Trade Kessel - no problem. Lose M. Savard - no problem. Trade Seguin - no problem. Lose Thomas - no problem. etc.
Just can't bet against them being a consistent contender. A lot will come down to whether the culture of Bergeron, Krejci and Chara will be passed to the next generation but that hard-working professionalism team-first good contracts identity doesn't look like it's going away anytime soon.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Bergeron aging out will be a major blow but Boston has been the most consistently good team for 50 years (not enough Cups but always up there) so I think that franchise should've earned our trust by now.
Even during The Cap - Trade Thornton - no problem. Trade Kessel - no problem. Lose M. Savard - no problem. Trade Seguin - no problem. Lose Thomas - no problem. etc.
Just can't bet against them being a consistent contender. A lot will come down to whether the culture of Bergeron, Krejci and Chara will be passed to the next generation but that hard-working professionalism team-first good contracts identity doesn't look like it's going away anytime soon.
Between 1997-2007 the B’s weren’t very good. I think they’ll hold it down for a few more years but unless they hit huge on some prospects in the next few years their window will close and they will start looking like Chicago. The Bergeron, Marchand, Kreijci, Chara core is still propping up the team. That’s a lot of really good, unique, key players to replace.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad