Sportsnet: When Seattle joins, and expansion draft happens, nhl says vegas doesnt give up any players

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I think instead of a player they should give up their 2019 or 2020 2nd round pick. It would help out with building a roster plus Vegas has a extra in 2019 and 2 in 2020. Just a thought but might even it out.

Vegas made smart trades. They shouldn't be punished for that.

Last edited:

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
Exactly. And if they're not getting a cut, why should they have to participate? I think it's fair.
I agree 100%.

They are a new team that has accumulated a lot of picks and prospects and they league WANTS them to keep those assets and be building for the long term. The price they have to pay is that they don't get a cut of the entry fee. I think it's fair

Feb 24, 2017
I'm ok with that. Vegas isn't the elite team everyone thinks they are. I predicted them to make the playoffs because I thought other teams would underestimate them and be surprised. It turns out that they not only surprised everyone with their chemistry and tenacity, they also have players producing 3 times more than they should (hello William Karlsson).

They will come back down to Earth next year once the novelty wears off, and they'll be an average team as they should've been from the start.
Doubling down on being wrong is one way to go, absolutely.

Reactions: HanSolo

Batrous

May 4, 2016
The expansion fee cut is given to the other teams to compensate in part for the fact that those teams will lose one player at the expansion draft.

Since Vegas isn't getting any part of that fee it's only fair that they don't have to give up a player.

Reactions: phlocky
Feb 24, 2017
Why is this in the player movement section of the boards when it’s explicit that it’s about players not moving?

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Did Nashville, Minnesota and Columbus have to give up any picks when Atlanta came around?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Atlanta (1999) and Nashville (1998) didn't have to lose anyone in the 2000 expansion draft (Columbus and Minnesota)
Nashville didn't give up anyone in the 1999 expansion draft (Atlanta)

Ottawa and Tampa (1992) had to give up players in the 1993 expansion draft (Anaheim and Florida)

San Jose (1991) didn't lose anyone in 1992 expansion draft (Ottawa and Tampa)

None of those teams were given a contender in the XD. Every other team will get a lttle weaker. Vegas probably wins the SC after Seattle joins. :laugh: Seattle wins the Presidents Trophy.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
None of those teams were given a contender in the XD. Every other team will get a lttle weaker. Vegas probably wins the SC after Seattle joins. :laugh: Seattle wins the Presidents Trophy.

Let's not even remotely pretend that anyone expected the Knights to finish above the top 5, let alone be a top 15 team in the league. This team is the definition of the sum being greater than its parts.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Let's not even remotely pretend that anyone expected the Knights to finish above the top 5, let alone be a top 15 team in the league. This team is the definition of the sum being greater than its parts.

Well, I think GMGM could have done better. How good would that team have been then? OK, I'm half kidding. :laugh: But with the assets they have? They could win a cup before too long. With the same rules as Vegas had, Seattle could do better, so ...... you never know. :laugh:

No one expected the VGK to do this well but maybe somebody should have. A lot of players seem to have been underrated. Unless, of course, they all come back down to earth next year.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I mean, who is their best player that they’d even have to give up? Brayden McNabb? Is it that crazy? It’s not like any of their top players would be on the block.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Isn't it fun when your team does well in acquiring players (via trade, signing, draft/develop) and then gets bent over by the league and has to lose a good piece for nothing? Good stuff!

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Some teams took a real bad hit compared to others and that's how the next expansion draft should be graded.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Disagree with this. Vegas has had lots of success, they should be subject to the same rules the rest of the league is.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
If everyone thinks they got screwed with the Vegas draft, just wait until this one hits..

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad