Which 5 teams will be the best over the next 5-7 years?

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
But he’s not playing with Panarin. And didn't last year.

I did check. Last year he was a 70 point player and this year he’s played this:

Mika Zibanejad- Face-off linemates - 2019 - Puckbase

So he’s played the third most face offs with him, and bascially been either 1B or just second line without him. This all makes a difference.

I don't want (in true HF style) to get distracted from the core point though. If a GM is picking a player they want on their team going forward - i imagine 95% go with Couturier. No argument in the Panarin situation, he's the best on both teams as it stands but Coots is #2.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I did check. Last year he was a 70 point player and this year he’s played this:

Mika Zibanejad- Face-off linemates - 2019 - Puckbase

So he’s played the third most face offs with him, and bascially been either 1B or just second line without him. This all makes a difference.

I don't want (in true HF style) to get distracted from the core point though. If a GM is picking a player they want on their team going forward - i imagine 95% go with Couturier. No argument in the Panarin situation, he's the best on both teams as it stands but Coots is #2.
I really don't get what this word salad is, so let me present some facts:

- In 2018-19, Zibanejadad was 30/44/74 — 23 points better than his previous season high.

- Panarin was not a member of the Rangers in 2018-19.

- This season, Zibanejad has been 41/34/75 — in 57 games, or 25 fewer games than he played last season.

- From your link, Zibanejad has indeed played the third most face offs with Panarin. But that hardly means much, as the two players ahead of Panarin (Kreider and Buchnevich) are his usual linemates — who are on the ice for over half of the face-offs that Zibanejad takes. And Panarin is on the ice for a third less face-offs than those two.

So if that is your attempt to spin that Zibanejad is a product of Panarin — congrats — you've failed miserably.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Oh, That's funny! Toronto on top?
Theyre going to be in an amazing position once the cap goes up.... Wait a minute :sarcasm:

This covid thing could really change the financial landscape. Teams with very little salary commited with lots of cost controlled assets could come out of this looking amazing.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I really don't get what this word salad is so let me present some facts:

- In 2018-19, Zibanejadad was 30/44/74 — 23 points better than his previous high.

- This season, Zibanejad has been 41/34/75 — in 57 games, or 25 fewer games than he played last season.

- From your link, Zibanejad has indeed played the third most face offs with Panarin. But that hardly means much, as the two players ahead of Panarin (Kreider and Buchnevich) are his usual linemates — who are on the ice for over half of the face-offs that Zibanejad takes. And Panarin is on the ice for a third less face-offs than those two.

So if that is your attempt to spin that Zibanejad is a product of Panarin — congrats — you've failed miserably.
Unreal post!

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
I did some number crunching and from 12-13 through 18-19(7 seasons), there were 20 teams that finished as a top five team at least once over those 7 years. I did not use this season since it is technically not over yet. Florida may be an exception as they finished tied at fifth place with the Hawks and the Ducks in 2015-2016. Those teams are:

Flames
Islanders
Vegas
Jets
Preds
Wild
CBJ
Stars
Avs
Sharks
Rangers
Caps*
Tampa*
'Hawks*
Pens*
Habs*
Ducks*
Bruins*
Blues*
Florida(tied)

Those teams with an (*) finished as top five teams two or more times.

This leads me to believe that it's not all that difficult to become a top five team at least once over a 7 year stretch...especially once you eliminate those bottom teams who will not spend the $$$ to build a top five team and the teams like Toronto...who don't need to be successful on the ice to fill their stadium with fans and cash drawers with money.

Sundin92

Jan 25, 2020
Why are people saying the flyers? Seems like a mid tier team in terms of young talent.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
I really don't get what this word salad is, so let me present some facts:

- In 2018-19, Zibanejadad was 30/44/74 — 23 points better than his previous season high.

- From your link, Zibanejad has indeed played the third most face offs with Panarin. But that hardly means much, as the two players ahead of Panarin (Kreider and Buchnevich) are his usual line mates — who are on the ice for over half of the face-offs that Zibanejad takes. And Panarin is on the ice for a third less face-offs than those two.

My word, you Rangers fans get so aggressive whenever anyone deigns to dampen your fire.

Bottom line, his career year is on a team with Panarin and whilst he may not be his main line mate, it has a trickle effect. This could well be down to two factors firstly being on Panarin's line for 35% of his ice time (presuming this is mostly the powerplay), and secondly the other 65% where he's not and against second line defensive units. You're right in that he's trending upwards, but it's rare for someone with a 0 PPG seasons to suddenly hit 100 points at 27 years old without it being a product of something else.

This year has been incredible, but one elite year doesn't make you an elite player. He's got everything on his side to keep it going but before he's talked about in the upper echelons of the league, he has to repeat.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
My word, you Rangers fans get so aggressive whenever anyone deigns to dampen your fire.

Bottom line, his career year is on a team with Panarin and whilst he may not be his main line mate, it has a trickle effect. This could well be down to two factors firstly being on Panarin's line for 35% of his ice time (presuming this is mostly the powerplay), and secondly the other 65% where he's not and against second line defensive units. You're right in that he's trending upwards, but it's rare for someone with a 0 PPG seasons to suddenly hit 100 points at 27 years old without it being a product of something else.

This year has been incredible, but one elite year doesn't make you an elite player. He's got everything on his side to keep it going but before he's talked about in the upper echelons of the league, he has to repeat.
His best season also came with Phillip Di Giuseppe on the team.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Why are people saying the flyers? Seems like a mid tier team in terms of young talent.

All of our D core is young. Our only two ageing stars are still good for a few years yet and we have Patrick, Farabee and Frost to take their place eventually too.

We’re also currently one of the best teams in the league with a lot of the team still to reach their realistic peak.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

At the risk of being one of those “just watch the games” people - you really can tell by watching that Mika is a better player this year in every way. He’s faster, his shot is more accurate, he’s finding space in high danger areas more. You can look at the numbers and maybe think they suggest that it’s something aside from him improving that’s leading to these numbers but watching the games it’s very clear that he’s a better and more skilled player in nearly every way. It’s somewhat rare at his age but it’s happening none the less.

I totally agree he has to repeat this to really prove it though.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Toronto
- Matthews, 22
- Marner, 22
- Nylander, 23
- Rielly, 26
Edmonton
- McDavid, 23
- Draisaitl, 24
- Nugent Hopkins, 26
- Klefbom, 26
Colorado
- MacKinnon, 26
- Raantanen, 23
- Landeskog, 27
- Makar, 21
Vancouver
- Petterson, 21
- Hughes, 20
- Boeser, 23
- Horvat, 24
Carolina
- Aho, 22
- Svechnikov, 19
- Teravainen, 25
- Slavin, 25

These are my 5 in no particular order, HM:
- Ottawa (yes Ottawa with all those picks, Tkachuk, Chabot)
- Buffalo (Eichel & Dahlin)
- Florida (Barkov, Huberdeau & Ekblad)
- Columbus (Dubois, Jones, Werenski)
- Calgary (Monahan, Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Hanifin)

MacKinnon is 24

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Toronto
- Matthews, 22
- Marner, 22
- Nylander, 23
- Rielly, 26
Edmonton
- McDavid, 23
- Draisaitl, 24
- Nugent Hopkins, 26
- Klefbom, 26
Colorado
- MacKinnon, 26
- Raantanen, 23
- Landeskog, 27
- Makar, 21
Vancouver
- Petterson, 21
- Hughes, 20
- Boeser, 23
- Horvat, 24
Carolina
- Aho, 22
- Svechnikov, 19
- Teravainen, 25
- Slavin, 25

These are my 5 in no particular order, HM:
- Ottawa (yes Ottawa with all those picks, Tkachuk, Chabot)
- Buffalo (Eichel & Dahlin)
- Florida (Barkov, Huberdeau & Ekblad)
- Columbus (Dubois, Jones, Werenski)
- Calgary (Monahan, Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Hanifin)

I'd include Pesce (25yo) as a staple of the Canes young core going forward. He's much more than a complimentary piece, and he's locked up for the next 4 seasons. And Necas (recently turned 21) is looking like he'll be a special player as well.

Last edited:

Sundin92

Jan 25, 2020
All of our D core is young. Our only two ageing stars are still good for a few years yet and we have Patrick, Farabee and Frost to take their place eventually too.

We’re also currently one of the best teams in the league with a lot of the team still to reach their realistic peak.

Eh I doubt any of those guys are ever as good as Giroux and Voracek.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
At the risk of being one of those “just watch the games” people - you really can tell by watching that Mika is a better player this year in every way. He’s faster, his shot is more accurate, he’s finding space in high danger areas more. You can look at the numbers and maybe think they suggest that it’s something aside from him improving that’s leading to these numbers but watching the games it’s very clear that he’s a better and more skilled player in nearly every way. It’s somewhat rare at his age but it’s happening none the less.

I don’t have a problem with the people that say Mika needs another season of this type of play to prove himself as a top 10 center. I’m not even sure I believe that he’s a top 10 center. What I dislike is when opposing fans try to say he’s a product of Panarin. They often mistakenly think they are line mates, and even when told they aren’t, these fans can’t admit they were wrong about them being line mates and their speculative theory was wrong. They double down and claim Panarin’s presence makes him a product of Panarin. What’s next for them? Is Fox a product of Panarin? What about Shestyorkin? Zibanejad is a product of himself.

Reactions: haveandare

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
Eh I doubt any of those guys are ever as good as Giroux and Voracek.

Probably not Giroux anyway. Voraceks all around game leaves a lot to be desired. Hart could well be better than anyone those two have played with though. And the D could end up being a better all around group as well.

Reactions: MessierII

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK

You're almost certainly right, but as you say. He needs to prove it 100%.

I still take Couturier, and i think most would too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad