Sportsnet: When Seattle joins, and expansion draft happens, nhl says vegas doesnt give up any players

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Is there really a point to creating a new team that will suck for a long time, as was the case in the early 90s expansion era?

Vegas gets off the hook in order to prevent another debacle like the Coyotes. A bad team in an unfamiliar market, with little on ice reasons for hope. Sure there are bad teams in the NHL worse off than Vegas that will need to pay the piper. It's up to the ownership of those teams to hire better executives conducive to winning. The NHL benefits from a strong Vegas, if not a net positive, it's a lack of another insult to throw at the league from afar.

This all makes sense. Established teams gnashing their teeth are crying over sour grapes with a fist full of dollars. Reinvest that $20m (minus the blow & hookers line-items) into the scouting and player development departments and fix your own problems.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Totally missing my point.
No one predicted those guys would be this good just like Bettman failed to prepare for Vegas having this kind of success.
You have teams like Arizona, Buffalo, Montreal and plenty others who are in worse shape then Vegas and cannot afford to lose the next Jon March or Wild Bill.
Other teams got off easy but some where hit hard.

So because Florida was so desperate to keep inferior players (everyone knew that they made a huge mistake) like Pysyk or Petrovic, and Columbus wanted to get rid of Clarkson so bad then Vegas should be punished too.

You're basing Vegas needing to get rid of a player because other teams make awful choices.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
NHL just holding their hands a little more... officials do it too. why not just give them the next 4 cups too?

lol at some Colorado and Toronto fans being upset. Your teams benefited from the expansion draft due to other teams in your divisions being weakened.

and didn't the Avalanche get gifted a goal the other day?

Last edited:

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
lol at some Colorado and Toronto fans being upset. Your teams benefited from the expansion draft due to other teams in your divisions being weakened.

and didn't the Avalanche get gifted a goal the other day?
I dont think it was gifted. I've seen the Avs challenge for more than that and not have it overturned.

The Avs didn't benefit that much. They're just playing better overall.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
The current owners made that a condition of Vegas coming in. That they wouldn't get a portion of the expected 32nd team expansion.

Since they aren't getting any profit from the new team coming in, they won't lose a player. It's not complicated, and nothing to be upset about.

Also, I highly doubt you'd give up 20-25 million dollars to not lose your 10th or 11th best player.
We lost James Neal. When the Predators came in, there weren't any players of Neals value on board.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
We lost James Neal. When the Predators came in, there weren't any players of Neals value on board.

So the Predators shouldn't of had to lose a player because of the expansion rules nearly 20 years earlier?

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Makes sense since they aren't getting money, but could they potentially just trade for guys who teams are going to lose for pennies on the dollar leading up to the ED?

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Funny, more than 20 years ago Gretzky (GOAT) was traded for 16 million... now teams can get 22 million for a pick and a cap dump.

Times change fast.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I dont think it was gifted. I've seen the Avs challenge for more than that and not have it overturned.

The Avs didn't benefit that much. They're just playing better overall.
Avs got a goal that shouldn't have counted on the eve of new standards (supposedly) being implemented. Yeah they got a gift and Fleury got shafted the shutout he deserved on a historic night for the new team.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I said before the expansion draft that Vegas would make the playoffs simply because they were picking 30 players with a lot being top 4 dman and the rest top 9 and 6 forwards , I had many people say that would not happen , well it did and if they get exempt from Seattle i'ts a complete joke they should not recieve any of the expansion money either then.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I had many arguments over this on Oilers and Main boards . And like many other bookmarks I saved those threads were removed like many others Ihad bookmarked , like last season Playoff predictions 1st round , I would love to find them did you guys archive all of them ? Because I searched hard for those when Vegas was burning down the village 1st 20 games ?

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
I said before the expansion draft that Vegas would make the playoffs simply because they were picking 30 players with a lot being top 4 dman and the rest top 9 and 6 forwards , I had many people say that would not happen , well it did and if they get exempt from Seattle i'ts a complete joke they should not recieve any of the expansion money either then.

They will not. That is why no players exposed.

Reactions: VainGretzky

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Link, please.

This one is from June 17th I had many prior posts about Vegas making playoffs before this as you can tell by me saying "Like I have said all along " I had at least 8 more posts and replies stating why I said they would make playoffs
zFjLI4p.png

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Don't see how any past expansions matter, they are so different there is no basis for precedent. So whatever the NHL told Vegas in their agreement, that's pretty much what should hold. It looks unnecessary now with how great Vegas has done, but if they have the deal, they have the deal. Don't see how it matters all that much either way.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
So because Florida was so desperate to keep inferior players (everyone knew that they made a huge mistake) like Pysyk or Petrovic, and Columbus wanted to get rid of Clarkson so bad then Vegas should be punished too.

You're basing Vegas needing to get rid of a player because other teams make awful choices.
Not all moves were awful choices. Some were forced. Isles for example traded a first rd pick away so that Vegas wouldn't draft a top four dman off their roster
mainly because NY was forced to protect Boychuk and Ladd.

Now Vegas can hand out all the NMC in free agency all they want without worrying about protecting them from Seattle.
I wouldn't be shocked if Tavares signs with them now. My issue is with the new expansion rules that caught teams by surprise.
And teams that lost good players should be compensated by extra draft picks. The sane teams that got hit hard by Vegas will be targets again for reason like this.

A weighted scale would be fairer than the current system similar to the NFL.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Not all moves were awful choices. Some were forced. Isles for example traded a first rd pick away so that Vegas wouldn't draft a top four dman off their roster
mainly because NY was forced to protect Boychuk and Ladd.

Now Vegas can hand out all the NMC in free agency all they want without worrying about protecting them from Seattle.
I wouldn't be shocked if Tavares signs with them now. My issue is with the new expansion rules that caught teams by surprise.
And teams that lost good players should be compensated by extra draft picks. The sane teams that got hit hard by Vegas will be targets again for reason like this.

A weighted scale would be fairer than the current system similar to the NFL.
What :laugh:

So Tavares is going to sign with Vegas because they won't lose a 4th line player in the draft? :laugh: Tavares is getting a NMC regardless of who he signs with. And no, Vegas is not just going to give out NMC like candy just because again, they won't lose a 4th liner. We've seen how NMC can screw over teams regardless of expansion draft or not.

And what you STILL can't seem to understand is that this is what the Owners wanted. 99% of teams would take $20M over loosing a non important player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad