Sportsnet: When Seattle joins, and expansion draft happens, nhl says vegas doesnt give up any players

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
I'd like to see them repeat their performance next season before declaring them 'this good'. I think they are one of several teams due for a massive correction next season.

Yeah, I can understand what you're trying to say; I only meant in terms of this season.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
If the rumor that they do not get a cut of the money is true this would be fair. No player on their roster is worth the $20M+ fee...

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
And that's the way it should be!

Vegas paid HALF A BILLION DOLLARS for their franchise.
Everyone had them written off as being a bottom 2 team before the season started.
Also: Vegas has only had 1 draft which means they have had no chance to develop prospects so far and in theory the other teams should have a much easier time compensating for the loss of one player than Vegas should.

Reactions: HanSolo and phlocky

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
If the rumor that they do not get a cut of the money is true this would be fair. No player on their roster is worth the $20M+ fee...

Very few players left unprotected in the NHL are worth 20M and Vegas has a few players worth 20M.

Thrive

Scoish Velociraptor Maloish
Jan 10, 2009
Massachusetts
I’m guessing that this is because they will not have been in the league long enough to receive a piece of the expansion fee.

Makes sense.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Vegas was added as part of a two team expansion...the two teams pay the fee to the other 30 teams. Why is this so hard to understand?

Sure they could have modified it and sat seattke only takes players from 30of 31 teams.

What will be watched over like a hawk is vegas being used to stash players. Like before draft team A sends player to vegas then after the draft he is traded to team B.

Vegas may be doing well now but they did a rather poor job in building a prospect pipeline. In a couple of years they are going to crash.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Vegas was added as part of a two team expansion...the two teams pay the fee to the other 30 teams. Why is this so hard to understand?

Sure they could have modified it and sat seattke only takes players from 30of 31 teams.

What will be watched over like a hawk is vegas being used to stash players. Like before draft team A sends player to vegas then after the draft he is traded to team B.

Vegas may be doing well now but they did a rather poor job in building a prospect pipeline. In a couple of years they are going to crash.

What? They just had 5 picks in the first two rounds and over the next 3 years have 8 more. Their 1st 3 picks are all highly regarded and Hague is also looking nice.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
When the league decided it was moving to 31 teams it inherently knew it would get to 32 to balance everything out. Wouldn't be surprised at all if the no player/no fee regarding 32 team were decided and agreed upon with Foley back when the Knights came into the league. These decisions are not made randomly, and such financial decisions are what these kind of business men plan for well in advance.

Jagr4President

Nov 16, 2017
Calgary
I think instead of a player they should give up their 2019 or 2020 2nd round pick. It would help out with building a roster plus Vegas has a extra in 2019 and 2 in 2020. Just a thought but might even it out.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia

Who said that they were a part of a two team expansion? I only remember Bettman saying that they were looking into into expansion and then they selected only one expansion team.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
completely fair. they're gonna be in the nhl for what, 3/4 seasons when seattle gets a team? makes no sense for them to lose a player when the organization is that young. i also love the hatred posters have towards the nhl because they were "lenient" on the draft rules towards vegas. if vegas was doing crap this season most people wouldn't complain, despite them still being a new team. its like they have to suck in their first year.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
I'm sure Vegas would gladly give up a player for a $20 million dollar check.

It's not just a player, it's the ability to operate freely.

They can play youngsters who would otherwise be exposed by experience rules and sign free agents with a guarantee that they won't end up in Seattle.

Evil Janney

Jul 12, 2004
That's fair.

People need to get over this whole, 'NHL favored Vegas nonsense'. No one at the start of the season would have expected the team to reach 100 pts. On paper they looked like a team that would finish anywhere from 7th-11th in their conference at best.

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I'm sure Vegas would gladly give up a player for a $20 million dollar check.
Yep.

1. The other clubs would have stepped in and said we want the next expansion teams' money and we don't want to share with Vegas as a condition of Vegas' entry and this has been the plan for years.

2. The only reason other teams fans are upset is because Vegas is doing very well, when all this was decided it was expected Vegas would be weak. If Vegas was bottom 3 people would be saying they should be exempt.

Reactions: phlocky

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I'm ok with that. Vegas isn't the elite team everyone thinks they are. I predicted them to make the playoffs because I thought other teams would underestimate them and be surprised. It turns out that they not only surprised everyone with their chemistry and tenacity, they also have players producing 3 times more than they should (hello William Karlsson).

They will come back down to Earth next year once the novelty wears off, and they'll be an average team as they should've been from the start.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad