Sportsnet: When Seattle joins, and expansion draft happens, nhl says vegas doesnt give up any players

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
That may be true, but I don't agree with that. Vegas is an NHL team, and when the NHL expands, everyone is supposed to give up a player for the new team.

It's not giving up a player, it's trading $22 mil for a player.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Why not? Seattle isn't joining the league next year. If it was next year I could understand them not being a part of the expansion.

This is probably going to change when GM's, teams and fans rant about it.

NHL has the weirdest rules. Why don't they get an expansion fee now that they are a part of the league?

I'd love it if teams could just relinquish the fee and save their players lol.

Yes, I`m positive they will look into it.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Bettman is trying to make up rules to make Vegas work out. Which is why I'm starting to dislike Vegas, because of Gary Bettman. He also has the reffing rigged because of Vegas, if you don't believe me, Neal broke his stick over Hellebuyck's mask, which lead to a goal, and it counted as a goal. That's interference.

Gary Bettman is the only thing I hate about being a hockey fan...

OTHER EXPANSION TEAMS GOT THE SAME TREATMENT. read the thread. This isn't some new made up rule.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Well that's great and all but the Avs are going to be in **** place and aren't going to just lose some 4th/5th dman or bottom line forward.

We are looking at losing a guy like Erik Johnson. Because we'll have to protect Barrie, Girard and Zadorov who are all younger.

Or if we protect 4 defenseman then we'll expose young players like Compher and Kerfoot, that are nice young cost controlled secondary players. Not irreplaceable but I'd be nice to keep those type of players in the fold, instead of losing them for nothing.

So it's not like we'd be giving up a guy like Comeau or Colin Wilson, we actually stand to lose a quality young asset.

It just blows that we've sucked for a long time and finally worked our way back to being a half way decent team by building through young guys and the draft and we just have cough up a nice young asset because Seattle wants a team.

That's the way it is with most teams, though. That's not unique with the Avs. The Penguins are in line to lose a guy like Schultz or Jarry, they're not just losing a depth guy. You seem to be complaining about expansion, not that Vegas isn't losing one of their guys.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I would think that how many years out that Seattle may be added would have an affect on this. Sure if it happened in the next couple of years they would not lose a player but if it takes 4-5 years would that still be the same?

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
That's the way it is with most teams, though. That's not unique with the Avs. The Penguins are in line to lose a guy like Schultz or Jarry, they're not just losing a depth guy. You seem to be complaining about expansion, not that Vegas isn't losing one of their guys.
I'm complaining about both. I just don't understand why Vegas isn't forced to make a tough decision on who to protect and who to leave exposed.

Why does 1 team get the advantage of not having to participate in the expansion draft. It gives them an advantage on the other 30 teams. No risk of losing a decent player and also gives them a leg up on stuff like ufa. Not sure how any of the other owners and GMs are ok with this.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I'm complaining about both. I just don't understand why Vegas isn't forced to make a tough decision on who to protect and who to leave exposed.

Why does 1 team get the advantage of not having to participate in the expansion draft. It gives them an advantage on the other 30 teams. No risk of losing a decent player and also gives them a leg up on stuff like ufa. Not sure how any of the other owners and GMs are ok with this.

The owners are the one that wanted this and the GMs get no say in this matter.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
OTHER EXPANSION TEAMS GOT THE SAME TREATMENT. read the thread. This isn't some new made up rule.
heed yr own advice:
Ottawa and Tampa (1992) had to give up players in the 1993 expansion draft (Anaheim and Florida)

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
I mean, LVK will have so many contracts come off the books next summer and the summer after that it probably wouldn't have been very tough for them anyways.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
People wouldn't be as salty if Vegas just did what people expect expansion teams to do. Suck.

I look at it the other way around, they should have to protect just like any other team but they should also get their share of an expansion fee as well. They are a team in the league in good standing. If the NHL aka Bettman wants to not give cash to newer teams then get your shit together and have 2 or 3 come in at the same time.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
heed yr own advice:
Ottawa and Tampa (1992) had to give up players in the 1993 expansion draft (Anaheim and Florida)

They never were the same after losing the likes of Marc Ferner, Randy Gilhen, and Dennis Vial.
Actually, there was a second phase in that expansion draft where Tampa Bay, Ottawa, and San Jose got to select players from Florida and Anaheim (who they opted to leave exposed).

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
I didn't say every team. But recent teams have.

In any case it's not a "made up" rule.
apples to oranges; pretty significant difference between not having to lose players 1-2 years after yr entry into the league and not having to lose players 4-5 years after yr 1st year

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
apples to oranges; pretty significant difference between not having to lose players 1-2 years after yr entry into the league and not having to lose players 4-5 years after yr 1st year
But it's NOT A MADE UP RULE. A recent invention of Bettman's that is Vegas specific which was my primary grievance with that post.

Also I seriously doubt it's gonna take Seattle 4-5 years to be ready. Vegas was absent from the league for one season before being ready to join and draft.

Moreover Vegas paid half a billion dollars to get this team and they will be foregoing a return of 20 million dollars to not lose one body. There isn't a single player on Vegas' roster that would be exposed that could be worth that much.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Again, it's not an advantage. They're not getting $20-$25 million. Just because you don't care about the money POV for hockey doesn't mean teams don't.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

You seem to keep ignoring that it was the Owners who chose this. If Vegas doesn't get $20M like everyone else then why should they have to give up a player too? Not sure you're recognizing how much $20M is, even to already rich guys.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
They never were the same after losing the likes of Marc Ferner, Randy Gilhen, and Dennis Vial.
Actually, there was a second phase in that expansion draft where Tampa Bay, Ottawa, and San Jose got to select players from Florida and Anaheim (who they opted to leave exposed).

Was just about to point this out.

Panthers and Mighty Ducks were allowed to protect one more F than the existing 24 teams were allowed in phase I.( 1G/5D/9F vs. 1G/5D/10F)

San Jose passed both times around. Ottawa passed the first time, then picked Dennis Vial from Anaheim. Tampa Bay picked Darren Puppa from Florida and Glen Healy(and traded him for a 3rd the same day) from Anaheim.

There was no phase II in 2000, but Nashvile and Atlanta had their entire roster protected.

Last edited:

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
But it's NOT A MADE UP RULE. A recent invention of Bettman's that is Vegas specific which was my primary grievance with that post.

Also I seriously doubt it's gonna take Seattle 4-5 years to be ready. Vegas was absent from the league for one season before being ready to join and draft.

Moreover Vegas paid half a billion dollars to get this team and they will be foregoing a return of 20 million dollars to not lose one body. There isn't a single player on Vegas' roster that would be exposed that could be worth that much.

I wouldn't say it was Bettman's invention, but I'd say it was his way of putting his stamp on expansion that was/is 100% under his watch.

The 67 expansion teams lost players to the two new 1970 teams Buffalo and Vancouver, who lost players in 1972 to New York and Atlanta, who both lost players in 1974 Washington and Kansas City. That was all pre- Bettman.

Bettman was boss when the 1993 expansion draft itself took place, but the expansion process and everything that goes with it were well underway by the time he arrived Feb. 1 of that year. 1998-present expansion was and is 100% under his watch.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Sounds fair to me. Just because they're doing well, doesn't mean they've had the chance to build a team like the rest of the NHL has to this point.

DCRedhawk21

May 7, 2011
Northern Virginia
I'm sure the owners could have made Vegas give up a player if they were willing to split the Seattle expansion fee with Vegas. They didn't want to split the fee (shocking given their previous behavior....) and took the extra money instead. This sounds 100% like a business decision the other owners made, not some power move by Bettman or VGK...

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Strong possibility Vegas is going to be in the basement next season anyways. What we've seen from them this year is a classic example of a team responding to bulletin board material, all cast offs, told they were going to suck, each and every night 1 player from Vegas was going into the arena of their former team, the team that indirectly said "we don't need you" in return the entire team rallied around that player and wanted to get the win for him. That bulletin material will wear off.

For those who are mad about this, you won't be when they're in the running for a lottery pick next year.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Several teams with young talent got off light as the weird rule excluded having to protect them. Vegas should not be exempt regardless of fees. As it is the new expansion draft is way too harsh. Teams shouldn't have to trade away first rd picks to protect talent.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
And that's the way it should be!

Vegas paid HALF A BILLION DOLLARS for their franchise.
Everyone had them written off as being a bottom 2 team before the season started.
Also: Vegas has only had 1 draft which means they have had no chance to develop prospects so far and in theory the other teams should have a much easier time compensating for the loss of one player than Vegas should.
In theory only. Some teams haven't drafted well and need all the help they can get. On the flip side your penalizing the teams that have drafted well. Also I don't agree with having to protect players with NMC.
On Vegas side they have acquired talent by some smart moves and good trades for the most part but don't forget the gifts either.
Also teams had no chance to prepare for Vegas entering the league do to short notice and new draft rules.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad