Which 5 teams will be the best over the next 5-7 years?

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
In an effort to continue to talk hockey with everyone I’d like to fire up a fun debate.
Which 5 teams do you think will be the best over the course of the next 5-7 years. Feel free to provide an explanation, if you like.
Here’s my picks. Admittedly, I’m an Avs fan, so take that in to account.

:avs

1. Colorado Avalanche: Elite talent up-front and on the backend. Along with elite prospects in the system.

:bolts

2. Tampa Bay Lighting: I might have them too high because they are getting a little older, but I think they should be able to sustain great play for at least a few more years.

:rangers

3. New York Rangers: Even without Kakko contributing the Rangers look pretty complete moving forward. If Kakko figures it out, they’ll be even more dangerous.

:edmonton

4. Edmonton Oilers: The combination of McDavid and Draisaitl is always going to be a problem. Edmonton may be a flawed team right now, but they have the defensive prospects to become a dominant team, soon.

:nucks

5. Vancouver Canucks: Petterson and Hughes are pretty close to as good as it gets, for driving play. Add Boeser/Horvat and it’s a talented mix moving forward.

Other teams I thought about putting in, were Carolina and Phili. Those teams both have very nice cores.

Last edited:

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
I think Ottawa can, its gonna be hard but we have some solid pieces to at least be in the 6th or 5th position for now.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
people will be shocked when they realize the Bruins only have 1 core winger over 25 and the D core under 28 (most under 25).

they have 2-3 years to draft/trade/sign a center and have plenty of cap space and D to do so.

they'll be competitive for years to come but sure go ahead and keep thinking they're "old" when in fact they're not.

Bergeron, Marchand, Krejci, and Chara are all 31, or older.

Even Krug and Coyle aren’t young players.

Those number 1, and number 2 centres are not easy to come by. Bergeron in particular, will be hard to replace.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
people will be shocked when they realize the Bruins only have 1 core winger over 25 and the D core under 28 (most under 25).

they have 2-3 years to draft/trade/sign a center and have plenty of cap space and D to do so.

they'll be competitive for years to come but sure go ahead and keep thinking they're "old" when in fact they're not.

You guys are f***ed.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
The Blues core are all in their primes and Thomas, Kyrou, Kostin, Mikkola, Perunovich are all under 21.

Reactions: Bluenatic

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Their #1 and #2 centers are both well over 30 and are probably not far from taking a complete nosedive. That's not something you can bandaid over. Bergeron, especially, is going to be very hard to replace when his play dips/he retires.

Edit: And that's ignoring Chara, Marchand, and Rask. Most of the Bruins talent is old.

Last edited:

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada

Chara is 43, Bergeron is 34, Rask is 33, Krejci is 33, and Marchand is 31. Boston's got 2 more years and then they'll be a middling team at best.

The90

Feb 27, 2017

How about 2/3 of their top line, their captain and their second line centre?

how many first line stars are in the pipeline to replace them in 3-4 years time?

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
I would break it down into next 3, then 4-7.

Next 3: Washington, Pittsburgh, Tampa, St. Louis and Vegas still have the stars who will be near enough to their peaks.

4-7 years: Colorado, NYR, Philadelphia, Carolina, and I would throw in LA as they might have 3 top young centers and two goal-scoring wingers.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
I truly believe Kings will be apart of the top 5 best teams for the foreseeable future beginning in 2 years . We have arguably the best/deepest prospect pool at all positions . We have Kopitar , Brown , Carter and Doughty who will provide leadership and balance out the lineup as veterans with all the kids and these guys know what it takes to win .

Iaffalo was a great free agent signing who gives 110% every shift and is a stable in the top 6 now ; relentless with the forecheck and high compete level. Kempe has started to round out into form ever since he has been given more ice time and taken on a bigger role on the team in all situations . Petersen is a great young goalie who has pushed Quick like no other before him and they make a great tandem while Petersen learns from Quick .
Vilardi has the best vision and highest IQ I have ever seen of any rookie in a Kings uni . After 1 and half years off he has come in and exceeded my expectations of him. He creates plays every time he is on the ice and is putting up points while averaging 10-12 mins a night and playing with lesser talent .

We have great young dmen like Anderson and Bjornfot . Anderson came up recently and has been playing mistake free hockey and has really rounded out the defense . Bjornfot has been the best defenseman any 18 year old has ever been in the AHL imo. He also displayed that he can perform at the NHL level in the beginning of the year . Matt Roy has also developed tremendously this year and is our highest plus minus player on the Kings while playing at a high level .

We have great support role players that compete and bring energy to the lineup like Moore , Lizotte and Frk. Lizotte is killing penalties with Kempe and they’re great at it ; at their roles . Great young team with a coach who gets the most out of his players .

With all this said above plus our top prospects like Kaliyev who is a pure sniper , Turcotte who will make the NHL sooner rather than later and Fagemo looking like a great middle/top six player in the making and Kupari , JAD , Thomas , Clague as an offensive dmen , Nousianen who is putting up amazing numbers at 18 years old while also being a top dman in the finish league the Kings are going to be a fun team to watch . Ever since they decided to evolve and change systems their drafting/scouting has been amazing ! 2019 draft can legit see 7 prospects make the NHL in some capacity and with all the picks in this years draft I can’t help but be excited to see who we draft . We are so deep that you can’t even predict a lineup because few pieces will be moved for more NHL ready or established young stars .

Kaliyev-Vilardi-2020 1st round pick
Iaffalo-Kopitar-Carter
Kempe-Turcotte-Brown
Moore-Lizotte-Frk
Fagemo, JAD, Grundstrom , Thomas , Kupari , Madden... etc something’s got to give . These lines are all interchangeable with some of these prospects surprising and taking on a top 6 role and Carter being a bottom 6 center etc etc ! Endless opportunities I f***en love it !

Bjornfot-Doughty
Anderson-Roy
Clague-Walker
Moverare(my dark horse fav prospect who will surprise many and be a top 4 dman)
Nousianen, Macdermid ...

Petersen
Quick

Kings top 15 prospects :
Vilardi
Turcotte
Petersen
2020 1st round pick
Kupari
Kaliyev
Bjornfot
Grundstrom
Thomas
Clague
Anderson
Fagemo
JAD
Madden
Nousianen

Craziest thing is literally all 15 prospects above can make the NHL in some capacity or form. And there’s still few prospects I left out including this years 2nd round picks . Crazy and great exciting time to be a Kings fan !

P.S - Stoll and other Kings insiders/experts/analysts even mentioned that there is talk around the Kings that Fagemo and Kaliyev can make the team straight out of camp next year . Can’t wait for hockey to restart man , let’s finish this year and begin next year already !!!

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I truly believe Kings will be apart of the top 5 best teams for the foreseeable future beginning in 2 years . We have arguably the best/deepest prospect pool at all positions . We have Kopitar , Brown , Carter and Doughty who will provide leadership and balance out the lineup as veterans with all the kids and these guys know what it takes to win .

Iaffalo was a great free agent signing who gives 110% every shift and is a stable in the top 6 now ; relentless with the forecheck and high compete level. Kempe has started to round out into form ever since he has been given more ice time and taken on a bigger role on the team in all situations . Petersen is a great young goalie who has pushed Quick like no other before him and they make a great tandem while Petersen learns from Quick .
Vilardi has the best vision and highest IQ I have ever seen of any rookie in a Kings uni . After 1 and half years off he has come in and exceeded my expectations of him. He creates plays every time he is on the ice and is putting up points while averaging 10-12 mins a night and playing with lesser talent .

We have great young dmen like Anderson and Bjornfot . Anderson came up recently and has been playing mistake free hockey and has really rounded out the defense . Bjornfot has been the best defenseman any 18 year old has ever been in the AHL imo. He also displayed that he can perform at the NHL level in the beginning of the year . Matt Roy has also developed tremendously this year and is our highest plus minus player on the Kings while playing at a high level .

We have great support role players that compete and bring energy to the lineup like Moore , Lizotte and Frk. Lizotte is killing penalties with Kempe and they’re great at it ; at their roles . Great young team with a coach who gets the most out of his players .

With all this said above plus our top prospects like Kaliyev who is a pure sniper , Turcotte who will make the NHL sooner rather than later and Fagemo looking like a great middle/top six player in the making and Kupari , JAD , Thomas , Clague as an offensive dmen , Nousianen who is putting up amazing numbers at 18 years old while also being a top dman in the finish league the Kings are going to be a fun team to watch . Ever since they decided to evolve and change systems their drafting/scouting has been amazing ! 2019 draft can legit see 7 prospects make the NHL in some capacity and with all the picks in this years draft I can’t help but be excited to see who we draft . We are so deep that you can’t even predict a lineup because few pieces will be moved for more NHL ready or established young stars .

Kaliyev-Vilardi-2020 1st round pick
Iaffalo-Kopitar-Carter
Kempe-Turcotte-Brown
Moore-Lizotte-Frk
Fagemo, JAD, Grundstrom , Thomas , Kupari , Madden... etc something’s got to give . These lines are all interchangeable with some of these prospects surprising and taking on a top 6 role and Carter being a bottom 6 center etc etc ! Endless opportunities I f***en love it !

Bjornfot-Doughty
Anderson-Roy
Clague-Walker
Moverare(my dark horse fav prospect who will surprise many and be a top 4 dman)
Nousianen, Macdermid ...

Petersen
Quick

Kings top 15 prospects :
Vilardi
Turcotte
Petersen
2020 1st round pick
Kupari
Kaliyev
Bjornfot
Grundstrom
Thomas
Clague
Anderson
Fagemo
JAD
Madden
Nousianen

Craziest thing is literally all 15 prospects above can make the NHL in some capacity or form. And there’s still few prospects I left out including this years 2nd round picks . Crazy and great exciting time to be a Kings fan !

P.S - Stoll and other Kings insiders/experts/analysts even mentioned that there is talk around the Kings that Fagemo and Kaliyev can make the team straight out of camp next year . Can’t wait for hockey to restart man , let’s finish this year and begin next year already !!!

Definitely a deep prospect pool, but not sure I totally agree. The Kings still need the really top-end talent, but hopefully for you guys that comes in Turcotte and Vilardi.

I love your passion though, awesome post!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->